[Wanted] Xserve single G4 1.33ghz cpu board
  • Just looking around
    Hello,

I am looking for this CPU board to fit inside my G4 MDD. I can either offer a dual 1.25ghz board for swap, or buy it :)

Thank you in advance
  • »06.01.20 - 01:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

CMTX wrote:
    Hello,

I am looking for this CPU board to fit inside my G4 MDD. I can either offer a dual 1.25ghz board for swap, or buy it :)

Thank you in advance

I found someone who had a single 1.25GHz G4 CPU board for the MDD PowerMac, and traded him one of the several dual 1.42GHz G4 CPU boards I had, then I overclocked the 1.25GHz CPU board to 1.5GHz, with the hopes that my MDD G4 PowerMac would run cooler than the dual G4 version, and run MorphOS a little faster, since the 2nd G4 CPU is not used for anything (yet, wasn't there some talk about trying to use the 2nd CPU for some tasks in a future PPC version of MorphOS?).

Unfortunately, I have not been able to upgrade my MDD G4 PowerMac past MorphOS3.6 or 3.7 I think, so I have not touched it in over 4 years. I'll have to get it out of the closet and see if I can get 3.12 to boot on it, and if it will, tll try to install MorphOS3.12. I like the versatility of the MDD G4 PowerMac case, as it actually has more hdd drive bays, and room for two 5-1/4" optical drives, or one optical DVD-RW, and a ZIP drive, which I have in mine. Makes it easier to "Sneaker-Net" move files between my A1200/060 and the G4 PowerMac, since I don't currently have the A1200/060 connected to the Internet, or my LAN.

Are you planning to overclock the 1.33GHz G4 CPU board, if you find one to put into your MDD G4 PowerMac tower? For mine, it was a really easy removal of one or two components, to bump it up to 1.5GHz, and some other users had even gone as far as 1.67GHz or higher, but it was more complicated, and I didn't want to push my 1.25GHz G4 any harder, so I settled for the 1.5GHz speed jump to match my MacMini, which performs really well running MorphOS, but lacks the ability to use a better graphics card, add other expansion cards, and have so many drive bays for using many old hdd's. Other than shear speed of the G5 PowerMac, or an X5000, which I have no experience with, I think that my 1.5GHz G4 MDD PowerMac is probably the best MorphOS capable system for average use. Plus, I love the way the case opens up for easy access to everything. Writing all of this is making me want to get it out and work on upgrading it to MorphOS3.12.

Good luck finding the CPU board you are looking for, and happy new year!
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.01.20 - 05:48
  • Just looking around
    I have both CPU board - one is 1.25 which is overclocked to 1.58Ghz , the second is 1.33 which is overclocked to 1.5Ghz - the differences between those two CPU board is only L3 Cache . 1MB->2MB , after overclocking i checked Geekbench scores for that CPU board and the first one achieved 960points the second 940points. So it is not a big differences.

amigadave - definitely you should try MOS 3.12 on your machine :-) change the graphics card to x800xt or better, put SSD and finally change fan to quieter version ;-) and MOS will be flying ;-)

[ Edited by Kwiatki75 06.01.2020 - 06:25 ]
  • »06.01.20 - 06:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Kwiatki75 wrote:
    I have both CPU board - one is 1.25 which is overclocked to 1.58Ghz , the second is 1.33 which is overclocked to 1.5Ghz - the differences between those two CPU board is only L3 Cache . 1MB->2MB , after overclocking i checked Geekbench scores for that CPU board and the first one achieved 960points the second 940points. So it is not a big differences.

amigadave - definitely you should try MOS 3.12 on your machine :-) change the graphics card to x800xt or better, put SSD and finally change fan to quieter version ;-) and MOS will be flying ;-)

I already replaced the old fans with quiet versions, and yes, I plan to eventually put a SSD into it as the main MorphOS storage device, to speed up the operation of MorphOS. I currently have a Radeon 8500 video card, which is fast, but very old. I have a 2nd X800 XT installed in a unregistered spare dual 2.7GHz G5 PowerMac that someone gave to me, which I could remove and place in my MDD G4 PowerMac. I need to do some liquid cooling system maintenance on my registered dual 2.7GHz G5 system, so it makes sense to get the MDD G4 system updated and working until the dual 2.7GHz G5 system is repaired and working again.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »06.01.20 - 06:40
  • Just looking around
    Hi, thanks for your advices ;)

This is exactly what i'm trying to achieve, throw one of those single xserve cpus inside my G4 and overclock it to 1.5ghz for maxing out morphos performance :)

I got this g4 two or three years ago, but it didn't get the love it deserved. Now i finished my classic machine so i have plenty of time for it. Î've ordered a wifi card and I'm also planning to get a voodoo 3 at some point for dual screen setup :)

Let's see if any pops out!

[ Edited by CMTX 06.01.2020 - 12:19 ]
  • »06.01.20 - 11:16
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

CMTX wrote:

This is exactly what i'm trying to achieve, throw one of those single xserve cpus inside my G4 and overclock it to 1.5ghz for maxing out morphos performance :)

I got this g4 two or three years ago, but it didn't get the love it deserved. Now i finished my classic machine so i have plenty of time for it. Î've ordered a wifi card and I'm also planning to get a voodoo 3 at some point for dual screen setup :)

As i mentioned before - the equal performance you can achieved by overclocking single 1.25 to 1.58Ghz.
    It is hard to find xserve cpu board.

You ordered wifi and voodoo 3 card for MDD G4?
  • »06.01.20 - 13:00
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Kwiatki75 wrote:
    Quote:

CMTX wrote:

As i mentioned before - the equal performance you can achieved by overclocking single 1.25 to 1.58Ghz.

I will wait and see if I find one of those xserve cards. I'm not in a hurry anyways :) I come from Amiga, I'm used to wait for long times if I want something :P In the meantime i have dual 1.25 with 2mb caché

My MDD is a FW400 model, no wifi G onboard, so I ordered a compatible pci nic.

About the graphics card, I am aware that the voodoo 3 is quite old for my system, but is compatible with both OS9 and morhops which would give me a dual screen setup in both OS's. Just thinking about it at the moment, i've seen that voodoo3 have scary prices on ebay so there are probably better options.

Another combination i'm thinking of is x800xt agp + radeon 9200 pci (That would in theory allow me to use os9 with radeon 9200 and morphos with both). Correct me if i'm wrong but for what i've read you can turn an ATI firegl x3 into an x800xt by flashing? And is the same for Radeon 9200 pc cards?

Cheers

[ Edited by CMTX 06.01.2020 - 16:53 ]
  • »06.01.20 - 15:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Another combination i'm thinking of is x800xt agp + radeon 9200 pci

AFAIK, the CGX limitation of only 1 Radeon card per system still applies with current MorphOS.
  • »06.01.20 - 16:06
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

CMTX wrote:
    Quote:

Kwiatki75 wrote:
    Quote:

CMTX wrote:

I will wait and see if I find one of those xserve cards. I'm not in a hurry anyways :) I come from Amiga, I'm used to wait for long times if I want something :P In the meantime i have dual 1.25 with 2mb caché

My MDD is a FW400 model, no wifi G onboard, so I ordered a compatible pci nic.

About the graphics card, I am aware that the voodoo 3 is quite old for my system, but is compatible with both OS9 and morhops which would give me a dual screen setup in both OS's. Just thinking about it at the moment, i've seen that voodoo3 have scary prices on ebay so there are probably better options.

Another combination i'm thinking of is x800xt agp + radeon 9200 pci (That would in theory allow me to use os9 with radeon 9200 and morphos with both). Correct me if i'm wrong but for what i've read you can turn an ATI firegl x3 into an x800xt by flashing? And is the same for Radeon 9200 pc cards?

Cheers

I have two MDDs :) one is for os9 with GF4600ti second is also for MOS, with Radeon9000.
    You can choose Radeon9000 for OS9 and MOS (especially version with 128mb) - working 3d with MOS and OS9.
    Radeon 9600 also working on os9 but without acceleration.

here you have all possibility and ROMs
    http://themacelite.wikidot.com/
  • »06.01.20 - 16:13
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Another combination i'm thinking of is x800xt agp + radeon 9200 pci

AFAIK, the CGX limitation of only 1 Radeon card per system still applies with current MorphOS.

Thanks for the info :) Then i'd better go for a voodoo 3!
  • »06.01.20 - 16:16
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Kwiatki75 wrote:

I have two MDDs :) one is for os9 with GF4600ti second is also for MOS, with Radeon9000.
    You can choose Radeon9000 for OS9 and MOS (especially version with 128mb) - working 3d with MOS and OS9.
    Radeon 9600 also working on os9 but without acceleration.

here you have all possibility and ROMs
    http://themacelite.wikidot.com/

Beautiful beasts!! My MDD already came with Radeon9000 pro, but only 64mb. Thanks for the link btw!
  • »06.01.20 - 16:25
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    My MDD is pretty much the same as a few other users have it. A single core 1.25 GHz overclocked to 1.5 GHz. Runs much cooler as well if you can find a copper heatsink, but that is overkill. :) Aluminum one is just fine.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »07.01.20 - 18:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Doffo wrote:
    My MDD is pretty much the same as a few other users have it. A single core 1.25 GHz overclocked to 1.5 GHz. Runs much cooler as well if you can find a copper heatsink, but that is overkill. :) Aluminum one is just fine.

Definitely its very hard to find copper heatsink for MDD ;-(
  • »08.01.20 - 11:36
  • Just looking around
    Hi! I saw a single 1.25 board (1mb) on ebay at reasonable price and didn't think twice. If I feel brave i'll try to overclock it to 1.67ghz, as i've got the copper heatsink. Have you done that before?

As for the graphics card, i'll stick with the radeon 9000 pro, a 9250 would be even better but i have no way to flash it :/

[ Edited by CMTX 09.01.2020 - 01:28 ]
  • »09.01.20 - 00:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > i'll stick with the radeon 9000 pro, a 9250 would be even better

9000 Pro is faster than 9250.
  • »09.01.20 - 06:09
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

CMTX wrote:
    Hi! I saw a single 1.25 board (1mb) on ebay at reasonable price and didn't think twice. If I feel brave i'll try to overclock it to 1.67ghz, as i've got the copper heatsink. Have you done that before?

As for the graphics card, i'll stick with the radeon 9000 pro, a 9250 would be even better but i have no way to flash it :/

safer and cooler is 1,5-1,58 Ghz - MDD in that settings is still usable . But if you give more CPU load then it will be too loud.

The best Graphics card for os9 and MOS is Radeon9000 (if you need 3d acceleration on both system)
    if not - try to use Radeon9600/9800 it still usable on os9 but without 3d acceleration)
  • »09.01.20 - 07:25
  • Just looking around
    Thank you again for your advices. The seller of the cpu board gave me the money back, maybe too expensive for him to send it to spain :( So I'm still searching.

I already registered the MDD, I'm really impressed by the advancements from 3.9. In the meantime i ordered for cheap a soundcard and a dsp to use on the os9/X side. This machine will give me a lot of fun!
  • »11.01.20 - 23:19