New questions and problems with 3.12
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    I have multiple times tried to install 3.12 on two different devices. I have found the following and wonder if there is a fix.
    3.12 installs fine on a powerbook g4, but unlike in 3.11 OWB no longer supports web based gmail, so I moved back to 3.11.
    3.12 starts to install fine on a powermac hooked up to a 4k display, with 3.11 it shows a "out of range" message and I can change the resolution and then complete the install. 3.12 just has a black screen with occasional flashes of white.
    So...
    What do I need to do to get the browser working with gmail again in 3.12?
    What do I need to do to show the install screen with 3.12?
    Thanks in advance...
    Rob
  • »05.11.19 - 16:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    For what its worth, web based gmail works fine here with OWB 1.26 (the one supplied with MorphOS 3.12).
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »05.11.19 - 16:59
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

robbhar wrote:
    What do I need to do to get the browser working with gmail again in 3.12?

Have you added/enabled the Google_Accounts_Fix.js script from Windows->Scripts?

Quote:

What do I need to do to show the install screen with 3.12?

Try booting with the Ctrl key pressed to force it to a standard vesa screenmode?
  • »05.11.19 - 17:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Thanks for the reply.
    The CTRL does nothing when booting, I tried with a standard and a a Mac keyboard. Of course I have to hold the C key to boot from the CD as well...
    I did find the googleaccountfix.js on warmup so I can try that if I ever got to a booted up 3.12.
    Are there other key presses I can try during bootup?
    Also since on one machine I don't want to loos my 3.11 files, does this page still show true for how to upgrade MorphOS?
    https://distrita.com/morphos-upgrade-guide-on-ppc-macs/
    Thanks,
    Rob
  • »06.11.19 - 23:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

robbhar wrote:
    The CTRL does nothing when booting, I tried with a standard and a a Mac keyboard. Of course I have to hold the C key to boot from the CD as well...

You need to press CTRL after MorphOS has already started booting from CD. So once you hear the CD being read, release C and press CTRL. CD boot should give you a few seconds to do this.

Another thing you might try is to boot without DVI connected. Connect it after the system has already booted - that'll ensure it uses a lower resolution.

Quote:

https://distrita.com/morphos-upgrade-guide-on-ppc-macs/

It'll work, but since you can boot from CD, why not update from there?
  • »07.11.19 - 07:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

robbhar wrote:
    I did find the googleaccountfix.js on warmup so I can try that if I ever got to a booted up 3.12.

No need to download it elsewhere, it already comes bundled with MorphOS 3.12. Just open the Scripts window in OWB and click Add to select the script. Restart OWB to take the new script(s) in use.

Quote:

Are there other key presses I can try during bootup?

The Shift key should take you into a graphical MorphOS boot menu where you can also select few different standard screenmodes. If you have difficulties to get anything work by pressing the keys, you could also try to activate this bootmenu by booting from the Open Firmware prompt. See the instructions here: Boot Arguments

Quote:

Also since on one machine I don't want to loos my 3.11 files, does this page still show true for how to upgrade MorphOS

The Update option in the MorphOS installer has worked very well always. It doesn't matter if you do it easy way by booting from the CD or little more harder (but faster filecopying) way by booting from the ISO file, which ever way you want (or works for you) until you use the official installer and select the Update option there.
  • »07.11.19 - 09:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Thank you both, I was able to update, retain my files, and get gmail again.
    Rob
  • »07.11.19 - 19:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    To reiterate on this: when updating from 3.11, what happens to my custom icons, are the replaced with the standard ones?
  • »21.11.19 - 21:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

amifrog wrote:
    To reiterate on this: when updating from 3.11, what happens to my custom icons, are the replaced with the standard ones?

IWizard does not generally overwrite icons.
  • »21.11.19 - 22:24
    Profile Visit Website