G5 Dual/Quad core - how much would it take...?
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> Radeon X1900 mac version (very hard to find and expensive)

> Apple X1900GT [...] are easy to come by.

Yes, but price very much depends on your location. Currently, eBay Germany only lists an offer by a US dealer (59 EUR + 54 EUR shipping, new, more than 10 available). 113 EUR for the card is pretty steep.

>> Lack of drivers for:
    >> - builtin network card (i need to use Realtek on PCIe)
    >> - fans (always on middle speed)
    >> - temperature support

> I doesn't seem fair that you would restrict use of PCI-E G5s to
    > developers based solely on the network support issue.

That's why it isn't based solely on the network support issue, I guess ;-)

If any of you find X1900GT cards in the US, I can ship them to Germany for about $23.00 via first class postage, or about $35 using priority mail.
    The card I own cost me $20.

And the PCI-E G5 under MorphOS would be able to use PC video cards for R500 and above Radeon. Currently this would allow the X1950XTX to be used, which is quite a fast card with 512mb of vram.
    Yesterday, I bought a Radeon HD 6750 for my quad on eBay for $25.
    This card should eventually be supported under MorphOS (Mark has one).

As to fan control. Give me a version with the fans set to full and I'll add manual fan trimmer pots until software control is enabled.

[ Edited by Jim 16.09.2017 - 08:29 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »16.09.17 - 12:28
    Kronos
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

As to fan control. Give me a version with the fans set to full and I'll add manual fan trimmer pots until software control is enabled.

There is a reason why those fans can run that hard, and there is a reason why they fall back to full speed when no SW sets them lower for x seconds.

-> putting them to fixed (lower) speed will be the death of your G5.....
  • »16.09.17 - 13:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    If any of you find X1900GT cards in the US, I can ship them to Germany for about $23.00 via first class postage, or about $35 using priority mail.
    The card I own cost me $20.

I think it's worth noting that "Mac Pro compatible" X1900 series cards won't run with dual/quad core G5 (at least with Open Firmware and OSX) unless they're properly flashed. And yes, I don't see a single one on eBay now so they do seem rare.
  • »16.09.17 - 13:33
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

I think it's worth noting that "Mac Pro compatible" X1900 series cards won't run with dual/quad core G5 (at least with Open Firmware and OSX) unless they're properly flashed. And yes, I don't see a single one on eBay now so they do seem rare.

There are three listed there right now, the cheapest is $55 with free shipping, and I fail to see what Mac Pro video cards has to do with anything, as our users aren't stupid enough to assume that Mac X64 cards will work in a G5, and PC cards are cheaper anyeay.
    Personally, I'd recommend a PC X1950XTX, but I'm unsure if you'd need an Apple firmware card in order to boot.
    One friend of mine has an Apple Nvidia 6600 in his system in order to get the system started, but others have told me that they are running Radeon HD cards by themselves.
    In any case, Apple X1900GT cards are NOT rare.
    Would you like me to post the listings?

And, as to Kronos' suggestion that the fans couldn't be altered in the G5, I'd be will to experiment with that.
    Just give me a copy of the OS that is set to run the fans at full speed.

[ Edited by Jim 16.09.2017 - 12:22 ]
  • »16.09.17 - 16:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    There are three listed there right now, the cheapest is $55 with free shipping, and I fail to see what Mac Pro video cards has to do with anything, as our users aren't stupid enough to assume that Mac X64 cards will work in a G5, and PC cards are cheaper anyeay.

...and I'm pretty sure that most of (or maybe even all of) the "New Apple Mac G5 PCIe Dual/Quad Core PPC ATI Radeon X1900 GT" we can find on eBay for 60-70$ are just reflashed PC ones. And even if the card is a "prolonged" one (to fit in the mounting brackets of G5) I'd say it's been pulled from a Mac Pro, not a G5.
  • »16.09.17 - 18:51
    Kronos
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

There are three listed there right now, the cheapest is $55 with free shipping, and I fail to see what Mac Pro video cards has to do with anything,

Tried various combinations in search and I found:

- Mac Edition Apple G5 ATI Radeon X1900GT 256 at 69.75$ + 64.30$ shipping (+VAT when I'd try to get it out of the customs office)
    might be a reflashed PC card

- some MacPro cards in Europe between 20€ and 129€ ("buy now" and finished auctions)

- PC cards at around 10€

So if you see cheap genuine G5 cards in the US they are most likely not offering intl. shipping.
  • »16.09.17 - 19:45
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Again, three listed on eBay in the US, all appear to be genuine Apple G5 cards as the MacPro X1900 and most PC X1900 cards are dual slot cards.
    If you want to argue from a point of prejudice, by all means, it's your choice.

But these ARE available, they are cheap, and I'm willing to ship any that US sellers won't.

So your point is...'I want to be hard headed' I'd assume.

Addendum - The first two cards are listed as shipping available to Europe, the third ships to Germany.

Did you guys need more than one? 😁

[ Edited by Jim 16.09.2017 - 16:51 ]
  • »16.09.17 - 20:46
    Kronos
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Just pointing out that these (for one reason or another) can't be found searching German ebay.

ATM I'm not really interested in another G5 (pretty happy with my dual screen G4 setup) and if I ever was I'm might opt for the noOF/noOSX option.....
  • »16.09.17 - 21:08
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

Just pointing out that these (for one reason or another) can't be found searching German ebay.

ATM I'm not really interested in another G5 (pretty happy with my dual screen G4 setup) and if I ever was I'm might opt for the noOF/noOSX option.....

Sorry, that was a little rude.
    I still get more use out of my MDD myself.
    And the quad G5 is only good for Linux (or worse yet, OSX).

I think I've said before, I think the G4 is a perfectly fine MorphOS system. If it had gpu assisted video decoding, it would have no problem displaying HD video.
    As it is, 640x480 video still work on my system. And virtually everything I watch can be scaled to that.
  • »16.09.17 - 22:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:

I think I've said before, I think the G4 is a perfectly fine MorphOS system. If it had gpu assisted video decoding, it would have no problem displaying HD video.
    As it is, 640x480 video still work on my system. And virtually everything I watch can be scaled to that.

Plus JS JIT. These two things would speed up everyday usage of MorphOS rather dramatically.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »16.09.17 - 22:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:

Plus JS JIT. These two things would speed up everyday usage of MorphOS rather dramatically.

Yes, I asked Mark about that, but I didn't get a response.
    That would be very useful.
  • »16.09.17 - 22:30
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Hi, i'm going to try and boot it on my G5 somewhere next week. First i have to install the Radeon i've bought a while ago.
    It's being said one is encouraged to register the machine even without paying immediately; but how does this work without network?
    I've got the wireless/bt module laying around somewhere, but not installed yet.

Well, first it has to run at all, then we will see...
  • »16.11.19 - 08:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It's being said one is encouraged to register the machine even without
    > paying immediately; but how does this work without network?

With a supported Ethernet card :-)
  • »16.11.19 - 11:39
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Ah, thanx. Ordered on the spot, will certainly arrive on time.:)
  • »16.11.19 - 11:55
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    I just set everything up, installed the RadeonX1900XT and the NIC cards, and they seem to work fine with OSX (The NIC has no driver but is recognized at boot with a green link, and shows in System Profiler).
    Unfortunatly, when i try to boot MorphOS3.12 it seems to load files from the CD but the only thing i see is a white screen. I have both outputs connected, but only one works, as i said, showing a white screen....

Any suggestion where to look at?

Pics

e3brjn55_png.htm xbench
    nt26b6zz_png.htm sprofiler
    57yghmem_png.htm driver inst.
  • »21.11.19 - 11:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

amifrog wrote:
    Any suggestion where to look at?

Is your Radeon from the compatibility list?
  • »21.11.19 - 12:10
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    I'm not sure. It's a Radeon X1900XT/256MB.
  • »21.11.19 - 12:17