Selecting Audio output device
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Another noobie question, but where do I select which device to use for audio output?
  • »15.10.19 - 20:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    "Settings -> System..." from the screenbar. "Audio". Then you choose modes from the list for "Music unit" and "Units 0-3". Note that some programs can also have their own audio settings.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »15.10.19 - 21:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Thanks, I thought I might get lucky with my Focusrite Scarlett, but it's not working when trying all 3.

I do however see it being loaded in the USB section

Screen02.png
  • »16.10.19 - 08:01
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

MoerBoer schrieb:
    Thanks, I thought I might get lucky with my Focusrite Scarlett, but it's not working when trying all 3.

Screen02.png

As you might have noticed in the log, it outputs

"Unsupported audio class spec version 2.0"

which obviously means that the supplied usbaudio.class driver can't handle it. While this version exists for quite a while, many of today's usb audio devices still use the older spec as it is sufficient for most needs.
    The more professional/expensive devices probably moved over to 2.0 spec by now, though. This definitely requires some additional work on the driver which isn't one of our top priorities at the moment.
  • »16.10.19 - 09:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Thanks @cyfm!

I appreciate the feedback. It's not really a problem, was just playing around with the OS and thought I would try the Scarlett.

p.s. I'm really enjoying playing with OS. Not that it's in any way the same, but reminds me of the old BeOS days. Fast and extremely responsive.

Great job guys.
  • »16.10.19 - 10:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

cyfm wrote:
    Quote:

MoerBoer schrieb:

Screen02.png

As you might have noticed in the log, it outputs

"Unsupported audio class spec version 2.0"

which obviously means that the supplied usbaudio.class driver can't handle it. While this version exists for quite a while, many of today's usb audio devices still use the older spec as it is sufficient for most needs.
    The more professional/expensive devices probably moved over to 2.0 spec by now, though. This definitely requires some additional work on the driver which isn't one of our top priorities at the moment.

I have tried more than 12 external USB DACs and they ALL use usb audio 2.0. and failed with MorphOS. And they are not all that recent.
    Implementing USB Audio 2.0 would be a serious plus. It would allow the use of most external DACs with Mos.
    But as AHI sucks and can't output native hi res streams and does an awful job at resampling, i think it's the whole audio layer that should be changed for MorphOS for something more modern with proper bitperfect output.
    That would turn MorphOS into a perfect Audiophile OS.
  • »17.10.19 - 10:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I've had a very productive discussion about this with Tcheko in Neuss. 3.14 will hopefully improve things considerably in this regard.

That said, got a list of 2.0 devices? I've gotta buy some hardware for testing.
  • »17.10.19 - 10:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    I've had a very productive discussion about this with Tcheko in Neuss. 3.14 will hopefully improve things considerably in this regard.

Oh wow, that's awesome news!

I am currently running this : https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-2i2

This interface seems to be pretty popular as far as I can see.

I also have an old MBox2, but I think that will use a proprietary driver. ( Although Linux seems to be picking it up just fine )
  • »17.10.19 - 11:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

sounds promising !

the DACs i tried were mostly some mid or high end DAPs :

- Astell & Kern SP1000
    - Astell & Kern AK320
    - Fiio X7 mk2
    - Fiio M11
    - Sony WM1A

and also a few DACs :

- Topping D10
    - iFi Audio Nano iDSD Black Label
    - iFi Audio XDSD
    - iFi Audio iFi Micro iDSD Black Label
    - RHA Dacamp L1

from those i remember. I write some reviews for a french audiophile forum, especially portable stuff that's how i got access to so many ones.

Will try some more in the future :)

the Fiio K3 dac/amp may be a good option as it supports USA Audio 1 & 2, you can select one or the other with a switch.

[ Edited by SoundSquare 17.10.2019 - 17:40 ]
  • »17.10.19 - 16:36
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    tolkien
    Speaking about audio...Morphos now support firewire but I guess there is no plan to add audio to firewire, isnt there?
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »17.10.19 - 18:45
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

tolkien schrieb:
    Speaking about audio...Morphos now support firewire but I guess there is no plan to add audio to firewire, isnt there?

With a Helios DDK we could make our own audio class...
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »17.10.19 - 19:47