Is there a Secure FTP download/upload program for MorphOS?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I was trying to upload a file or two to a webpage but find that the server has been modified fairly recently to use TLS and does not allow anymore Ami Trade Centre - that I've used before, as it now returns the message "... cleartext sessions and weak ciphers are not accepted on this server.... Please reconnect using TLS security mechanisms." :-(

I tried Transfer v2.5, but even though I selected SFTP as the connecting option I think the same issue exists for that utility as well.

So, do we have a way (program/utility) of transferring files via TLS/Secure FTP, or have others used Transfer v2.5 successfully recently? :-?

I have used Transfer v2.5 also in the past, and managed OK with it, but it is not connecting for me at the moment. :-(

I know there is hURL - a Plugin for Hollywood v8+, but I don't know of any application/utility that has been authored to take advantage of its possibilities at the moment, unless someone else knows differently? :-?.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »30.09.19 - 06:11
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    You'll find sftp in :Applications/RemoteShell/files or in the SDK.

No idea why Transfer would not work for you though. Could be down to a bug and then it's likely fixed in the upcoming 3.12.
  • »30.09.19 - 06:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    First of all, there are two different secure FTP protocols: FTPS and SFTP. Server asking for TLS indicates that it wants to use the FTPS protocol, which is just a extension over the traditional FTP protocol. SFTP is its own protocol which usually works over SSH.

I think that Transfer only supports FTP and SFTP, but not FTPS, and that's why you can't get it to work if your server doesn't offer SFTP service and denies the unencrypted FTP.

I have drafted a proof-of-concept FTP client with Hollywood, which can basically get file listings and transfer files over FTP, but doesn't do anything else at the moment. Next step would be trying to implement secure protocols, but unfortunately SFTP wasn't compiled to hURL after all, so that'd need to wait for an update, but I think that FTPS could be done already. The next step would be trying if I could get that work... I've been thinking that how much time I should put into this or is it useless, because we have Transfer, but if there's demand, maybe I could continue when I get over of my recent hurries.
  • »30.09.19 - 06:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I appreciate both of your responses, especially as you've replied so quickly, and thanks jacadcaps for the mention of the upcoming v3.12 release and that this issue is likely fixed with it.

@ jPV - I thought you might be considering such a utility with Hollywood, and I'll let you know how much further I get, as I'll ensure the server port is still correct for the transfer to the hosted files, and take it from there, but Transfer did work before they migtaed to TLS, and maybe that's not properly enabled with the current version of Transfer v2.5, as it also worked with AmiTrade Centre, but neither are working / uploading / accessing the files at the moment.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »30.09.19 - 07:39
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > thanks jacadcaps for the mention of the upcoming
    > v3.12 release and that this issue is likely fixed with it.

As I understand jPV's reply, jacadcaps' reply was based on a misunderstanding, confusing SFTP and FTPS.

> Transfer did work before they migtaed to TLS, and maybe that's
    > not properly enabled with the current version of Transfer v2.5,
    > as it also worked with AmiTrade Centre, but neither are
    > working / uploading / accessing the files at the moment.

As jPV said, current Transfer version does not support FTPS, just like ATC.
  • »30.09.19 - 12:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Well, yeah. Indeed Transfer only does plain old FTP and SFTP. There's no FTPS support.
  • »30.09.19 - 13:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    After quite a long gap between my last update - it seems that it is FTPS that I need to use as the other options no longer work to access the data on the server. :-(

So, for me, FTPS cannot be implemented soon enough for any utility, new or modified, for that type of data transfer to work through MorphOS, as I am having to use a Windows FTPS utility for now.

Is FTPS likely to be implemented soon?
  • »09.01.20 - 00:03