Any reason to keep OSX?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    The Mac Mini G4 I bought came with OSX installed. As far as I can see, there is not any good use of it, but I'd like to ask anyway:

Do you dual boot with OSX? If you do, what's the reason?

Thanks.
  • »15.09.19 - 04:54
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Unless you have a soft spot for MacOS as an ex-user (I am not), then absolutely no. I had installed latest MacOS versions available both on a G4 and a G5 and the system was much less responsive compared to MorphOS. It has a terrible internet browsing experience compared to latest OWB, the video players tend to crash playing the same video formats that MPlayer does just fine and similar games were smoother on MorphOS as well. If you are going after for the games that don't exists on MorphOS (such as Doom 3) you will be disappointed to find out that they play much better on a 10 year old pc laptops that cost approx. 50 euros. Btw the user experience was much worse comaored to some Linux distro I had also installed at the past. Bottom line, my macs are single booting MorphOS.
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »15.09.19 - 07:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I've installed MacOS on a USB-Stick, just for playing around a bit (I never was a Mac-user before). There is no really need for MacOS, except perhaps to silence this annoying startup-chime.....(can also be done with a linux-live-CD).
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »15.09.19 - 08:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MacOS [...] has a terrible internet browsing experience compared to latest OWB

With which browser(s) in particular?

> the video players tend to crash playing the same video formats that MPlayer
    > does just fine

Which video players in particular?
  • »15.09.19 - 11:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    If you have some particular ppc Mac OS software that's worthwhile, then keep OS X. For example I have an old copy of the Adobe Creative Suite and still use that from time to time. It's a bit old, but enough for my needs and much better than pirating something current for Windows or shelling out the money for the legal copy.
    The internal hdd is MorphOS exclsive though, as I have OS X installed on an external FW drive.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.09.19 - 19:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Thanks everyone for all your comments. Obviously, there is no need for me to keep it. I'll just wipe the disk and install a fresh Morphos.
    Too bad I don't have wifi installed in it. I'll need a pretty long ethernet cable. :)
  • »16.09.19 - 03:06
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

retrolinuz wrote:
    Thanks everyone for all your comments. Obviously, there is no need for me to keep it. I'll just wipe the disk and install a fresh Morphos.

Just turn down the volume from OSX when you last time shut it down, if you don't want to keep the horrible boot chime on the machine with MorphOS :)

Quote:

Too bad I don't have wifi installed in it. I'll need a pretty long ethernet cable. :)

Cable will be much better and reliable anyway. You'd most likely have packet loss and not that good connection with an internal wlan.
  • »16.09.19 - 06:01
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    About browsing it was tenfourfox and Safari which was included with the OS. Both were slower, sluggish, crashed especially when accessing sites full of js and didn't access a great deal of the websites that OWB did just fine. Video player was the one included with the OS (think it was qt?) and an other one which is had downloaded (think it was vlc). On Quake iii finally, either was getting similar fps or even slower compared to settings tried and/or test environment (maps, number of enemies etc).

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 16.09.2019 - 08:59 ]
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »16.09.19 - 06:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > tenfourfox [...] crashed especially when accessing sites full of js and
    > didn't access a great deal of the websites that OWB did just fine.

Interesting. It's the opposite experience for me.
  • »16.09.19 - 15:05
  • fmh
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    fmh
    Tenfour Fox works great for me too. Just be sure to download the latest version and it should be a better experience for you.

Anyways I dual boot between OSX and MorphOS on my G5. I use OSX for transferring VHS to digital, for Web Sites OWB doesn't handle well and some games.
    G5 2.0DP, MorphOS3.13
  • »16.09.19 - 15:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

fmh wrote:
    I use OSX for transferring VHS to digital, for Web Sites OWB doesn't handle well and some games.

I'm interested in playing Amiga games on an Amiga-like modern OS. :) And, even though I heard OWB is working surprisingly well, Internet browsing is not even one of my concerns.

I don't have time these days for it, but on this weekend, I'll be wiping out the disk and installing a clear MorphOS. :)

May I ask you why you use OSX specifically for transferring VHS to digital?
  • »17.09.19 - 03:05
  • fmh
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    fmh
    I have a Pinacle Firewire 400 converter box. I use iLife05 iMovie and iDVD for the conversion process on the G5. It goes really smooth with this setup. If I have a large amount of VHS tapes to convert I will capture them on the G5 in iMovie and then copy the files to my Intel Mac and render them in iDVD on the Intel Mac. Then on either Mac in DVDRemaster create .MP4 movie files from the DVD ISOs.
    G5 2.0DP, MorphOS3.13
  • »21.09.19 - 13:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    only morphos. osx does not support my radeon.. so fuck it.
  • »21.09.19 - 20:25
    KennyR
    The only reason to keep OSX would be to turn off the annoying boot jingle.
  • »21.09.19 - 20:54
    tolkien
    The only reason i have to keep osx is to can use Reaper. Its an old versión but ver y useful!
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »21.09.19 - 21:20
    analogkid
    The latest LibreOffice version for OSX PPC, 4.0 still is better than anything comparable on MorphOS.
  • »29.04.21 - 05:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    For me there is only one reason to keep MacOSX:
    strategy game Victoria ;-))
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »29.04.21 - 08:20
    tolkien
    The only reason I have it is to run Reaper DAW. But is true that I use it in my PC now so...
    MorphOS: PowerMac G5 - PowerBook G4 - MacMini.
    Classic: Amiga 1200/060 - A500 PiStorm
  • »29.04.21 - 08:47
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I'd keep OSX (that's what I have done), since the OS has a huge library of available software, better word processing and somewhat better web browsing (again, TenFourFox).

There's nothing inherently wrong with the OS (I find it quite similar to Windows), it might even be slightly superior (to Windows).
    The learning curve isn't very steep (MorphOS is harder to adopt in many ways).

In fact, at one time I was thinking about a triple boot with a PPC Linux distro.

But that's kind of silly.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »29.04.21 - 15:46
  • K-L
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    K-L
    I deleted Mac OS X a soon as I received my PowerMac Bi G5. 2,7Ghz. MorphOS was installed juste after that.

We already own other Apple products with macOS (Mac Pro 2008 and Mac Pro 2013) so we don't need an unsupported version of Apple's OS (and MorphOS gives me all what I need in a faster way).
    PowerMac G5 2,7 Ghz / Radeon 9650 / MorphOS 3.15
    AmigaOne X1000 (unused ATM)
  • »29.04.21 - 18:22
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Condor
    Well, I have installed MacOsX 10.4 Tiger on second partition. I never used MacOsX before and for me is fun to have official os as alternative boot. Now is most of MacPPC software free to download and use, so I was happy when I found MacGarden site full of old Mac Software.

Games like Fallout1, Fallout2, Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Diablo, SettlersII, AgeOfEmpire and many more I was play on my sweet little machine.
    Software like TenFourFox, Office2004, Paintshop, Lightwave, Poser and many of MM, CAD, DTP, NET is also nice to have around. Even outdated.

This is on original 80Gb Hardrive, 2Gb MorphOs Sys, 50Gb MorphOsWork and rest of drive is MacOsX.
    Just little press on ALT button and you can choose booting from MorphOs or MacOsX. Best of both worlds for MacMiniG4.
  • »29.04.21 - 19:57
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    If one can have it on an external drive it is strongly advised to keep a working OS X installation at hand.
    There a just a lot of things that are easier to do with the designated OS.

If you have even an installation with more working professional apps, like Office, Photoshop or somethin, keep it.

Of course if you are a long wintered Mac user you must preserve every generation you had as a working bridge system, anything else would be silly!
    😉
  • »29.04.21 - 22:02