Back to Amiga, new to MorphOS
  • Just looking around
    I used to have am Amiga 500 with the 1MB expansion, and have watched the Amiga fight over the years and am ready to dive n and build a MorphOS system

I looked at hardware requirements, and I want to use a PowerMac G4 or G5- otherwise I have a few questions:

Is there a noticeable difference in using a G5 vs G4? (Or, for that matter, a Mac mini?) I want to optimize and make it as powerful as I can... although I keep reading how smooth it is, so maybe I'm overthinking how much horsepower I need in CPU, RAM and GPU?

If I want to run two monitors, what GPU(s) are best for MorphOS?

I miss my Amiga days and think I'm going to enjoy using my MorphOS machine for creative stuff I miss doing. I'm really looking forward to jumping in!

Finally- because the history of the Amiga has been so winding and twisted (I'm as familiar as anyone that followed) I don't really know where to start with MorphOS. I plan on writing on it, playing music, def old Amiga games, web browsing (assuming experience is good) but mostly I want a different OS. I'm bored to death in my day to day using the same crap we're all locked into now and I need a creative outlet. I want to get excited when I power on my computer again like I was in the 90s. Slowly but surely, I'll use it more as I discover what MorphOS apps I prefer using on it
  • »22.08.19 - 19:56
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Yes, there's a very noticeable difference between G4 and G5 in performance, especially with things like browsing. However the G5 is also a good bit hotter, noisier and power-draining, and you can't use the second CPU in double CPU machines. So it's your call whether the extra fuss of the G5 is worth it for you.

And welcome to MorphOS.
  • »22.08.19 - 21:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Is there a noticeable difference in using a G5 vs G4?

Yes, my 2.3 GHz G5 feels noticeably faster than the 1.5 GHz G4 I used previously.

> If I want to run two monitors, what GPU(s) are best for MorphOS?

Radeon + Voodoo.

> web browsing (assuming experience is good)

Experience is as to be expected from a half a decade old browser engine.
  • »22.08.19 - 21:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > you can't use the second CPU in double CPU machines.

Yes, that's true for both G4 and G5, but MorphOS disables the unused G5 CPU which it doesn't for the unused G4 CPU.
  • »22.08.19 - 21:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > you can't use the second CPU in double CPU machines.

Yes, that's true for both G4 and G5, but MorphOS disables the unused G5 CPU which it doesn't for the unused G4 CPU.

I had forgotten that about the G4 not having the 2nd CPU shut down by MorphOS (or I never knew it, same difference).

Welcome back Edicus Rex! Great to see more former Amiga users coming to the MorphOS community.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »23.08.19 - 02:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > If I want to run two monitors, what GPU(s) are best for MorphOS?

Radeon + Voodoo.

Shame Voodoo does not work on a G5.
  • »23.08.19 - 16:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> If I want to run two monitors, what GPU(s) are best for MorphOS?

>> Radeon + Voodoo.

> Shame Voodoo does not work on a G5.

...if used together with a Radeon. That's also what the linked comment says, btw. Furthermore, it refers to another comment in that same thread that has a report of a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI working with MorphOS as the sole graphics card in a PowerMac G5.
  • »23.08.19 - 19:17
  • Just looking around
    Thank you for the welcome, everyone.

I also appreciate the links to the person working on a dual monitor setup- I’ll copy their success- it is sounding like a G5 is likely the way to go.

Looking forward to diving in
  • »24.08.19 - 20:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> Voodoo does not work on a G5.

>> ...if used together with a Radeon.

> I also appreciate the links to the person working on a dual monitor setup-
    > I’ll copy their success- it is sounding like a G5 is likely the way to go.

That person so far did not have any success with dual-monitor setup on his G5 as far as I can see.
  • »24.08.19 - 21:29
  • Just looking around
    It appears you are correct.

I think I have more reading to do
  • »25.08.19 - 22:19
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Edicus_Rex wrote: I think I have more reading to do

Welcome back to using an Amiga based system, and even though some features of MorphOS are likely to feel a little strange, as they did for me when I started using it in 2012 there is a definite improvement in almost every area of the OS that has enhanced its features and capabilities that far surpassed even my initial hopes, and I hope the same is true for you, over time.

Don't forget to take a look at More Reading where there is much to discover, but I feel sure any MorphOS user would say ask any questions you can't find answers for in the library directly here in these forums.

Have a great time using and enjoying MorphOS :bloons:
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »26.08.19 - 06:41
  • Just looking around
    Thank you very much 😊. I’m sure I’ll have questions after I get it installed on a machine.
  • »26.08.19 - 21:19