FinalWriter 97 sudden inexplicable failure..
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    @ jPV - You're right, as usual.

I had just used a screenmode higher than 8-bit and the program cannot handle that, it will work OK on 8-bit screens, up to 256 colours, but higher than that it seems, and it's almost unuseable - as I set it up when I first used MorphOS to use a 24 bit screen, and the background was so dark I could barely even make out the mouse cursor on the screen/GUI.

If I select "Same as Workbench" it also works well for me (Not at MorphOS at the moment - but believe this was the final option under the various screenmodes).
  • »15.08.19 - 09:45
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Ginger1 wrote:
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    @ jPV - You're right, as usual.

I had just used a screenmode higher than 8-bit and the program cannot handle that, it will work OK on 8-bit screens, up to 256 colours, but higher than that it seems, and it's almost unuseable - as I set it up when I first used MorphOS to use a 24 bit screen, and the background was so dark I could barely even make out the mouse cursor on the screen/GUI.

If I select "Same as Workbench" it also works well for me (Not at MorphOS at the moment - but believe this was the final option under the various screenmodes).

It probably depends on what kind of screenmode you have set for Ambient then. With my 24bit (enhanced) Ambient screen I got wrong colors with the "Same as Workbench" option.
  • »15.08.19 - 10:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I was looking to load up Final Writer 97 / 5.06 for some word processing earlier, and got a blank GUI window with the Final Writer title screen, and then a freeze/lockup on my system so you couldn't do anything else, other than reboot.

Thought the prefs might be faulty, so dispensed with the old ones for new ones to be created on re-startup of the program, and sure enough I got the Final Writer ScreenMode requester, so chose an 8 bit screen with 256 colours but the same situation occurred again - freeze/lockup - anyone else encountered the same issues recently? :-?

I can't use/get Final Writer to load up at the moment. I'll try a few other changes but I am not optimistic it's resolvable ATM. :-(
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »29.12.20 - 07:14
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I still have the same Final Writer installation and the same settings, and it still works just fine for me. I've occasionally written small documents with it and printted them without problems. And it still starts fine now with the latest MorphOS versions etc... so hard to say, but let's see if we figure out anything...

[ Edited by jPV 07.01.2021 - 20:17 ]
  • »07.01.21 - 18:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Regarding PageStream v5 - forget it - it's basically useless. Buy PageStream v4.1.5.6 Pro - that works OK on MorphOS, it does crash/freeze on the odd occasion, but save regularly and you should be OK. It's generally OK, but when you put your trust that it's OK, and haven't saved frequently - then 'sod's law' takes over and lets you down. :-(

I use PgS 4.1.5.6 Pro regularly and that's why I can say it's OK. 8-)

I have both PGS m68k versions, but since I dont have previous experience with it,
    I find DTP programme a bit difficult compared to e.g. Amiga Writter.

Any 3rd solution for easy WYSWYG text editing, or some advanced tutorial in PGS4?

PGS5 Windows works well, too bad MOS, m68k, OS4 versions are so buggy and broken.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »22.02.24 - 14:33