How to get VNCServer working at startup
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    Hi guys,

Long time no see.

I installed MOS on Macmini and I want to setup the VNC Server to run when the system starts up.
    I want to modify the settings when is starting.

Question, is there a link describing that ?

Thank you,

--back to basics
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »02.08.19 - 18:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    Thanks,
    I did that, but I have the Macmini with no monitor attached and it seems that is causing the problem.
    I guess my setup without a monitor is not going to work ...

--back to basics
  • »03.08.19 - 19:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    It should work w/o Monitor, even without gfx card with the Virtual driver (MOSSYS:Storage/Monitors/Virtual).
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »03.08.19 - 19:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    I believe I have to give an update on this...
    The solution was easy.

1. I made the settings I wanted
    2. I copied the VNCserver app to WBStartup folder

The correct settings are:
    - Accept LAN connection only:check (Access list Tab)
    - Prompt local user to accept connections:uncheck (Settings Tab)

And use VNC Viewer 4 client.
    Newer versions seems that are not working well.

Thanks

--back to basics
  • »09.08.19 - 14:47
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    BSzili
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but is there any way to get some kind of log from VNCServe? I've been using it with RealVNC successfully, but after one of the system updates (3.12 or 3.13) it stopped working, when I try to connect it just times out. I tried mucking around the settings, turning "Accept LAN connection only" on/off, adding 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 to the access list, etc., but nothing helped. The network configuration including the IP addresses is the same. I thought maybe I could find some clues in the logs, but I don't know how to enable them.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »14.03.20 - 11:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    Sorry for hijacking the thread, but is there any way to get some kind of log from VNCServe? I've been using it with RealVNC successfully, but after one of the system updates (3.12 or 3.13) it stopped working, when I try to connect it just times out. I tried mucking around the settings, turning "Accept LAN connection only" on/off, adding 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 to the access list, etc., but nothing helped. The network configuration including the IP addresses is the same. I thought maybe I could find some clues in the logs, but I don't know how to enable them.

Well, I use TwinVNC to connect to my linux mint system as well as to my Pegasos2 from my PowerMac..

I think 0.0.0.0 is the problem here. I used "Allow 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0" and "Deny: all" at the end. This works without any issue for years now.

Ah, and I forgot. Do not! Never Ever! Add applications that try to connect to the internet into the wbstartup folder. This may work today and tomorrow, but for sure will fail in the future.

Use the network-startup file in s: for ensuring network in up and running, before the application gets launched.

[ Edited by geit 14.03.2020 - 22:03 ]
  • »14.03.20 - 21:54
    BSzili
    I only added 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 as an act of desperation, the access list has the correct IP and mask of the client. I can remove or add it, it makes no difference. Unlike the OP, I always launched it from the network-startup with "Run >NIL:", so in theory I'm doing everything by the books. This all used to work a couple of updates ago, so I'm really lost about what changed. That's why I thought maybe there's a log I can check to see if VNCServer receives any incoming connection at all. I tried TightVNC instead of RealVNC, but it times out as well.
  • »15.03.20 - 06:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    I added the network-startup as previous posters did install using the wbstartup drawer.

Maybe we should add a tooltype "WAITFORNETWORK" so Ambient will delay launching these applications until network came up.

Well, in VNC Server GUI there is at least an entry for each connection.

I did nothing special to set it up and never had any issue.

Global password and settings are used. And I used shared method: always shared.

Works that way since MorphOS 2 or so without any change.
  • »15.03.20 - 13:42
    BSzili
    Sorry I had to post in an existing thread, so it created some confusion. I'll try the tooltype, but network-startup is already delayed until the network is up. If that doesn't work, then I guess I have to give up on VNC, and buy a KVM switch.
  • »15.03.20 - 14:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Well, you can always boot, launch vncserver by hand and test.

As I said I have no problems for years. My Pegasos2 is running 24/7 in storage for years. Just power and network connected.

I mainly use it as svn/ftp server, but when required e.g. updating MorphOS I connect and update using vnc.

MacBookPro, IPad and PowerMac (MorphOS/TwinVNC) are used to connect to it. Since VNCServer is part of MorphOS I donĀ“t use any external software on server side.

As client I use TwinVNC, which is nice as you can setup icons with tooltypes for any server.

I gave up KVM usage a long time ago. :D But I use VNC for everything. I even use VNC on MorphOS (PowerMac 933Mhz DualScreen on a voodoo3) to perform CAD on a linux system.

It never feels slow or remote. It feels like if the system is placed under the desk.

[ Edited by geit 15.03.2020 - 16:57 ]
  • »15.03.20 - 16:54
    BSzili
    I forgot to mention, but I already tried starting VNCServer manually, and it made no difference. I also liked the convenience of VNC while it lasted, but since I have no idea how to debug this I have to look for alternatives. It turns out good (semi) DDM KVM switches are a bit pricier than I thought, but that's off-topic here :)
  • »15.03.20 - 18:29
    Profile Visit Website