HELP: PowerMac G5 halts at grey screen...
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Well, I guess you have nothing to lose. Swap the CPUs. Just make sure they're seated properly. If there's an inadequate contact between CPU module and socket the machine won't power on.
  • »10.06.19 - 05:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I'd be interested to know the result of that ..... in fact I should have tried that when my 2.3 DP PwrMac had the same issue, but I just assumed you had to have both CPUs working/functional, so maybe that's why I never thought to try this option. ;-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »10.06.19 - 06:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Ok, I just swapped the cpu modules and made sure to really to tighten the screws real hard.
    And the G5 fires up again!

I'm writing this with my G5, yeah!

What I noticed it that the fans were blowing like hell when I boot into the bootmenu and while I'm in the firmware!?
    This wasn't before, but when booting into MorphOS, the fans spins down.

Do I need to calibrate the fans?

I have the files "asd.2.6.3 (2005).dmg" and "ASD 2.5.8.dmg", but I can't burn them under MorphOS, right?
    Does anyone have an .iso of these archives?

I found a dmgtoiso converter in Aminet, lets try it...

Lets see how long it last this time...

BTW:
    The cpu modules look different from below!
    Could it be that one cpu got burned?

G5_both_cpu_modules.jpg
  • »10.06.19 - 13:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    What I noticed it that the fans were blowing like hell when I boot into the bootmenu and while I'm in the firmware!?
    This wasn't before, but when booting into MorphOS, the fans spins down.

You're lucky you didn't overtighten the screws (you can do that!), but I'm glad everything works fine.

As for the loud fans - the computer noticed that CPU serial numbers are different now and turned on "safe mode" (that means the fans blow at full speed). MorphOS switches everything back to normal, but that's simply annoying. Yes, you need to perform a thermal calibration. With ASD 2.5.8 - the 2.6.3 is for late G5's.

Quote:

You mean the colour difference between the radiators of (I believe) the power section? They may differ. I've seen both copper-ish (more often in earlier models) and silver-ish ones (the newer ones). Or maybe something else drew your attention?
  • »10.06.19 - 14:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    You're lucky you didn't overtighten the screws (you can do that!), but I'm glad everything works fine.

As for the loud fans - the computer noticed that CPU serial numbers are different now and turned on "safe mode" (that means the fans blow at full speed). MorphOS switches everything back to normal, but that's simply annoying. Yes, you need to perform a thermal calibration. With ASD 2.5.8 - the 2.6.3 is for late G5's.

I tried the 2.6.3 (OF), but a requester said, this machine is not supported, although the corresponding pdf says its also for late G5s.
    I'm trying the v2.5.8 in some minutes...

Quote:

Quote:

You mean the colour difference between the radiators of (I believe) the power section? They may differ. I've seen both copper-ish (more often in earlier models) and silver-ish ones (the newer ones). Or maybe something else drew your attention?

Yes, I meant the color.
  • »10.06.19 - 14:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    The ASD 2.5.8 supports my G5, and the log says that my memory DIMM 4, 5, 6 and 7 are bad!

I have 8 DIMMs installed, if I understand it correct DIMM 4-7 are the outmost two of each bank, right?

I think the dimms are out of MorphOS's reach, because memtest says my memory is good.

Then I calibrated my cpus, cpu0 passed the test, for cpu1 I got an error, and I should "replace the cpu1".

Now the fans are quiet(er) in the firmware! Thank you all!

[ Edited by igracki 10.06.2019 - 18:03 ]
  • »10.06.19 - 15:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    The ASD 2.5.8 supports my G5, and the log says that my memory DIMM 4, 5, 6 and 7 are bad!

I have 8 DIMMs installed, if I understand it correct DIMM 4-7 are the outmost two of each bank, right?

The banks are named:

J44 (DIMM7)
    J42 (DIMM5)
    J14 (DIMM3)
    J12 (DIMM1)

J11 (DIMM0)
    J13 (DIMM2)
    J41 (DIMM4)
    J43 (DIMM6)

and should be populated in pairs: J11 with J12, J13 with J14 and so on.
  • »10.06.19 - 17:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> you need to perform a thermal calibration. With ASD 2.5.8 - the 2.6.3 is for late G5's.

> I tried the 2.6.3 (OF), but a requester said, this machine is not supported,
    > although the corresponding pdf says its also for late G5s.

Yes, it is, but your G5 is no "late G5" :-)
  • »10.06.19 - 22:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    That's an interesting result, so if a Dual Processor G5 PowerMac suffers a failed CPU then if you swap the bad CPU into the other CPU slot 0 you should be able to get the machine back working for MorphOS at least, which will be good for most of us I suppose. 8-)

Thanks for reporting back Thomas Igracki on your CPU swapping results.

Out of interest, now that you've re-calibrated and swapped over the CPUs, and even though one of the CPUs has failed, does your PowerMac also work in Mac OSX?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »11.06.19 - 01:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    OSX will work, but it will show only 1 CPU in System Profiler.
  • »11.06.19 - 04:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    Pressing the power button still doesn't turns on the machine;(

Does the PSU give a "click", or does the light blink when you press the power button, or is everything silent and the light blinks only when you put the plug in?

The second:

[b]everything is silent and the light blinks only when you put the plug in[b]
  • »30.07.19 - 18:45
    Profile Visit Website