FinalWriter 97 sudden inexplicable failure..
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    I've been enjoying getting to know Final Writer 97 over the past few months, and have found it an impressively capable word processor. Today though it has suddenly decided it no longer wants to work (on MOS 3.10, PowerBook g4 5,7). It attempts to launch and opens a new screen with the Final Writer title bar, but the button bars and typing area are entirely absent. I can open the pull down menus with a right click, but none of them are operational. What's worse, no other applications can be launched after that. I have to reset to get things back.

Looking at Snoopium's logs, it's complaining that it can't load qfont.library, but I can see the library there in FWLibs (where Snoopium says it's looking).

I deleted the old install and reinstalled from scratch, but have exactly the same behaviour.

This bizarre behaviour came at some point after I installed (1) Ghostscript 8.70, (2) Folio (latest version), (3) Iris (latest version). I have since deleted ghostscript, wondering if it has knocked out something important in user-startup. It hasn't helped.

Very strange. Any ideas what could be going on? Really need to get Final Writer up and running again! I've been busy creating numerous reasonably important documents with it.

Many thanks in advance.
  • »04.07.19 - 21:04
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Enable everything in Snoopium and upload the log somewhere...
  • »05.07.19 - 11:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • o1i
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Any other qfont.library in those other new programs?
  • »05.07.19 - 12:58
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Have a look in ENVARC: to see if there are any settings related to it, delete them if so, and reboot.
  • »05.07.19 - 13:26
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Will try these things this evening when back on the computer. Thank you for the advice. I had a quick look in Envarc to see if there was anything suspicious. Will look more closely this evening.
  • »05.07.19 - 14:18
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Here's the Snoopium log. Unfortunately when enabling the 'System' aspects of Snoopium's reporting it does not boot at all - hangs the machine and doesn't log anything. This is the most I've been able to get out of it (see below).

I've checked the libs directory of FW and there's definitely qfont and cachemap there. Pretty sure swshell too but away from the computer at the moment. Very weird!

Code:
    Snoopium enabled  at 11:29:39
    [1] [ramlib] [Open] [MOSSYS:LIBS/swshell.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [2] [ramlib] [Open] [MOSSYS:LIBS/swshell.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [3] [ramlib] [Load] [MOSSYS:LIBS/swshell.library.elf] [] [Fail]
    [4] [ramlib] [Open] [MOSSYS:LIBS/swshell.library] [Read] [Fail]
    [5] [ramlib] [Open] [MOSSYS:LIBS/swshell.library] [Read] [Fail]
    [6] [ramlib] [Load] [MOSSYS:LIBS/swshell.library] [] [Fail]
    [7] [ramlib] [Open] [LIBS:swshell.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [8] [ramlib] [Open] [LIBS:swshell.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [9] [ramlib] [Load] [LIBS:swshell.library.elf] [] [Fail]
    [10] [ramlib] [Open] [DH1:Applications/FinalWriter/swshell.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [11] [ramlib] [Open] [DH1:Applications/FinalWriter/swshell.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [12] [ramlib] [Load] [DH1:Applications/FinalWriter/swshell.library.elf] [] [Fail]
    [13] [FinalWriter] [ToolType] [NOICON] [] [Fail]
    [14] [FinalWriter] [ToolType] [MAKEBACKUP] [] [Fail]
    [15] [FinalWriter] [ToolType] [DOCDRAWER] [] [Fail]
    [16] [FinalWriter] [ToolType] [FONTDRAWER] [] [Fail]
    [17] [FinalWriter] [ToolType] [GFXDRAWER] [] [Fail]
    [18] [FinalWriter] [ToolType] [MACRODRAWER] [] [Fail]
    [19] [FinalWriter] [ToolType] [TEXTCLIPDRAWER] [] [Fail]
    [20] [FinalWriter] [ToolType] [TEMPLATEDRAWER] [] [Fail]
    [21] [FinalWriter] [ToolType] [OLDPAGEEJECT] [] [Fail]
    [22] [ramlib] [Open] [MOSSYS:LIBS/cachemap.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [23] [ramlib] [Open] [MOSSYS:LIBS/cachemap.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [24] [ramlib] [Load] [MOSSYS:LIBS/cachemap.library.elf] [] [Fail]
    [25] [ramlib] [Open] [MOSSYS:LIBS/cachemap.library] [Read] [Fail]
    [26] [ramlib] [Open] [MOSSYS:LIBS/cachemap.library] [Read] [Fail]
    [27] [ramlib] [Load] [MOSSYS:LIBS/cachemap.library] [] [Fail]
    [28] [ramlib] [Open] [LIBS:cachemap.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [29] [ramlib] [Open] [LIBS:cachemap.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [30] [ramlib] [Load] [LIBS:cachemap.library.elf] [] [Fail]
    [31] [ramlib] [Open] [DH1:Applications/FinalWriter/cachemap.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [32] [ramlib] [Open] [DH1:Applications/FinalWriter/cachemap.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [33] [ramlib] [Load] [DH1:Applications/FinalWriter/cachemap.library.elf] [] [Fail]
    [34] [ramlib] [Open] [MOSSYS:LIBS/qfont.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [35] [ramlib] [Open] [MOSSYS:LIBS/qfont.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [36] [ramlib] [Load] [MOSSYS:LIBS/qfont.library.elf] [] [Fail]
    [37] [ramlib] [Open] [MOSSYS:LIBS/qfont.library] [Read] [Fail]
    [38] [ramlib] [Open] [MOSSYS:LIBS/qfont.library] [Read] [Fail]
    [39] [ramlib] [Load] [MOSSYS:LIBS/qfont.library] [] [Fail]
    [40] [ramlib] [Open] [LIBS:qfont.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [41] [ramlib] [Open] [LIBS:qfont.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [42] [ramlib] [Load] [LIBS:qfont.library.elf] [] [Fail]
    [43] [ramlib] [Open] [DH1:Applications/FinalWriter/qfont.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [44] [ramlib] [Open] [DH1:Applications/FinalWriter/qfont.library.elf] [Read] [Fail]
    [45] [ramlib] [Load] [DH1:Applications/FinalWriter/qfont.library.elf] [] [Fail]
    [46] [FinalWriter] [Lock] [RAM:FWFiles/] [Read] [Fail]
    [47] [FinalWriter] [Lock] [RAD:FWFiles/] [Read] [Fail]
    [48] [« Skin Manager »] [Lock] [DH1:MorphOS/Prefs/Skins/Ferox/20/SkinConfig] [Read] [Fail]
    [49] [FinalWriter] [Lock] [RAM:FWFiles/] [Read] [Fail]
    [50] [FinalWriter] [Lock] [RAD:FWFiles/] [Read] [Fail]
    [51] [FinalWriter] [Lock] [RAM:FWFiles/] [Read] [Fail]
    [52] [FinalWriter] [Lock] [RAD:FWFiles/] [Read] [Fail]
    [53] [« Skin Manager »] [Lock] [DH1:MorphOS/Prefs/Skins/Ferox/20/PropBackground.png] [Read] [Fail]
    [54] [« Skin Manager »] [Lock] [DH1:MorphOS/Prefs/Skins/Ferox/PropBackground.png] [Read] [Fail]
    [55] [« Skin Manager »] [Lock] [DH1:MorphOS/Prefs/Skins/Ferox/20/PropBackgroundSelected.png] [Read] [Fail]
    [56] [« Skin Manager »] [Lock] [D
  • »24.07.19 - 11:31
  • o1i
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Not at my computer right now, but those libs are in FWLibs directory usually afair. Try adding an assign for it.
  • »30.07.19 - 18:57
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Are you sure qfont and cachemap are readable (have the +r bit set) and not corrupted? Seems they just aren't being opened.
  • »30.07.19 - 20:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Where do the qfont.library.elf, cachemap.library.elf, and swshell.library.elf libraries originate from? :-?

As I only am/was aware of Final Writer'97 ever having been a 68k program, even with the patches that came along later, before Softwood abandoned their Amiga range of products.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »30.07.19 - 23:34
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Are you sure qfont and cachemap are readable (have the +r bit set) and not corrupted? Seems they just aren't being opened.

I will check that they are all readable. I reinstalled afresh though, so would have thought that would have dealt with any corrupted libraries (as it’s looking in the Final Writer directory for them).
  • »31.07.19 - 09:19
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Where do the qfont.library.elf, cachemap.library.elf, and swshell.library.elf libraries originate from? :-?

As I only am/was aware of Final Writer'97 ever having been a 68k program, even with the patches that came along later, before Softwood abandoned their Amiga range of products.

It’s definitely 68k and I haven’t installed any weird patches. Wasn’t sure what the .elf things were referring to, but from your post sounds like it’s something PPCy? Could new PPC versions of these libraries be causing the problem I wonder...
  • »31.07.19 - 09:21
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:

If a program tries to open a library, I think MorphOS itself tries to look if there's a PPC version of the library in the system named as .elf. In this way you could have 68k and PPC versions of the same library... So, when you see these .elf libraries in Snoopium logs, it's just that MorphOS tries to find the asked library in different locations/names. Only thing that matters is that if it finds the library at least from one location or do all locations/names fail.
  • »31.07.19 - 13:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • o1i
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Ok, one should read the thread from start before posting. I doubt that the library loading is causing the problem.

Do you get the screenmode requester when launching FinalWriter? Can you try opening FinalWriter on Workbench? Does this work?
  • »31.07.19 - 14:36
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

o1i wrote:
    Ok, one should read the thread from start before posting. I doubt that the library loading is causing the problem.

Do you get the screenmode requester when launching FinalWriter? Can you try opening FinalWriter on Workbench? Does this work?

Yes, I get the screenmode requester. If I choose 'Use Workbench', the Final Writer window opens (I can see the pull down menus too) but none of the 'screen furniture' is there apart from that - just a blank window. I can't close this window and it effects the wider OS - I can't for example launch other programs after this point. I have to reset.

I tried doing a more far-reaching Snoopium dump but this kills the system before the log.txt file is written.
  • »01.08.19 - 09:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Personally I have not been able to use Final Writer 5 or 97 on MorphOS. I get a virtually black window/GUI, and none of the colours for setting the background, etc. don't render on the screen with the colours I choose. I can see/make out the GUI and the menus, but things don't seem to respond as they should. I have never managed, or bothered to pursue fathoming out its difficulties on MorphOS, as I was hoping that the NG version of Final Writer would get finished, but I'm not holding my breath on that front either.

I generally use PageStream 4.1.5.6 Pro as that works quite stably, and it offers features that Final Writer just doesn't. You can also print out PostScript - via MorphOS "Printers" Prefs (USBPAR: in v3.11), for which you'll need a PPD file for your printer - not the standard "Printer in Prefs option, or save as a PDF with PageStream 4.1.5.6 Pro, and even print that with any system that can handle a PDF. Some features don't print out when you choose PDF as arrow head objects on straight/curved lines aren't interpreted correctly, but text colour, style, etc., is saved OK.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »01.08.19 - 15:15
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Going to give 5 a try - but suspect it won't like my 97 files.

It's just so strange that it was working very well, and suddenly decided not to.

PageStream is something I would like to give a go, but its a bit pricey for me at the moment - back to being a student. $150 dollars for the Pro MorphOS version - and I haven't heard good things about v 5. Saying that though, I think you get the previous version with your purchase.
  • »03.08.19 - 09:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Regarding PageStream v5 - forget it - it's basically useless. Buy PageStream v4.1.5.6 Pro - that works OK on MorphOS, it does crash/freeze on the odd occasion, but save regularly and you should be OK. It's generally OK, but when you put your trust that it's OK, and haven't saved frequently - then 'sod's law' takes over and lets you down. :-(

I use PgS 4.1.5.6 Pro regularly and that's why I can say it's OK. 8-)

I wish Deron Kazmaier would fix the v5 Amiga based releases as they are what I paid for, and even now - 14 years after they were 'released' as a bad joke, they are still a 'bad joke'. I have said this to him, but I've not heard back from him over the last week.

He's recently, within the last year I believe, moved from South Dakota to Boonville, MO, which is where he grew up, so maybe he's settling back into programming again, as he has talked that he might be working on the Linux release again, and he has just made available a later release for Mac OSX (Intel ONLY) which isn't on the website or otherwise mentioned, which I now have, that I will be testing over the next week, hopefully - in 'demo mode' to see if it's worth making a side-ways switch. Though my main preference is that he should fix what he started for the platform that made him the most reknown.
  • »03.08.19 - 10:42
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Feel very tempted to buy, to support the guy and potentially encourage some future development/bug fixes. It sounds like you're a fan of the software despite the version 5 problems.
  • »03.08.19 - 19:48
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Hmm.. I've always been using FinalWriter 97 successfully on MorphOS, it's actually been my main word processor when I have to write a page to print quickly.

I remember that you get wrong colors easily (black or grey bg color), but the program has still worked nevertheless. I've had my config with correct colors (white paper) for years and haven't had need to touch it because it works :) Now that I check it, it's a bit weird.. Preferences -> Startup shows "Open new screen", "8bit 1280x1024", "256 colors", but it still opens to my monitor's native resolution (1920x1080) for some reason... well.. can't complain because it's good for me :)

Well, that said, I tried to remove the FWFiles/FW.Prefs from use now, and started the program. It gives me the screenmode requester and all 8bit modes seem to give the correct colors, but "Use Workbench" or higher color depth screens give wrong colors. So I'd say it's just about using 8 bit screens, and if that gives difficulties, remove the old config file and try again.

About window shows that I have Final Writer 97 '030 (Mar 7 1997). So it's 68030 version if that matters... filesize is 1128484 bytes.
  • »04.08.19 - 09:40
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I remember that you get wrong colors easily (black or grey bg color), but the program has still worked nevertheless. I've had my config with correct colors (white paper) for years and haven't had need to touch it because it works :) Now that I check it, it's a bit weird.. Preferences -> Startup shows "Open new screen", "8bit 1280x1024", "256 colors", but it still opens to my monitor's native resolution (1920x1080) for some reason... well.. can't complain because it's good for me :)

Had the same issue - but eventually after experimenting with various screenmodes, got the magic white paper. I was really impressed with how responsiveness and usable it was as a word processor. Coupled with an ability to create high quality PDFs and print outs of its output, it would be truly excellent.
  • »04.08.19 - 13:12
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Success!!

Going through the Snoopium options one by one, I enabled the OpenFont option. This told me it couldn't find SWScrFont.font (13) or SWRulerFont.font (9). Checking in FWFonts I could see they were there, but tried moving them to FONTS: and this did the trick.

I've no idea why this suddenly became a problem for FinalWriter. Perhaps my ill-fated attempt at installing Ghostscript caused a problem, probably by my own clumsiness.

But very very pleased. Only downside is, I've now no excuse to not work on my ebook!

Thank you to all for your help along the way - good to have a resolved thread!

[ Edited by Ginger1 04.08.2019 - 14:22 ]
  • »04.08.19 - 13:20
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Ginger1 wrote:
    Going through the Snoopium options one by one, I enabled the OpenFont option. This told me it couldn't find SWScrFont.font (13) or SWRulerFont.font (9). Checking in FWFonts I could see they were there, but tried moving them to FONTS: and this did the trick.

Weird... I don't have them in FONTS:, and can't see any assign there either. I'd think that Final Writer should find them from its own dir without anything else...
  • »04.08.19 - 17:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jPV - You're right, as usual.

I had just used a screenmode higher than 8-bit and the program cannot handle that, it will work OK on 8-bit screens, up to 256 colours, but higher than that it seems, and it's almost unuseable - as I set it up when I first used MorphOS to use a 24 bit screen, and the background was so dark I could barely even make out the mouse cursor on the screen/GUI.

So I'd never bothered trying to get it to work on a lower resolution, until now, but it's OK, so far on 8-bit screens, and from what you have all said it works reliably for you with MorphOS, so I'll give it a try as it has a nice few features and the FinalWrapper ARexx add-on is quite a good feature which I did use a few times when I used Final Writer on my Classic Amiga hardware. 8-)
  • »04.08.19 - 23:32
  • o1i
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Quote:

Ginger1 wrote:
    I was really impressed with how responsiveness and usable it was as a word processor. Coupled with an ability to create high quality PDFs and print outs of its output, it would be truly excellent.

https://ae.amigalife.org/index.php?topic=193.0
  • »06.08.19 - 07:08
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

o1i wrote:
    Quote:

Ginger1 wrote:
    I was really impressed with how responsiveness and usable it was as a word processor. Coupled with an ability to create high quality PDFs and print outs of its output, it would be truly excellent.

https://ae.amigalife.org/index.php?topic=193.0

Good to see it's being worked on! Hopefully something will come to fruition.
  • »15.08.19 - 09:44