Iris - An upcoming E-Mail client blog
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @ Manfred

Haven't seen this myself and I've just tried what you described. Odd to say the least - especially since the attachments panel object gets re-created each time you display an email.

@ Papio

You mean there's no ASL requester when you hit the Download button?
  • »09.06.19 - 20:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Papiosaur
    Hi jacadcaps,

yes, sorry i have just understand when i click on the disk, i have a requester and when i click on the blue arrow (View) Iris save directly to Temp direcyory. In my case the file attachment file is a PDF file. It will be possible when i click to the view icon, Iris launch VPDF to show it for example ?

Thanks for your answer.
  • »09.06.19 - 22:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    The View button downloads the file to a tmp location and then sends an AREXX request to Ambient. Ambient should generally open the file - if you can open the PDF via doubleclick in Ambient, it should be opened via Arexx as well. Why it fails for some people is a mystery :)
  • »10.06.19 - 07:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    @ Manfred

Haven't seen this myself and I've just tried what you described. Odd to say the least - especially since the attachments panel object gets re-created each time you display an email.

So, were you able to replicate?
    I remember I clicked on the disk symbol to download the attachment which triggered a file requester.

Shall I provide screenshots?

Manfred
  • »10.06.19 - 13:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Nope, couldn't get a repro. I'm currently busy with other (MorphOS) stuff and so any Iris updates will likely take a few more weeks.

Oh and the heat is making my brain melt :/
  • »11.06.19 - 06:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Iris beta 61 is currently in internal testing phase. Sorry for the delays but as mentioned above I've had to split my time into other projects.

A note on Odyssey: after comparing where the leopard-webkit project left off to the current state of WebKit and several attempts at merging the BAL (the old remains of Orygin web browser) I have concluded that anything short of an actual new port doesn't make sense.

This means that you shouldn't expect any betas anytime soon. It'll be months before I have something working. This also means that there'll be a significant slowdown in Iris' development after 2-3 more releases. I want to add an address book after which Iris will finally exit the "beta" stage. This also implies that POP3 support in Iris will effectively be deprecated and most likely will be removed in the upcoming builds.

The new port will focus on browsing first - that means that I want to have a port where the essentials are working (which means a bare browser with working JavaScript and a download manager in the 1st stages). Things like video playback will be at the end of the priority queue, since they're unlikely to work well due to our current CPU power deficit. I'll be working with a separation of the engine and browser in mind, to make it easy to put WebCore into other projects (like Iris).
  • »17.07.19 - 07:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    A note on Odyssey: after comparing where the leopard-webkit project left off to the current state of WebKit and several attempts at merging the BAL (the old remains of Orygin web browser) I have concluded that anything short of an actual new port doesn't make sense..........

The new port will focus on browsing first - that means that I want to have a port where the essentials are working (which means a bare browser with working JavaScript and a download manager in the 1st stages). Things like video playback will be at the end of the priority queue, since they're unlikely to work well due to our current CPU power deficit. I'll be working with a separation of the engine and browser in mind, to make it easy to put WebCore into other projects (like Iris).

This is good and bad news, I guess. Bad news that an actual new port is needed, instead of updating our existing version of Odyssey, and Good news that you are working on a new WebKit browser for MorphOS (if my interpretation of what you wrote above is incorrect, please correct me). I hope you have someone, or a group of developers, helping you on such a new port of the WebKit engine for MorphOS. If not, I suggest you ask for help, as it is no doubt a large project, though I know you are incredibly talented and fast at what you do. I would hate to see you burn yourself out, working alone on such big or difficult MorphOS tasks.

It just seems to me that large programming projects must be able to break down into smaller programming tasks, and that some of those tasks could be done by other capable programmers in our community, which would help speed up development time. Why are almost all development projects in our community done alone by one programmer?

Oh well, as I am not capable of helping to program anything at the moment, I'll just say thank you, and donate when I can. I hope you had a beer and some pizza on me from my last donation.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »17.07.19 - 11:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    You're right about this being too big of a project for just one person, so yes, I have and will be asking for help. We've recently made quite some leaps in terms of the completeness of our SDK as well as updated modules the browser depends on.

And thank you and all the others for the donations. They've already helped quite a bit as I was able to finance some much needed hw with them.
  • »17.07.19 - 12:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Thanks for your hard work and sharing some news about the development process! IMHO both projects are going in the right direction. :-)
    Talos II Secure Workstation. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 7,3. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.11 / Gentoo Linux] | A1200. ACA-1233, Indivision AGA Mk2. [Amiga OS 3.2]
  • »17.07.19 - 13:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Good idea to facilitate for easy inclusion of webcore in future third party projects! Imagine it would be as easy as adding a MUI-class, and that the main MorphOS program could be able to communicate with the web-app within. Great possibilities there!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »17.07.19 - 14:27