Ambient, mac mini,
  • Just looking around
    Hello,
    I am new to morphOS and wanted to ask some things.
    I searched a bit on the ambient desktop website and it seems very outdated. Also the last update to sourceforge has been made in 2013. What is the actual state of this DE? Is it used by MorphOS and still beeing under developement?

Also I bought a mac mini to get started. And wanted to know if I have to do something before getting started (check batteries, condensators)?

I have no osx cd for the mac. Is it recomended to keep macOS in someway(or is it useless anyway ) ?
    Is it possible to dualboot without osx CD (or to create an install cd) and is there any good guide for this?

thanks
    with best regard
    RUwar
  • »05.06.19 - 22:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Ambient is a part of the MorphOS and gets regular updates. You can grab the sources from https://www.morphos-team.net/sources

Open it and remove the dust. Battery is a CR2032 cell, probably worth replacing. If HDD is stock it can be quite slow and loud even for a HDD, unfortunately Mac Mini G4 uses IDE interface, so fitting a SATA, M.2 drive can be a bit problematic with adapters.

From MorphOS point of view - MacOS X can be useful to silence the startup beep, as it can't be done from MorphOS or Openfirmware. It should be possible also from Linux. As long as PRAM battery works you can do it once and forget about it.

You could make an image of your existing MacOS X installation and bring it back if needed.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »05.06.19 - 22:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What is the actual state of this DE? Is it used by MorphOS and
    > still beeing under developement?

The MorphOS 3.11 ISO image contains the Ambient changelog, so you can have a look yourself.

> Is it possible to dualboot without osx CD [...] and is there any good guide for this?

Yes, you can add a MorphOS installation to an existing MacOSX installation. This guide has everything needed.
  • »05.06.19 - 23:52
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

You could make an image of your existing MacOS X installation and bring it back if needed.

Is there any tool to do that. I couldn't find anything about that on the Internet.
  • »06.06.19 - 09:56
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Also to make more easy and nice your MorphOS experience you can install the chrysalys pack:
    http://www.morphos-storage.net/?page=Chrysalis
    With many software to have a computer to work.
    The clock battery although it is spent MorphOS boot peferctly, change to new hard disk, hum the mac mini cans problem with the boot to recognizes the new hard disk. But you can add 1 gb the memory instead of 512k and it works fine.

[ Editado por Templario 06.06.2019 - 23:07 ]
  • »06.06.19 - 22:06