Hard disk controllers
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    What are the supported add-on hard disk controllers.

The MorphOS website isn't specific except for mentioning mainboards.
    I know there is an Sil driver for SATA1 and I thought Mark just wrote a driver for Sil SATA2.

Of course there are SCSI drivers and third party drivers, but I'm really just interested in SATA.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »27.05.19 - 20:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The MorphOS website isn't specific except for mentioning mainboards.

https://www.morphos-team.net/hardware lists SiI3x12 two-port cards, SiI3x14 four-port cards and SiI3132 as supported.
  • »27.05.19 - 22:54
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >SiI3132...supported.

Perfect.
  • »28.05.19 - 03:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Of course there are SCSI drivers and third party drivers, but I'm really just interested in SATA.

There is one third-party driver for Promise SATA 150/300 PCI controllers:
    Aminet-ulsata2
    I tested last week one, and speed increase is remarkable, compared to Sil SATA 150 controllers.
    ( I will post some results in near future).

Unfortunatelly, you cannot boot MorphOS directly from drive on Promise controller, and AmigaOS have no drivers at all. It makes this controller nearly unusable on my Pegasos with MorphOS and AmigaOS. ( only for Work: atd.)

It will be great to have this controller in supported hardware.
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »28.05.19 - 13:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    I know there is an Sil driver for SATA1 and I thought Mark just wrote a driver for Sil SATA2.

really? maybe SiI SATA2 can solve my dilemma on Pegasos.
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »30.05.19 - 14:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> I thought Mark just wrote a driver for Sil SATA2.

> really?

Yes, see comment #3.
  • »30.05.19 - 15:27
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

> really?

Yes, see comment #3.

Thanks, I missed the listing on the website.
    Mark mentioned it awhile ago.

He's got a lot of projects outside of the video drivers.
  • »30.05.19 - 15:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

> really?

Yes, see comment #3.

Thanx. It is PCI-express -> SATA. I am wonder if it will work on Pegasos ( for example with this
    Startech Card.
  • »31.05.19 - 09:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It is PCI-express -> SATA. I am wonder if it will work on Pegasos
    > ( for example with this
    Startech Card.

Indeed, SiI3132 is a PCIe-to-SATA2 controller. It might work with a PCI-to-PCIe bridge in an OS running on Pegasos II, but you won't be able to store boot images on a drive attached to the card, because SmartFirmware can't see behind bridge chips. This issue would also be there if you found a PCI card with SiI3132 as the bridge chip would also be there, just on the card itself in this case.
    There are 32-bit PCI cards with PCI-X-to-SATA2 controllers (so no bridge chip required), like the SiI3124-2, but MorphOS doesn't support them.
  • »31.05.19 - 09:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Indeed, SiI3132 is a PCIe-to-SATA2 controller. It might work with a PCI-to-PCIe bridge in an OS running on Pegasos II, but you won't be able to store boot images on a drive attached to the card, because SmartFirmware can't see behind bridge chips. This issue would also be there if you found a PCI card with SiI3132 as the bridge chip would also be there, just on the card itself in this case.

It's a pitty. This is the same situation like with Promise SATA 300 TX4. It is native PCI, without bridge, but driver is third-party only.
  • »31.05.19 - 10:13
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Thanx. It is PCI-express -> SATA. I am wonder if it will work on Pegasos ( for example with this
    Startech Card.

This didn't even work on my PC with Linux/Windows.

These PCI-to-PCIe cards seem to be very picky regarding if the PCI bus sees the PCIe-lane behind it and/or if/which PCIe card is properly reckognized... In theory a good idea, but just does not seem to work out. Very much depends on your hardware liking a specific card-combination or not.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »31.05.19 - 11:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > This is the same situation like with Promise SATA 300 TX4.
    > It is native PCI, without bridge, but driver is third-party only.

It's not quite the same situation because with the SiI3132, the MorphOS boot image (which must be stored elsewhere) should be able to start the MorphOS system from a drive attached to it. That's assuming the bridge card solution works, which is not a given.
  • »31.05.19 - 12:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > This is the same situation like with Promise SATA 300 TX4.
    > It is native PCI, without bridge, but driver is third-party only.

It's not quite the same situation because with the SiI3132, the MorphOS boot image (which must be stored elsewhere) should be able to start the MorphOS system from a drive attached to it. That's assuming the bridge card solution works, which is not a given.

oh, yes, it means morphos System can be on SiI3132 HDD. If it wil works through bridge.
    and if it will be as fast as promise.
  • »31.05.19 - 16:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Please, have somebody SiI 3132 controller working with MorphOS?
    I tested one on my Powermac G5 Quad (unsupported) with no success.
    It is this controller 20210316_104513.jpg 20210316_104519.jpg

It have strange behavior:
    I copy the Boot: partition to the disk in the internal controller (+ HFSSetMacBoot), connected 3132 controller to the last/top slot(PCIe x4) and connected SSD with MorphOS to it.
    In the Mac bootmenu (alt) it was nice to see the MOS boot partition on the internal controller. But after boot white screen and nothing.
    I also tried to boot from the CD and also manually run the MosphOS bootmenu from the CD and disk via OF. It all ended the same way. White screen. As if the boot.img kernel has trouble initializing the controller and hangs.

And more interesting thing is that even if I switch the MOS SSD back to the internal controller, it's the same. White screen.
    With a connected controller (without a disk), I don't boot into Linux either, but it's fine with OSX. Of course, the controller is not recognized.

So I took out the controller again, and everything is fine - with internal SATAI.

Controller can be damaged - I will try it on x86 linux or Win later.
    Do you have good experience with 3132? And please, which manufacturer?
  • »16.03.21 - 11:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    I am rebuilding my Powermac G5 Quad just now.

Please, can somebody recommend PCIe SATA II SiI3132 controller, which really works in dualcore Powermacs 11,2 ?
    In past I tested one, which is doesn't work.
  • »18.05.23 - 09:57