2019 - Your expectations/wishes
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    I would like to see morphos 3.11 supports fully the amigaone x5000. Graphic drivers for actual graphic cards pci-e 16x from ati with 3d support, network driver for the onboard chip.

Brumiga
  • »07.02.19 - 14:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I would like to see morphos 3.11 supports fully the amigaone x5000.

Wouldn't that be 3.12?

> Graphic drivers for actual graphic cards pci-e 16x from ati with 3d support

MorphOS already 3D-supports PCIe graphics cards from ATI. The "actual" ones are those from AMD and I agree with you that 3D support for them is essential.

> network driver for the onboard chip.

A-Eon paid Bigfoot for developing (also) the MorphOS driver, so it should be part of MorphOS 3.12.
  • »07.02.19 - 17:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I have mostly lost interest in the entire NG scene, including MorphOS, as it's getting harder and harder to use a 32 bit system nowadays for the most typical stuff. Surfing on OWB was back in 2013 a pretty nice experience, today, not so much. And since more and more open source projects are dropping big endian and 32 bit, porting the good stuff will just become more and more difficult from now on.

What would make me return is for the since forever planned migation to actually be on its way. I don't care if it's x86, ARM, the Raspberry Pi or whatever as long as it's 64 bit, will be supported for a long time and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (like the POWER8 and 9).

Don't read this as a sort of ragequitting. It is a plea. I want to be able to enjoy using MOS like I did back in 2013 again. But as things are now I might just as well use my PC and GPD Win for all my needs. And that makes me sad.

[ Edited by Yasu 10.02.2019 - 11:46 ]
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »10.02.19 - 11:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Yasu schrieb:
    [...] And since more and more open source projects are dropping big endian and 32 bit, porting the good stuff will just become more and more difficult from now on.

Not necessarily. My impression is since the Retro Wave swept over to the PPC-Macs being retro now, there seems more activity than the years before. Firefox (65) re-gained BE and ppc64 support (klick) to the point it actually runs on real hardware, though it is crashy still. If it's true what I heard on the Talos IRC channel the Moz-Foundation even got access to one box at RaptorCSwhere they can test their stuff explicitely on ppc/BE. For Chromium also ppc patches are getting in (klick), though LE and the project is much less cooperative than Mozilla. And there is ArcticFox, a browser port to specifically support ppc/ppc64 BE (klick). Also most open source projects I filed upstream ppc/ppc64 bugreports (tigervnc, crypto++, freerdp, ...) were responsive and had interest to fix their ppc/ppc64 bugs, be it BE or not.

32bit support will not be dropped from projects easily because of ARM/Raspberry Pi. ;-) What is being dropped is 32bit/x86 from major Linux Distros.

Of course I understand your arguments. Multicore support and OS-support for > 2 GiB RAM surely will help browser & web experience. And not that I am telling you ppc/be future looks bright, but it's just that IMO it looks better than 2-3 years before.

Quote:

I don't care if it's x86, ARM, the Raspberry Pi or whatever as long as it's 64 bit, will be supported for a long time and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (like the POWER8 and 9).

Come on, you are an Amiga user and accustomed to expensive custom hardware. :-D You may be spoiled by MorphOS where you can get an el-cheapo PPC-Mac to run the latest version of the OS. :-P
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »10.02.19 - 14:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Zylesea schrieb:

Hollywood 8 will probably come and offer very nice new features (Andreas is a hero!)

Check! And it offers some really nice new features.
    Andreas is a überhero.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »10.02.19 - 16:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    dekanyz
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    I have mostly lost interest in the entire NG scene, including MorphOS, as it's getting harder and harder to use a 32 bit system nowadays for the most typical stuff. [...]

I'm in the same opinion.

There are many nice (open source) programs on Linux, but needs the lots of work to port them. Simply there is no man power to do this huge work. Also not enough to do the job only once, because the maintenance is also would be important.

Some program is simply not possible to port without CPU power or proper HW drivers.

I still use MOS, because I really like ShowCase for photo viewing/editing, and also like the screen quality of the PowerBook, but nothing more now.
  • »11.02.19 - 13:23
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Here my list for 2019:

- Few months ago I couldn't download my key registration file from Yahoo Mail using OWB, I had to use OSX. Hopefully OWB is still improving.
    - I own an USB DVD recorder which works with OSX only, as well as an SD Card Reader USB 3.0
    So more compatibility with USB devices.
    - People dreaming 64 bit OS but I can't figure out why MOS still doesn't use more than 1.5 GB Ram.
    - Turboprint Publisher might be included in MOS, why not?
    - Do we have any editing video app in MOS?
  • »22.02.19 - 17:30
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Goodman wrote:
    Here my list for 2019:

- Few months ago I couldn't download my key registration file from Yahoo Mail using OWB, I had to use OSX. Hopefully OWB is still improving.

Well, did you try the new Iris email client? This should be a better option than using a generic web browser for managing email on MorphOS.

Quote:

- People dreaming 64 bit OS but I can't figure out why MOS still doesn't use more than 1.5 GB Ram.

MorphOS can use up to 1.7 GB of memory now. In order to stay compatible with software developed for Commodore Ax00 computers, MorphOS is stuck with a 2GB memory space for the time being.

Quote:

Blender can be used for video editing AFAIK.
  • »22.02.19 - 17:38
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

Goodman wrote:
    Here my list for 2019:

Well, did you try the new Iris email client? This should be a better option than using a generic web browser for managing email on MorphOS.

Quote:

MorphOS can use up to 1.7 GB of memory now. In order to stay compatible with software developed for Commodore Ax00 computers, MorphOS is stuck with a 2GB memory space for the time being.

Quote:

Blender can be used for video editing AFAIK.

I don't use any client since 20 years ago. Seriously my last was Yam. Cloud age started when I choice a browser to check my post and I ain't going back.

Anyway I think MorphOS team is doing well supporting old Mac/pc hardware which are become obsolete just because of drivers. I guess tech economy has already reached the top in many sectors thinking about printers, scanners, audio cards, screens... its since 10-20 years they are "recycling" the same crap! For example I can perfectly print from my old printers through a generic Windows driver but I need any old computer to clean it and then such quality is quite similar to what a new printer might offer on same paper. Sometime it needs a manual cleaning and that's takes much more time.

There are many Firewire audio card might be use here hopefully MorphOS developers will consider it one day. I own a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 - maybe the last Focusrite OS 10.4 compatible - and also an USB Scarlet2Solo. I don't remember if Amiga had a similar solution in the past and what Morphos can offer today to record or just listen to an instrument plugged to in line jack.
  • »07.04.19 - 15:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I own [...] an USB Scarlet2Solo. I don't remember [...] what Morphos can offer
    > today to record or just listen to an instrument plugged to in line jack.

Did you test this USB device with MorphOS 3.11? If yes, you can add it to that thread and note whether or not it works.
  • »07.04.19 - 21:25
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MorphOSUser
    You know what I would love! The ability to upgrade my MorphOS to new version without downloading an ISO..burning it and installing it over my original MorphOS. It would popup a balloon bubble saying a new version of MorphOS is available for download. I click that bubble..it popup a window going in details what this version contains, I click download and it patches up the entire OS completely...reboots for changes to take effect and done.

That is what I would want for 2019 if possible. Bare in mind I believe my MorphOS have giving me everything I need in terms of feature, stabilities, compatibilities, etc. I wouldn't want to change it at all.

If there are ways to have a more powerful PPC laptop support or even have new PPC laptop developed and stick in PPC I would love that......
  • »11.04.19 - 02:59
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MorphOSUser
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    Quote:

Yasu schrieb:
    [...] And since more and more open source projects are dropping big endian and 32 bit, porting the good stuff will just become more and more difficult from now on.

Not necessarily. My impression is since the Retro Wave swept over to the PPC-Macs being retro now, there seems more activity than the years before. Firefox (65) re-gained BE and ppc64 support (klick) to the point it actually runs on real hardware, though it is crashy still. If it's true what I heard on the Talos IRC channel the Moz-Foundation even got access to one box at RaptorCSwhere they can test their stuff explicitely on ppc/BE. For Chromium also ppc patches are getting in (klick), though LE and the project is much less cooperative than Mozilla. And there is ArcticFox, a browser port to specifically support ppc/ppc64 BE (klick). Also most open source projects I filed upstream ppc/ppc64 bugreports (tigervnc, crypto++, freerdp, ...) were responsive and had interest to fix their ppc/ppc64 bugs, be it BE or not.

32bit support will not be dropped from projects easily because of ARM/Raspberry Pi. ;-) What is being dropped is 32bit/x86 from major Linux Distros.

Of course I understand your arguments. Multicore support and OS-support for > 2 GiB RAM surely will help browser & web experience. And not that I am telling you ppc/be future looks bright, but it's just that IMO it looks better than 2-3 years before.

Quote:

I don't care if it's x86, ARM, the Raspberry Pi or whatever as long as it's 64 bit, will be supported for a long time and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (like the POWER8 and 9).

Come on, you are an Amiga user and accustomed to expensive custom hardware. :-D You may be spoiled by MorphOS where you can get an el-cheapo PPC-Mac to run the latest version of the OS. :-P

Heheh! I love expensive custom hardware heheh! I would love it if MorphOS new hardware is a custom hardware and not generic one :( I love Power8...it is LIKE soooo custom. I would love that as a migration hehe
  • »11.04.19 - 03:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > burning it

At least this part isn't necessary as you can also boot MorphOS directly from the ISO image instead.

> If there are ways to have a more powerful PPC laptop support or even
    > have new PPC laptop developed and stick in PPC I would love that......

There simply are no more powerful PPC laptops than already supported PowerBook G4. T2080-based laptop has not been completed yet.
  • »11.04.19 - 13:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Power8 [...] is LIKE soooo custom. I would love that as a migration

Why not skip old POWER8 and go directly for new POWER9? :-)
  • »11.04.19 - 13:49
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I own [...] an USB Scarlet2Solo. I don't remember [...] what Morphos can offer
    > today to record or just listen to an instrument plugged to in line jack.

Did you test this USB device with MorphOS 3.11? If yes, you can add it to that thread and note whether or not it works.

Thank you I didn't know that thread! But I can't test it soon...
    Anyway I found my USB Scarlet Solo has a Cirrus Logic CS4272-CZZ audio codec as many other Focusrite firewire cheap solutions. Just to write a note: the Focusrite Sapphire 24 Pro has TI PCM3168A instead.
  • »11.04.19 - 19:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Zylesea schrieb:

Anyway here's y list for 2019:

MorphOS

MorphOS 3.12/3.13 - not too much known about it publically and not as urgently anticipated as 3.10, but is in the works and should be out somewhen within the next 365 days. Hopefully Odyssey gets further improved (compability,JS-JIT)

Wish: Some roadmap/first signs for MorphOS x64?
    Wish: Support for Raptor Blackbird as another stopgap.

Applications:

Hollywood 8 will probably come and offer very nice new features (Andreas is a hero!)
    Amigazeux is back - eager to see more from them
    jPV will probably release some gems.
    Maybe we'll see FinalWriter coming out?

For my projects:

After I had little time to do some coding in 2018 I will release something new in 2019. At least a person contact and information manager is pretty progressed and I am looking forward to a first release early 2019. And there is more in the works.

I hope to participate on some user event in 2019.

Year is at its final days now and 2019 came pretty close to my expectations. 3.12 release with nice improvements and polishing. A first seight in wilderness of MorphOSx64 (woohoo!).

2019 - not the worst year to say the least!
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »27.12.19 - 20:44
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Release something 6 times.

I'm gonna count 3.12 as 1 leaving "only" 5 ;)

I‘ll have to invoke Trump-math on that one!
  • »27.12.19 - 22:54
    polluks
    - Dual monitor support
    - FireWire audio/video support, at least a DDK.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »28.12.19 - 02:51
    Cool_amigaN
    Shouldn't we start a thread for 2020?
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »28.12.19 - 07:57
    Profile Visit Website