OWB v1.25 failing to load these webpages.....
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I am having problems with OWB v1.25 from the MorphOS v3.11 release failing to load many webpages, including these pages, and I have had to use my Windows system to be able to access these pages to report this issue.

I feel sure the issue lies with my MorphOS system, but I do not know what is causing it, but my Windows system is accessing the pages without any problem. Two sites affected are ebay & PayPal, for their login pages, and all their other pages as well.

I am wondering if some file has got corrupted or damaged in some way, but I am not aware of which file is likely to be causing this issue.

I can access Aminet, and download from there, but other sites like the three I have mentioned bring up an OWB error message:

Unable to open 'https://www.????????'
    Error 52: server returned nothing (no headers, no data)

or they just stall, and go no further than the first page, which is the case with these forum pages.

Anyone know what is causing this problem, besides me. ;-)

Cookies have been flushed/deleted for the sites mentioned - just in case I get asked - but it did no good. :-(

*EDIT*

Further to the above, I have done a new installation of OWB v1.25 from the installation CD, and now managed to access these pages from OWB v1.25, but it seems ebay, Amazon, and probably a lot more mainstream websites have changed some parameter since yesterday, and so now OWB will not login to those sites.

Having said that ... I was able to login to this site using the fresh installation of OWB v1.25 ... but then, I was unable to post the information on this site using OWB, as it too gave the "Error 52" message, so I have had to go back to using my Windows system to be able to access these pages as OWB v1.25 will not access it to edit/update/respond to the pages using a username, which is required for any edit.

With this fresh install I got to the main page of ebay, and the main page of Amazon, but when I input the data to make the login, the same error was generated, after quite a lot of going nowhere/stalled, but then as already mentioned "Error 52" was generated by the attempt to access the site(s).

Seems we've hit a stone-wall with the current version of OWB, if I'm not mistaken. :-(
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »07.04.19 - 09:16
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    See if this is happening when you boot straight from a CD. It could be that some of your local OWB files got corrupted.
  • »07.04.19 - 17:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    @newsense: Seems to be your installation. Here there are no problems with this sites....
    Do a new installation from scratch (don't forget to delete MUI-Config-files too - see below)

Had in the past similar problems (OWB stops working at 100% CPU-power when loading any URL) - in my case prefs-files of OWB located in env-archive/Mui where corrupt. Don't know if these files can influence OWB to such as your behavior - but who knows (jacadcaps?).
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »07.04.19 - 19:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps and @ Amigaharry2

Thanks for both your suggestions, and of course I thought it could be a corruption of the files on my system, so I'd checked the HDD with SFSDoctor and everything was OK, and even after I'd totally replaced the OWB files into another folder and run it from there it still caused this issue of failing to access the websites I mentioned.

..... Then, overnight I sat down at my system, thinking "well it's going to need an updated installation to fix this .... but I'll give it one last try to see how things go" .... and it was back working again - the original files in their original folders, nothing changed other than the in-between cookie deletions, and some parameters of storing/accepting/rejecting cookies, but basically that was all, and now it's fully functional again, and I've done nothing to change any of the main files that I've used since I installed MorphOS v3.11 and OWB that came with it. ;-)

It really is the weirdest thing ..... but I'm glad everything is OK again, though I'd like to know why it did what it did anyway, but I'll probably never get to know that I suppose. 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »08.04.19 - 12:25
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    This evening, after trying several ways, after a reboot, and other methods I tried to open a new Topic, but I keep getting the error:

Error No: 0022

Error Msg:
    An error ocurred while querying the database.

If the page does not automatically reload, please click here

Which returns me to the edit screen - it also seems to be identifying me as "Visitor", even though I am logged in !! :-?

I have deleted my cookies for this site, and then logged back in, but the same issue persists?

I have tried to create the new Topic through my Windows system, but the same Error No: 0022 persists even trying that way, and I am still shown as "Visitor" so surely it is something to do with this site? :-?

Another anomaly is that with my Windows/Firefox the "Re-Direct" back to the edit page does not work, and it leaves me on the error page, even if I click on the Re-direct "here" link.

Anyone any idea what is happeneing, and how it can be fixed?

I was trying to open a TOPIC on:

OWB v1.25 unable to load Parcel2Go Quick-Quote correctly & some ebay pages

From today 2-May-2019, the Parcel2Go webpages have been changed, and as a result the option to arrange any services through that site are not possible with the current version of OWB v1.25.

Additionally some webpages of eBay are also either only partially functional or inaccessible, which I have mentioned on previous occasions, so OWB is rapidly running out of time with the eBay site, and has already done so, as it has before, with Parcel2Go. :-(

. . . the topic I have saved here to save me typing it all out again once this issue has been fixed. ;-)

[ Edited by NewSense 03.05.2019 - 03:55 ]
  • »02.05.19 - 21:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Github and MyHermes/Tracking have also updated their websites and they are virtually unviewable with OWB now

There are stronger security measures coming into force sometime soon this year regarding banking sites in order to reduce vulnerability for customers, which will probably mean OWB v1.25 is going to be "left out in the cold" with those affected (read into that as-> all) banks/building societies, and other financial institutions where security is paramount.

This is a topic not to be ignored, but should be high on our agenda for our OS.
  • »05.05.19 - 12:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

There are stronger security measures coming into force sometime soon this year regarding banking sites in order to reduce vulnerability for customers, which will probably mean OWB v1.25 is going to be "left out in the cold" with those affected (read into that as-> all) banks/building societies, and other financial institutions where security is paramount.

If you mean Payment services (PSD 2) (Directive (EU) 2015/2366) that at least doesn't mandate any changes to current browsers.
  • »05.05.19 - 14:14
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Don't worry, Monkey Island is leaving the EU so you'll be able to put all your insecure accounts and data on UK websites, as long as you don't mind not having the protection of EU privacy or fraud laws.
  • »05.05.19 - 15:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Piru - Nice to know you are familiar, Chapter & Verse, with the legislation/directives to the financial sector, but if the webpages are already at a point where they are already basically unviewable on some important sites using OWB then isn't that a cause for concern right now?

Are the financial directives not likely to have an impact on how OWB handles/views the pages of such institutions, if web-security is going to be a factor? :-?

If webpages like eBay, Github, Parcel2Go and MyHermes have changed some pages already, in such a way that OWB can't use some pages of those sites, and these sites are the only ones I am aware of so far as I don't go trawling the internet to look for such issues, then the problem is only likely to get a lot worse for us in an exponential way quite soon I imagine. As these sites always like to have the latest innovations on their pages, and they have the resources to pay web-design teams to implement these more complex pages, which generally seem to involve a JavaScript overload, which OWB's JavaScript engine doesn't seem to be able to handle.

Obviously the Windows, Linux and Macintosh software based web-browsers are capable of keeping themselves up-to-date with whatever changes are implemented so their browsers can be adapted to accept these newer capabilities, due to their greater financial and employee resources to code/update their browsers and keep up with these changes, as the speed that the web/security keeps changing so frequently.

I realise we probably don't have the means to adapt OWB to some of these latest features, or does the Development Team consider it can?

However, what I really wanted to know . . . is the matter being addressed, where possible, to get as far ahead as possible to make OWB realistically useful, or are these changes on the sites I've mentioned beyond the capabilities of the WebKit code that the Team have access to, in order to adapt it to our needs to make it a great deal less limited?

@ KennyR - I always appreciate a bit of humour, but it doesn't address any of the issues. ;-)
  • »06.05.19 - 06:20
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    @ Piru - Nice to know you are familiar, Chapter & Verse, with the legislation/directives to the financial sector, but if the webpages are already at a point where they are already basically unviewable on some important sites using OWB then isn't that a cause for concern right now?

Are the financial directives not likely to have an impact on how OWB handles/views the pages of such institutions, if web-security is going to be a factor? :-?

Mostly because the directive don't mandate changes in the browser functionalities. For example 2FA doesn't require changes in a browser to implement. Of course it is perfectly possible that changes happen over time (related or not) that will cause trouble.

As to trying to make Odyssey work better in the future: Believe me we're doing our best to try the fix the existing issues, but this is extremely difficult. Just maintaining a browser port is a huge task and we have a whole OS to consider.
  • »06.05.19 - 07:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Piru Thanks for replying in more detail, it is very much appreciated. :-)

I am concerned, as you obviously are, that the available code is getting tricky to keep as relevant and up-to-date as we need it to be to stay compatible, with the ever changing and updating way things are on the internet, and I appreciate a lot, the trouble you all go to in the Development Team in order to make our use of MorphOS as enjoyable as it is.

I also appreciate the the time you've taken to explain it, however briefly, so that I know these matters are definitely being looked into to endeavour to fix such issues, which I can only imagine is a gargantuan task for OWB alone, never mind the rest of MorphOS which would just have me bewildered.

I will try to take comfort in the fact that you are aware of these issues, and are doing as much as is possible to fix our web-browser, and keep MorphOS fantastic for us all to use. Thanks

[ EDIT ] I forgot to ask - any idea what is causing the ERROR 0022, stopping me from creating a new topic ? :-?
  • »07.05.19 - 03:42
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    The problem with those errors is that it isn't possible for us to just fix them in the current source tree.
  • »07.05.19 - 07:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps - So, does that mean that I should delete my profile/amend my profile name password sufficiently and then create a new one, or will that not work, or have you some other solution? :-?
  • »07.05.19 - 08:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Sorry, I was talking about errors in Odyssey itself, no errors within a particular website.
  • »07.05.19 - 09:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I have tried to create the new Topic through my Windows system, but the same Error No: 0022 persists even trying that way, and I am still shown as "Visitor" so surely it is something to do with this site? :-?

We keep having the same conversation. Please write down exactly what steps you follow to create a new topic. When I try to reproduce your problem, I never manage to do so and we have not heard from anybody else who has seen the same issue.

As recently as in February, you reported that the issue had been "fixed" for you even though nothing had changed with the website.
  • »08.05.19 - 07:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ASiegel

My main concern, apart from the fact that I cannot create a New Topic, is that as I attempt to create the Topic, above the edit window (the light blue backgrounded oblong with usually the text of the title of the page, person making the amendment and the time/date in that area, towards the bottom of the page, or at least not at the top of the page) displays my profile as "» by Visitor", wheras it should surely display that as "NewSense" shouldn't it? :-?

I have created pages in the past on the forum without any issue at all, so it's not like I don't know how to do this, after all it's not rocket-science (no slur or envy intended on any rocket scientists).

As I've already said, I also tried to create the same Topic using my Windows system, which is basically isolated from my MorphOS system, but the same error is displayed/created when I try to create the Topic on that system, so there seems to be something weird going on somewhere - as to what I surely don't know, but it's annoying at the same time.

I hate having to keep coming back to the topic which has not corrected itself, or been fixed if that is what is required, but surely there must be something to look into if there is an error message being generated, which seems to be entirely pointing towards the database of the website, otherwise why would I get an error message?

My profile and avatar are shown on the page I am editing, trying to create the New Topic, so that seems to indicate that I am logged in correctly, but yet this error is generated not withstanding me being logged in.

The basic method for creating a New Topic is, load a current thread, and then click on the New Topic button at the top of that thread, then when the new page loads, enter a suitable title for that topic, and then add whatever relevant text into the main editing window, then either "Preview" it, to check you are satisfied with what you want to say, or just "Submit" it.

It is after submitting it that I then get the Error 0022, and then get re-directed back to the page I just wrote, Title and Body Text intact, that I tried to submit - round and round in circles, with no completion to the action that is supposed to be effected by Submitting the Topic.
  • »09.05.19 - 08:00
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I have created pages in the past on the forum without any issue at all, so it's not like I don't know how to do this, after all it's not rocket-science (no slur or envy intended on any rocket scientists).

See below.

Quote:

The basic method for creating a New Topic is, load a current thread, and then click on the New Topic button at the top of that thread, then when the new page loads, enter a suitable title for that topic, and then add whatever relevant text into the main editing window, then either "Preview" it, to check you are satisfied with what you want to say, or just "Submit" it.

The obvious way to create a new topic is to visit the homepage, log in, go to the forums section, choose a suitable subforum, and then create a new topic in the selected subforum.

This is exactly what I did when I tried to recreate your problem. It never failed for me. Everybody else seems to be doing the same thing or I assume we would have had more bug reports.

Quote:

It is after submitting it that I then get the Error 0022, and then get re-directed back to the page I just wrote, Title and Body Text intact, that I tried to submit - round and round in circles, with no completion to the action that is supposed to be effected by Submitting the Topic.

I will look into it but do not be surprised if the "New Topic" button disappears from existing topics. Using it does not allow to switch to a more fitting subforum so it is a less preferable way to create new forum topics anyway.
  • »09.05.19 - 09:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ ASiegel - André, I appreciate you taking the time to look into this problem, but I'm surprised that, and if, no-one else uses the "New Topic" button on the main pages, as it's very handy to be there, and saves the trouble of looking for a suitable type of thread, from the specific forums, as I generally just look in the News/Latest Discussions section, and go from there, as I rarely just delve straight into a sub-section, if I should call it that?

... and besides which, the "New Topic" button on each thread be that "Hardware", Beginners", "General Discussion", etc., which is surely only another repeat of that same button, just not in a specific forum type thread, isn't it? :-?

[ Edited by NewSense 11.05.2019 - 09:38 ]
  • »11.05.19 - 09:37