Open Power
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    "Partner Chip POWER8/9"

So...there IS a path forward with PPC.
    And its not Freescale/NXP, its with the originator of the PowerPC (or its partners).
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »11.09.16 - 14:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

>>>> Raptor Engineering Inc. pre-announces Talos, an OpenPOWER ATX workstation
    >>>> mainboard for 3100 USD. [...]
    >>>> http://www.raptorengineeringinc.com/TALOS/prerelease.php

>>> Reduced to 3000 USD.

>> Raised to 3700 USD.

> board will also be available without CPU for 2700 USD (i.e. stock CPU is 1000 USD)

Raised to 5300 USD. The board will also be available without CPU for 4000 USD (i.e. stock CPU is 1300 USD).
  • »13.09.16 - 11:27
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    ...Raised to 5300 USD. The board will also be available without CPU for 4000 USD (i.e. stock CPU is 1300 USD).

Where is he link for that?
    It does place the board outside anything I'd consider.
  • »13.09.16 - 11:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Where is he link for that?

In the quoted part of the comment you just replied to :-)
  • »13.09.16 - 14:05
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Where is he link for that?

In the quoted part of the comment you just replied to :-)

OMFG - That isn't reasonable. That just makes the Tyan systems look more attractive, although the height of the enclosures would increase the difficulty of adding a video card.
  • »13.09.16 - 16:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > That just makes the Tyan systems look more attractive, although the height
    > of the enclosures would increase the difficulty of adding a video card.

Yes, the 2U height would require a low-profile card.
  • »13.09.16 - 21:02
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > That just makes the Tyan systems look more attractive, although the height
    > of the enclosures would increase the difficulty of adding a video card.

Yes, the 2U height would require a low-profile card.

Not if you installed it in an alternate case, but that would be a PITA. Still, there are some nice Radeon 7750 half height cards.

Hey remember I pm'd you a few days ago about asking for a price quote from Tyan's distributor?
    Lisa still hasn't gotten back to me with that.

[ Edited by Jim 13.09.2016 - 18:09 ]
  • »13.09.16 - 21:07
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    I've been experimenting this week trying to get WarpOS working with WinUAE, trying to get xpkBZIP.library working for a benchmark I was putting together for preparation of a wikipedia page on xpk I was putting together (but which was rejected for lack of references.)

(I'd sort of got WarpOS working, although it was flaky and tended to work differently between reboots. And I couldn't get P96 working with it, even with PIV emulation and so on.)

But as I put my UAE image back to how it was so that powerpc.library wasn't crashing it when I'd switched PPC emulation off, I began thinking of how long it would take WinUAE/QEmu to get it right when the thought struck me:

Why?

Most PPC software isn't necessary any more. The PPC games on Amiga can all be found on other platforms, or run on 68k. Most of MorphOS' better software comes with MorphOS. And the situation isn't any better on OS4. I can't even preserve Amiga stuff like xpk on wikipedia because there are literally zero non-forum third party references to draw on.

I'm still wondering how you guys think any more than six people will go out and buy a mega-expensive PPC system to go run Amiga NG on.

[ Edited by KennyR 30.04.2019 - 10:11 ]
  • »30.04.19 - 09:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I'm still wondering how you guys think any more than six people will
    > go out and buy a mega-expensive PPC system to go run Amiga NG on.

Six people were apparently enough for the MorphOS team to port MorphOS to Sam460 and Cyrus/X5000 (and for Hyperion to port OS4 to Sam460, Nemo/X1000 and Cyrus/X5000). So why not POWER9 then? ;-) One of the problems I see is that ACube and A-Eon provided free development boards/systems, which I don't see happening with Raptor (at least for non-OSS operating systems).
  • »30.04.19 - 11:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    Make Morphos open source on LGPL license and let everybody use Morphos on whatever want.
  • »30.04.19 - 12:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

I'm still wondering how you guys think any more than six people will go out and buy a mega-expensive PPC system to go run Amiga NG on.

Nope, I am over PPC. Delusional people in another camp can have it. PowerMac G5 will never be topped for Amiga-like NG. One day UAE will even overtake that. In some aspects when it comes to PPC Amiga-Classic gaming, it already has.

I'm ready for the move to commodity hardware.
  • »01.05.19 - 02:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ppcamiga1
    commodity hardware? No problem IF Morphos will be not a shit compared to Windows/macOS/Linux.
    Amiga gui and graphics on top of unix is ok, everything else no.

[ Edited by ppcamiga1 01.05.2019 - 06:44 ]
  • »01.05.19 - 06:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ppcamiga1 wrote:
    commodity hardware? No problem IF Morphos will be not a shit compared to Windows/macOS/Linux.
    Amiga gui and graphics on top of unix is ok, everything else no.

Repeating yourself over and over again will not change the fact that it appears that no one here on MorphZone, and more importantly, none of the MorphOS Dev. Team members, agrees with your ideas of keeping only the Amiga GUI and graphics on top of UNIX, as the path forward for MorphOS.

I hope that the MorphOS Dev. Team can keep only the best parts of our current version of MorphOS, and throw away all the rest of the Amiga legacy limitations, while creating a brand new OS that is clearly better than anything else available on the home desktop computer. Figuring out how to provide drivers for hardware seems to be one of the hardest things to solve, and that is the reason I have suggested some kind of integration with the Linux kernel, or any other kernel, that can provide ongoing driver support by others outside of the MorphOS Dev. Team, that can also be used within the next generation of MorphOS. That would free up time for the MorphOS Dev. Team members to focus on the rest of the OS, but of course I'm not a developer, so I don't know how difficult any of my suggestions might be to implement into MorphOS for x64.

[ Edited by amigadave 01.05.2019 - 08:29 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »01.05.19 - 16:28
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

redrumloa schrieb:
    [...] PowerMac G5 will never be topped for Amiga-like NG. One day UAE will even overtake that. In some aspects when it comes to PPC Amiga-Classic gaming, it already has.

Are you sure that UAE even overtook Amiga-m86k? Did you ever set full chipset emulation in WinUAE? :-D

And I think the G5 has already been topped by the X5000 in at least some aspects, even if it is still faster when Altivec is used.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »01.05.19 - 20:28