FS: 17" PowerBook G4 1,67 GHz (A1139) [SOLD]
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Specs:

- a PowerPC 7447A CPU at 1,67 GHz
    - 2 GB of DDR2 RAM
    - high res display at 1920x1200 resolution instead of standard 1680x1050 (the display is swapped with the one from a 17-inch MacBook Pro)
    - Radeon Mobility 9700 with 128 MB of VRAM
    - "SuperDrive" optical drive
    - 120 GB hard drive
    - AirPort and Bluetooth built in
    - US keyboard layout
    - genuine 65W power adapter included

Downsides:

- it's not in a perfect shape, some dents here and there (see pictures)
    - the battery is flat. It needs replacement
    - the display's got slight key markings on it (see pictures) and has some dark spots in its left part. Not really dead pixels, more like some dirt got between the display layers.

I'm asking for EUR 80 plus shipping.

You can see the photos here.
  • »21.02.19 - 17:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Specs:

- high res display at 1920x1200 resolution instead of standard 1680x1050 (the display is swapped with the one from a 17-inch MacBook Pro)

I never knew the display could be swapped out for a higher resolution model, did you do that yourself? If yes, was it hard to remove the original display, and replace it with the high resolution display? Were any changes needed with the Radeon 9700 drivers for use with MacOSX?

I'm guessing that there were no problems setting up the MorphOS display to the new resolution, or was it automatically detected, and no manual changes needed?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »21.02.19 - 19:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I never knew the display could be swapped out for a higher resolution model, did you do that yourself? If yes, was it hard to remove the original display, and replace it with the high resolution display? Were any changes needed with the Radeon 9700 drivers for use with MacOSX?

I'm guessing that there were no problems setting up the MorphOS display to the new resolution, or was it automatically detected, and no manual changes needed?

Yep, I did the swap myself (I even wrote a tutorial with photos how to do it - yet to be published). Unfortunately the same can't be done with 15,2" models (the MacBooks use slightly different display diameter and I've learned that the hard way) No software changes were needed whatsoever. It worked automagically, both in OSX and MorphOS.
  • »21.02.19 - 19:49
  • ASiegel
    Quick note for anybody interested in buying this as a truly mobile machine: Finding reasonably priced batteries for the 17 inch Powerbook models is difficult. For unused batteries, you usually have to pay around 100 EUR or higher. (For comparison, you can buy brand new batteries for 15 inch Powerbooks for around 20 EUR.)

Having said this, the Powerbook 17 is a very interesting choice for desktop uses since it offers many advantages of G5 systems without the added noise and power consumption. Thanks to 128MB of graphics memory, you can use it more comfortably with higher resolutions and / or many screens than Mac Minis with either 32 or 64 of graphics memory. Powerbook models with 128MB of vmem also tend to have dual-link DVI ports so you can use modern 2560x1440 screens, which is another advantage compared to Mac Minis.

As long as you close the lid quickly after powering on the machine, it will operate just like a desktop machine and the internal display remains switched off during use.
  • »22.02.19 - 12:39
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

Yep, I did the swap myself (I even wrote a tutorial with photos how to do it - yet to be published). Unfortunately the same can't be done with 15,2" models (the MacBooks use slightly different display diameter and I've learned that the hard way) No software changes were needed whatsoever. It worked automagically, both in OSX and MorphOS.

I still have my 17" G4 PowerBook with the original 1680x1050 display, and if it is not too expensive to find the compatible 1920x1200 resolution replacement MacBook LCD's, I would consider doing the swap, so I'll be looking for your tutorial when it is ready for release.

Good luck with your sale!
  • »22.02.19 - 17:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quick note for anybody interested in buying this as a truly mobile machine: Finding reasonably priced batteries for the 17 inch Powerbook models is difficult. For unused batteries, you usually have to pay around 100 EUR or higher. (For comparison, you can buy brand new batteries for 15 inch Powerbooks for around 20 EUR.)

Having said this, the Powerbook 17 is a very interesting choice for desktop uses since it offers many advantages of G5 systems without the added noise and power consumption. Thanks to 128MB of graphics memory, you can use it more comfortably with higher resolutions and / or many screens than Mac Minis with either 32 or 64 of graphics memory. Powerbook models with 128MB of vmem also tend to have dual-link DVI ports so you can use modern 2560x1440 screens, which is another advantage compared to Mac Minis.

As long as you close the lid quickly after powering on the machine, it will operate just like a desktop machine and the internal display remains switched off during use.

Sadly, getting replacement batteries is a problem, and when you do, they don't seem to last more than 12 to 18 months before the batteries begin to exhibit much shorter charge time capacities (weird choice of words for battery life, but can't think of the right words at the moment).

I wonder if it is possible to disassemble the stock, or replacement battery packs and replace only the battery cells within with cheaper, but quality cells, then put it back together?
  • »22.02.19 - 18:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I wonder if it is possible to disassemble the stock, or replacement battery packs and replace only the battery cells within with cheaper, but quality cells, then put it back together?

I guess that could be done, but there are not only cells there. For the stock ones - I guess it's the inside electronics that is tricky to cheat it's brand new. As for replacing the cells in a "replacement pack" - that's an interesting option.

Isn't the A1139 battery just the same as in early MacBook Pro?

@thread: Price dropped to 90 EUR, you sharp negotiators!
  • »23.02.19 - 06:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    OK, guys. One final offer of 80 EUR before it goes to eBay.
  • »25.02.19 - 10:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

I guess that could be done, but there are not only cells there. For the stock ones - I guess it's the inside electronics that is tricky to cheat it's brand new. As for replacing the cells in a "replacement pack" - that's an interesting option.

Isn't the A1139 battery just the same as in early MacBook Pro?

@thread: Price dropped to 90 EUR, you sharp negotiators!

I don't know if the battery is the same as the one for the early MacBook Pro models, but in either case, the non-apple brand battery replacements don't seem to last long. I don't know if you can find any Apple branded replacement batteries, I doubt it. I have my original battery, and the replacement battery, which only holds a charge for less than an hour now, so I think I will take apart one of them, to see if I can replace the battery cells with higher quality battery cells that are brand new, and hope that it will restore my running time while on battery power to at least a couple hours or more.
  • »25.02.19 - 19:32
    Kronos
    3rd party battery != 3rd party battery

Bought one for the 5.9 some time before 3.0 got released, still holds > 3h, only issue is that the calibration is way of.
  • »25.02.19 - 19:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

koszer wrote: Isn't the A1139 battery just the same as in early MacBook Pro?

I thought they looked similar, but I'd not be willing to take the chance to find out, for that amount, only to find that they are totally incompatible. If someone owns a MacBook Pro, and a 17" Powerbook, maybe they could test their battery out for us. 8-)

I have a few A1139s, so buying another, even though it's an interesting variation on the screen change/upgrade, would be too much for me, but it's a fair price I suppose, and I'm surprised someone hasn't offered your asking price, or close to it already.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »25.02.19 - 20:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    It just came to me that I'm advertising a genuine 65 W power supply, while there's a 45 W power supply shown on photos. That's my mistake. Of course I do have a 65 W brick and the computer would go with it.

Not that I think it would change something regarding potential offers, but let's be honest to the very end :)
  • »26.02.19 - 07:08
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ koszer

The 45Watt Chargers/PSUs (Apple part A1036) actually don't charge the 17" PowerBooks sufficiently while the system is running, and eventually the battery will end up more or less totally depleted of charge, so anyone owning a 17" PowerBook needs a 65 Watt PSU/Charger (Apple part A1021) or your battery (which can be very expensive to replace) would end up prematurely useless/dead. :-(

[ Edited by NewSense 26.02.2019 - 07:37 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »26.02.19 - 07:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    ...and that's why I'm not selling this PowerBook with 45W power supply. Just wanted that to be clear, as the photos can be misleading.

Anyway, time to install OSX and shove it on eBay, I guess.
  • »26.02.19 - 12:33
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Sounds cool to me, but I already bought an unsupported G5.
    At least I can recommend deals with koszer :-)
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »26.02.19 - 15:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    Sounds cool to me, but I already bought an unsupported G5.

Ha, I my G5 Quad is waiting in line for its LCS overhaul too - but I lack the motivation to do it as long as there's no (official) MorphOS for it :)
  • »26.02.19 - 16:11
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

koszer schrieb:
    Ha, I my G5 Quad is waiting in line for its LCS overhaul too - but I lack the motivation to do it as long as there's no (official) MorphOS for it :)

Speaking of unsopported G5 - what OS X Install Media do I need for these G5 11,2? And where to get it? The OS X 10.4 DVD from my G5 7,3 does not boot (kernel panic).
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »01.03.19 - 19:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    Speaking of unsopported G5 - what OS X Install Media do I need for these G5 11,2? And where to get it? The OS X 10.4 DVD from my G5 7,3 does not boot (kernel panic).

AFAIK the 11,2 was supplied with 10.4.2 as standard OS, but your "single core" version could have problems on it (the OEM install media were customized to certain hardware).
  • »02.03.19 - 07:22