Hollywood 8 available!
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    one of the best (if not THE BEST)programs/tools the Amiga community has!

Upgraded and downloaded, now I just need to force myself to make time to use it every week, so I can learn all of its potential, and make useful stuff for myself and others to use on all flavors of the Amiga experience, including of course, MorphOS, where I will be using Hollywood the most.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »15.02.19 - 19:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    It doesn't seem to be a lot new for Amiga based systems.
    Most is for Android.

Manfred
  • »16.02.19 - 11:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

asrael22 wrote:
    Most is for Android.

I guess that's where the money is. But we still should be thankful for what we've got.
  • »16.02.19 - 11:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Certainly. That's why I paid for Hollywood 7.

Regarding this Android and iOS stuff, I'm concerned if I had to use it professionally, that it limits me at some point.
    That's why I'd rather port my code from Objective-C/Swift to Java/Kotlin or wise versa.
    To attract clients that use this professionally this stuff should be rock solid, and extendable with native functionality.
    But it really depends what you need.
  • »16.02.19 - 12:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

asrael22 schrieb:
    Certainly. That's why I paid for Hollywood 7.

Regarding this Android and iOS stuff, I'm concerned if I had to use it professionally, that it limits me at some point.
    That's why I'd rather port my code from Objective-C/Swift to Java/Kotlin or wise versa.
    To attract clients that use this professionally this stuff should be rock solid, and extendable with native functionality.
    But it really depends what you need.

Hollywood 8 reached a state that finally allows professional Andoid programming. The earlier versions were a bit limited, I mean I put quite some work into an Android app (Hurra, ich wachse!) and it just hadn't become what I wanted it to become. The new Hollywood version comes with many new feautures:RapaGUI, Java interface, camera, gyroscope and accellerometer accessible, hardware accelearted drawing (it crawled before!).
    It's quite cool. But from objectveC to Java it's probaly still a smaller step than to Hollywood. But for from scratch develop,ent Hollywood is quite an option and with V8 quite competetive.
    If you don't target Android the update from 7 to 8 is not that big, but there are still quite some things in and RapaGUI2.x will require Hollywood 8+ AFAIK.
    My suggestion:
    If you are rather tight on money and don't target Android keep V7, if you target Android the update is mandatory. If you are not too tight on money but don't do very much with Hollywood, consider an updatet to support Andreas, he deserves it!
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »16.02.19 - 14:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

asrael22 wrote:
    Most is for Android.

There are still many fixes and new features to basic functions for Amiga systems that make it quite important update to us too in my opinion. These kind of smaller things just don't get mentioned in the press release which focues on new bigger features.
  • »16.02.19 - 14:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Probably no chance of this ever happening but I'd love a Haiku port of Hollywood.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »18.02.19 - 08:37
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    Wonder why they don't make Designer available to the main stream OS's? Seems this could be big on other platforms as well?
    17" Powerbook. MorphOS registered
    Hear my music here: Gordon Gallant
    And here: Kattalax
  • »18.02.19 - 12:39
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Spihunter wrote:
    Wonder why they don't make Designer available to the main stream OS's? Seems this could be big on other platforms as well?

Probably because the original was written using MUI, which is not available on all target platforms.

Now that RapaGUI is finally available for all target platforms, perhaps a new version could be written that uses this instead.

That being said, I would not bet on Hollywood Designer being "big" on other platforms. As far as I can tell, there are numerous free options available that offer similar functionality.
  • »18.02.19 - 13:28
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    softwarefailure
    @ASiegel: Btw, what happened to the news items on morph.zone? I submitted news of Hollywood 8 on February 10th but it still hasn't been published?!
  • »19.02.19 - 13:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @softwarefailure

Due to technical issues, all recent news submissions have failed to be properly submitted, hence are unfortunately lost. For this reason, the "submit news" link has been disabled for about a week now.
  • »19.02.19 - 13:50
  • ASiegel
    Quick update: News submissions should work again now.
  • »19.02.19 - 17:50
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Quote:

Spihunter wrote:

Probably because the original was written using MUI, which is not available on all target platforms.

Now that RapaGUI is finally available for all target platforms, perhaps a new version could be written that uses this instead.

That being said, I would not bet on Hollywood Designer being "big" on other platforms. As far as I can tell, there are numerous free options available that offer similar functionality.

Got any links to alternatives? I would def buy Hollywood to support them but would be interesting to play with alternatives on other platforms.
    17" Powerbook. MorphOS registered
    Hear my music here: Gordon Gallant
    And here: Kattalax
  • »20.02.19 - 15:31
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

softwarefailure wrote:
    @ASiegel: Btw, what happened to the news items on morph.zone? I submitted news of Hollywood 8 on February 10th but it still hasn't been published?!

Please submit it again. Hollywood 8 is a big deal.
  • »20.02.19 - 18:13
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    softwarefailure
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Please submit it again. Hollywood 8 is a big deal.

Resubmitted...
  • »22.02.19 - 12:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Quote:

asrael22 escribió:
    Most is for Android.

Manfred

It has new instructions for Amiga systems too, also the most important is that new Hollywood is compiled with the last gcc in all Amiga systems to better compatibility.
  • »23.02.19 - 19:02