Really old
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Roland
    Hi All, I recently got an A1200 and acquired a 68060/PPC603 + BVision card. MorphOS 1.4.5 can run on it.
    My questions:
    - can I use my Morphos 3.11 key for 1.4.5?

One reason I consider MorphOS is because it runs with the BVision card natively, which is good because I don't want to keep the old monitor around. What really intrigues me: does MorphOS 1.4.5 have support for native Amiga games, like an integrated UAE? And how is the performance? Can it natively run Eagleplayer for example and play MP3 or does that need to be done inside the amiga emulator.

So, would I be able to use MorphOS as a integrated replacement for Amiga OS 3.1, 3.5 and 3.9. These versions are complex patchworks of patch on patch on patch to make everything work. Stability: good luck :)

Thanks all
  • »12.02.19 - 18:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    You can't. MorphOS key works only on machine it was generated for. Also, 1.4.5 can't be registered anymore.

603 is just too slow for UAE. It can be integrated separately. When I had a 750CXe 600MHz it could run most 68000 OCS games, but even then some were too slow.

MorphOS has integrated 68k emulation with JIT, as long as the 68k software don't t hit hw directly - it works. For games you usually need UAE. EaglePlayer works if AHI is used as the audio output.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »12.02.19 - 19:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Hi All, I recently got an A1200 and acquired a 68060/PPC603 + BVision card. MorphOS 1.4.5 can run on it.
    My questions:
    - can I use my Morphos 3.11 key for 1.4.5?

No, MOS_Key is bound to hardware. But afaik MOS 1.4.5 was free....?!?

One reason I consider MorphOS is because it runs with the BVision card natively, which is good because I don't want to keep the old monitor around. What really intrigues me: does MorphOS 1.4.5 have support for native Amiga games, like an integrated UAE?

No, there is no built-in UAE - you have to install it as 3rd-party.
    There are cerain tools to integrate it into Ambient filetype-system - so it "looks like" running directly in MOS.

And how is the performance? Can it natively run Eagleplayer for example and play MP3 or does that need to be done inside the amiga emulator.

Your hardware is'nt very powerfull - don't expect to much.
    There are better MP3-players than Eagleplayer (won't use that really) - use Kaya or somethimng else from here ( http://www.morphos-storage.net/index.php?all=1 ) instead.

So, would I be able to use MorphOS as a integrated replacement for Amiga OS 3.1, 3.5 and 3.9. These versions are complex patchworks of patch on patch on patch to make everything work. Stability: good luck :)

MOS is API-compatible to AOS3.1 - the rest is completly new and stable. Most of system-conform programmed software (which uses no custom-chips) is running very good (thanks to build-in 68K-JIT named Trance) - eg. FinalWriter, Pagestream, ImageFX, and so on...

And yes, it's a bit different, but it has the Amiga-feeling!

Let's say: Not the original - but better!

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 12.02.2019 - 20:28 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »12.02.19 - 19:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Free for Pegasos1/2. 1.4.5 for Amigas required registration and a keyfile.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »12.02.19 - 19:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Roland
    Thanks all!
    Sadly enough, the old MorphOS 1.4.5 also has a built-in time out that makes it slow down after two hours. Is there someone of the old MorphOS team that could generate a public key file? MorphOS 1 is no longer useful if you can't lift the 2 hour limit.

Good to know performance is bad, so using UAE is not a real option.
  • »12.02.19 - 19:41
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Roland
    Thanks, so it has really been abandoned. On to another PPC system for amiga then.
  • »12.02.19 - 20:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Korni schrieb:

MorphOS has integrated 68k emulation with JIT, as long as the 68k software don't t hit hw directly - it works.

On A1200PPC this is not so limited - with some tricks (don't do a full startup-sequence) there was quite a lot possible IIRC. But of course AGA output would be then through the Amiga video connector in 15kHz and not via the vga connector of the BVision.

My A1200ppc setup back in the day ran very stable and with 64MB RAM quite something was possible.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »12.02.19 - 20:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Roland schrieb:
    Thanks, so it has really been abandoned. On to another PPC system for amiga then.

The A1200ppc has some particular charme, but for MorphOS it is not the best suited system. As I wrote my A1200ppc with MorphOS 1.4.5 ran very nice and stable, but I sold it off as i had no use for it anymore as the Pegasos1 was far superior.

Get a powerbook 1.667 GHz for little money and have fun, or an mac mini 1.5 GHz. With some search these are cheaply available and they are really nice, versatile and good systems.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »12.02.19 - 20:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    MorphOS and OS4 didn't really support the PPC Amiga accelerators. I mean they ran on it... sort of. Like a demo.

While OS4 (4.0) will have access to AGA, you might find it incompatible with the 4.1 most of the software is now built for. 4.1 never ran on classic, AFAIK.

The best use for a BPPC/CPPC setup is still to use AmigaOS3.9, WarpOS (with PowerUP emulation). Unfortunately you don't get later developments like MUI4. The retro boom unfortunately didn't result in a boom in 68k ports - that side of things is still dead as a plank of wood. Maybe once the litigation calms down, who knows...
  • »13.02.19 - 20:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > 4.1 never ran on classic, AFAIK.

All OS4 releases since November 2007 including current 4.1FE Update 1 have been available for PowerUP-equipped classic Amigas.

> The best use for a BPPC/CPPC setup is still to use AmigaOS3.9, WarpOS
    > (with PowerUP emulation). Unfortunately you don't get later developments
    > like MUI4. The retro boom unfortunately didn't result in a boom in 68k ports

MUI4/MUI5 for OS3/m68k: https://muidev.de/downloads :-)
  • »13.02.19 - 21:04
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > 4.1 never ran on classic, AFAIK.

All OS4 releases since November 2007 including current 4.1FE Update 1 have been available for PowerUP-equipped classic Amigas.

Ah yes, it was Warp3D I was thinking about. A useful asset in classic, it disappeared in 4.1. So a lot of users stuck with 4.0.

Quote:

> The best use for a BPPC/CPPC setup is still to use AmigaOS3.9, WarpOS
    > (with PowerUP emulation). Unfortunately you don't get later developments
    > like MUI4. The retro boom unfortunately didn't result in a boom in 68k ports

MUI4/MUI5 for OS3/m68k: https://muidev.de/downloads :-)

The compatibility of this new stuff is rather questionable. I wouldn't recommend it for running AmiNetRadio or anything AmigaZeux produced, although that could be because we never tested it - nor are likely to.
  • »14.02.19 - 16:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> 4.1 never ran on classic, AFAIK.

>> All OS4 releases since November 2007 including current 4.1FE Update 1
    >> have been available for PowerUP-equipped classic Amigas.

> Ah yes

I was not quite correct either. OS4.1, which saw general release in 2008, came to PowerUP hardware only in 2011 (OS4.1 Update 2).

> it was Warp3D I was thinking about. [...] it disappeared in 4.1.

No, OS4.1 releases at least until OS4.1 Update 5 released in 2012 still had Warp3D for classic PPC, and I'm pretty sure it has not disappeared in any release since, up to including current OS4.1FE Update 1 for classic PPC.
  • »14.02.19 - 20:44