OWB v1.25/JIT - some ebay pages don't react to mouse events
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    On 20-Jan-2019 I tried to access a page on ebay, my Selling page which links to Draft listing, so I clicked on the Saved Drafts link, which took me to the - New Drafts Page, where I found an overlaid area with a "X" close gadget, and a click-on "OK, got it" area, these "buttons" are not triggered/closed/actioned by OWB, as they just don't do anything. They change colour as they probably should, but no "spoofing" seems to alter/activate the overlaid area of code to allow the area to close as it should.

I did manage to get past the code by interrogating the code on the page, and by deleting a couple of nodes that seem to hold the code in place, which then removed the overlaid area and thus allowed me to access the main page 'below'.

This issue relates to both the MorphOS v3.11 release that included OWB v1.25, and the later JIT enabled release by bigfoot.

Anyway, today 12-Feb-2019 I clicked on a "Leave Feedback" item, and the page loaded, and the fields of the page loaded as they usually do, but when the "Leave Feedback" button is clicked on the button appears to have been triggered but the data is not transferred to the website. There is some CPU activity as though it is actioning some JavaScript to action the response, but the code is not meeting the requirements of the website and so the "Feedback" cannot be left.

Then I worked out that I was able to "Leave Feedback" yesterday 11-Feb-2019 for numerous items but today the page is unresponsive, which seem to be the second page that now seems to be non-functional. So, I checked the versions I have, and this unresponsiveness ONLY applies when using OWB v1.25 JIT release 1 or 2 as supplied as the separately released v1.25 JIT coded by bigfoot.

The OWB release v1.25 that was included with MorphOS v3.11 is unaffected on that Feeback page on ebay, and allows you to leave feeback as normal, which is presumably the version I was using when I left feedback successfully.

Following a suggestion by ASiegel I also tried de-activating the Content Blocking option in preferences, but with no effect.

I have also noticed that the Watch List page is also unresponsive. If an item is required to be removed from your Watch List by "ticking" the box at the side of the item, it usually triggers the "Delete" option button, which is initially "ghosted" grey but on clicking on an item then turns solid blue, but this no longer occurs, and so you cannot delete an item from your Watch List by this method.

Also, the drop-down option button that is titled "I'd like to .." also does nothing, which used to offer additional options such as, "view similar items" but is now inaccessible/does not respond, or even highight when the mouse hovers over the button, with any of the versions of OWB that I have. So this is a third page/issue that is affecting the current version of OWB.

If you try to add an item to your Watch List then I have noticed that it does not always get added to the "Watch List" any more, though generally speaking this does work correctly with OWB v1.25 as supplied with MorphOS v3.11, and with the initial Level 1 JIT release, and the 2nd JIT release by bigfoot, but will probably be affected by updates to eBay's codebase for their webpage in the not too distant future - as it relates to "Watching" items, and the "Watch List" page(s)..

However, you can ADD or DELETE items via "My eBay Summary" page and either delete them individually or by "ticking" the box at the side of the item, and then select the "Delete" button, which then will delete the "ticked" items by the normal methods from your Watch List.

However, how long this will continue to be possible, as eBay are certain to realise that the "My eBay Summary" page does not work like the "Watch List" page and will update their site pages so that all items are deleted through the same code/method, and then what do we do if this is still the case with OWB at that time?

These all seem to be limitations of OWB v1.25 as supplied with release MorphOS v3.11 and also applies when using OWB v1.25 JIT release 1 and 2 as supplied as the separately released v1.25 JIT coded by bigfoot..

I feel sure there will be other issues I have not yet identified that limit OWB v1.25, with either or both the official MorphOS v3.11 release, and/or the JIT enabled bigfoot releases, but I mention it for other MorphOS users to be aware of, and for the MorphOS Team to be aware of this issue to resolve it. I haven't sent it in as a bug, as I don't suppose it is, but it is certainly a limitation of what OWB v1.25 is capable of as standard, without editing/changing the code of a webpage.

I have submitted a bug report regarding this erroneous behaviour with OWB.

[ Edited by NewSense 13.02.2019 - 01:05 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »12.02.19 - 01:46
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    The only way to fix those issues is to update webkit to a more recent version. It’s not something that can be fixed overnight.

Work is being done to make an update possible, including getting a more recent toolchain and Odyssey’s components up to date.
  • »13.02.19 - 10:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps

I appreciate your quick reply, and I realise this is not likely to be just a quick-fix.

However, it is really necessary to keep OWB current, and useful for use with modern websites, not just eBay, which I know is likely to be a lot of work.

I appreciate the Team's efforts will likely require a considerable amount of time to regularly find ways to keep OWB up-to-date.

[ Edited by NewSense 13.11.2019 - 01:25 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »14.02.19 - 03:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I came across this recent post by jaokim - on AmigaWorld as a forum thread post

Quote:

jaokim said: @all

I’ve begun trying to merge the latest Aros changes with OS4 compilation stuff. My aim is to create a reproducible build environment, using Docker for cross-compilation and some scripts to automate dependency download. The build environment is practically done; have to get some documentation in place so others can use.

Regarding Odyssey I’m in the middle of getting a full comple through without any missing files or dependencies. I could use some help on stuff like fontconfig, Cairo, and others. Have managed to build a few missing dependencies.

The plan in short:
    * Compile latest Aros branch on OS4, creating an executable (which I reckon will crash)
    * Try and fix so it doesn’t crash, or proceed to next step (if the crash is due to endian stuff)
    * Update code to next WebKit branch that has patches for TenFourFox/Leopard/Mac-safari.
    * Make it compile, and run, and conquer the world.

I however don’t want to give people too much hope. But one thing I will be able to achieve is a cross-compile environment that anyone can just start and type “make” with. Without having to hunt the webz for dependencies long gone.

Anyone wanting to help is very much welcome. First step for that someone would be to have a docker environment setup.

Would some kind of assistance from MorphOS be possible, and beneficial to us all as Amiga-like users to support this idea/plan?
  • »27.02.19 - 13:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Seeing how he wants to apply Firefox patches into WebKit I don't think we'll see much coming from this guy :)
  • »27.02.19 - 18:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I should also point out that the 'Shopping Basket' payment option of the ebay site is also non-responsive, as are many other features on that site as they are continually migrated to JavaScript options from other code that worked previously with OWB v1.25. I just hope the work on advancing the codebase and functionality of OWB is going to be found in 3.12, whenever that is released - hopefully quite soon. ;-)
  • »27.09.19 - 04:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Daff
    @NewSense

DeepL seems to be also non-responsive since 3-4 days.
    https://www.deepl.com/translator

Some Capchas on various websites are also non-responsive since this week.

Config : MOS 3.11 + OWB 1.25 and various spoofings.
    Obligement - L'Amiga au maximum
    http://obligement.free.fr
  • »27.09.19 - 07:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Daff wrote:
    @NewSense

DeepL seems to be also non-responsive since 3-4 days.
    https://www.deepl.com/translator

Oddly enough, Odyssey 1.23 does not display the website correctly but it is functional. (The website also works properly with an old iPad 2 that uses a similar Webkit version.)
  • »27.09.19 - 11:23
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    NicePics13
    Quote:

However, it is really necessary to keep OWB current, and useful for use with modern websites, not just eBay, which I know is likely to be a lot of work.

Is it even possible for smaller actors to keep up with Google's insane WWWIII plans?

CBM Amiga 1200 + 4MB AMITEK with 33MHz 68882 FPU
    PowerBook5,4 1024MB 1333MHz G4
  • »27.09.19 - 22:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I just found that PayPal - UK - Main Landing page goes blank (white) after initially loading background images and links, so there's nothing to 'click' on, so navigating that way with OWB just won't work from that page.

I can still use my direct method of logging in, but this is just another limitation of OWB creeping in, sadly. :-(
  • »07.10.19 - 04:48
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

ASiegel schrieb:
    Oddly enough, Odyssey 1.23 does not display the website correctly but it is functional. (The website also works properly with an old iPad 2 that uses a similar Webkit version.)

Indeed! What about the argument "our engine is too old"? ;-)
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »09.10.19 - 09:47
  • ASiegel
    @ polluks

Quote:

What about the argument "our engine is too old"?

I am afraid it does apply sometimes. Some websites are not designed to work with anything but the very latest browsers and rely on specific Javascript features that were introduced fairly recently.

Anyway, since it works with Odyssey 1.23, maybe this specific event handler issue (DeepL, etc.) can be addressed / circumvented via user script or changes to the actual browser.
  • »09.10.19 - 10:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    I am afraid it does apply sometimes. Some websites are not designed to work with anything but the very latest browsers and rely on specific Javascript features that were introduced fairly recently.

Cannot agree on that. OWB fails on css already, for example it doesn't recognize anything about "Flexbox".
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »09.10.19 - 13:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    OWB fails on css already, for example it doesn't recognize anything about "Flexbox".

I believe the latest Odyssey does. At least on some websites.
  • »09.10.19 - 13:09
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

pampers wrote:
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

Cannot agree on that. OWB fails on css already, for example it doesn't recognize anything about "Flexbox".

What is the last MorphOS version you have used?

Allegro.pl would not display as well as it does via Odyssey v1.25 and newer without any Flexbox support.

In fact, allegro.pl was one of our test cases for improving Odyssey. MorphOS 3.11 and later is a lot better at displaying modern websites.

Here is a quote from the MorphOS 3.11 release notes:
    Quote:

Adds support for additional CSS property values used by modern flexbox and grid page layouts

Source: MorphOS 3.11 Release Notes

Here are screenshots from 2018:
    allegro.pl displayed by Odyssey
  • »09.10.19 - 13:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Thanks @Asiegel, I was just quickly having a look on latest release and some bootstrap 4 sites. Will have a look again.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »10.10.19 - 16:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    It seems that even with spoofing with any of the available options in OWB it cannot access reCAPTCHA verification messages, that are now found, and often imperative to complete before access is allowed and logging on cannot be achieved on ebay and Royal Mail, and probably many other websites, so an improved web-engine &/or JavaScript update for OWB surely cannot happen soon enough.

[ Edited by NewSense 12.11.2019 - 01:42 ]
  • »12.11.19 - 01:27
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    It seems that even with spoofing with any of the available options in OWB it cannot access reCAPTCHA verification messages

Please ensure that "privacy mode" is not enabled if you need to use ReCaptcha.

If you happen to run multiple versions of Odyssey from the same folder, which is not advisable, this option may get enabled again without additional user action.
  • »12.11.19 - 02:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I am not using 'Private Browsing' - though I see it is set - by default - when v3.12 and OWB v1.26 is installed - which seems a bit of an oversight if it's not intended to be used with most websites. Why has the URL field been moved? It would be nice to be able modify the GUI fields to place them wherever suits an individual user, but it seems that's not possible, AFAIK?

I've gone back to using OWB v1.25 for the time being - each version in a separate folder - as I always do, and in any case I'm unimpressed with v1.26, seems like MOS v3.10 déja vu!

What benefits have been added to OWB v1.26 that I could say is a plus/improvement over v1.25? As I can't see any.

I cannot access the ebay site as a member/login, and I cannot track a package that has been sent either to me or by me via the Royal Mail (UK) website - it is impossible to do so with reCAPTCHA being triggered as a security check by those systems - so OWB for ebay and Royal Mail's websites, and it seems likely plenty of other sites, are unuseable for practical purposes - it's a big disappointment for me as I'll have to use my Windows system for almost everything until this issue is fixed - and how long is that going to take?

I had hoped that OWB v1.26 was an improvement, but the MUI text parameters for tab labels and URL address have been affected unnecessarily - via the installation routine, and this issue with reCAPTCHA is ridiculous and should have been addressed, if possible or realised by the Dev Team, and users notified of its subsequent limitations on being able to use OWB in a realistic everyday sense.

Of course I can use it for visiting MorphOS and other sites I like to view, but the limiting effect of reCAPTCHA makes it hardly worth starting up my system as I can't do anything on those sites anymore - until this issue is addressed, but when will it be overcome/fixed?

[ Edited by NewSense 12.11.2019 - 03:43 ]
  • »12.11.19 - 04:01
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Yeah, I think that this reCAPTCHA issue should be investigated. It's getting more and more common... I haven't got it to work lately, it used to work when spoofed as iPad, but even then you had to have several tries with images before it went ahead, but last time I tried I couldn't get it to work at all anymore.
  • »12.11.19 - 07:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I am not using 'Private Browsing' - though I see it is set - by default - when v3.12 and OWB v1.26 is installed - which seems a bit of an oversight if it's not intended to be used with most websites.

Unless I was more or less looking for it, I do not recall ever seeing a recaptcha page when browsing on MorphOS.

Quote:

Why has the URL field been moved?

This and many other changes are explained in the Odyssey section of the MorphOS 3.12 release notes.

Quote:

I've gone back to using OWB v1.25 for the time being - each version in a separate folder - as I always do, and in any case I'm unimpressed with v1.26, seems like MOS v3.10 déja vu!

Once again, please consider reading the releases notes.

Quote:

What benefits have been added to OWB v1.26 that I could say is a plus/improvement over v1.25? As I can't see any.

What benefits are there to belittling the work that went into Odyssey v1.26?

Quote:

it's a big disappointment for me as I'll have to use my Windows system for almost everything until this issue is fixed - and how long is that going to take?

A long time.

Jacek has most recently talked about his plans to write a new browser on MorphZone in July. He made it clear that this would be a long process involving the release of public beta versions just as he has done with Iris. Based on his remarks, nobody should expect a completely new browser to just suddenly appear as part of an OS update.

Quote:

this issue with reCAPTCHA is ridiculous and should have been addressed, if possible or realised by the Dev Team, and users notified of its subsequent limitations on being able to use OWB in a realistic everyday sense.

Well, there is not a single ticket about reCAPTCHA in the MorphOS bugtracker system.

Go figure.
  • »12.11.19 - 07:52
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I am currently targeting mid next year for an initial beta, but don't hold your breath.
  • »12.11.19 - 11:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Yeah, I think that this reCAPTCHA issue should be investigated. It's getting more and more common... I haven't got it to work lately, it used to work when spoofed as iPad, but even then you had to have several tries with images before it went ahead, but last time I tried I couldn't get it to work at all anymore.

Recaptcha gives you a better rating when you are simultaneously logged into Google services. Next time you have to use recaptcha, this might be worth trying out.
  • »12.11.19 - 16:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote: Unless I was more or less looking for it, I do not recall ever seeing a recaptcha page when browsing on MorphOS.

On 27-Sep-2019 - you commented/replied to a Remark-Thread on this forum by Quote:

Daff stated: Some Capchas on various websites are also non-responsive since this week.

That was 27th Sep 2019, so in all likelihood you've seen that comment - seeing as you replied to that specific post! Do you remember it now, André? :-? I mentioned issues with OWB back in February 2019 with relation to ebay, and those issues have only got worse to a point now where I cannot even login - due to the reCAPTCHA issue. :-(

It seems that reCAPTCHA is only to be found on websites that feel it necessary to protect themselves from older browsers with security issues that might breach their systems, or ... just to make it awkward for older browsers to login - thanks to Google as reCAPTCHA is a Google developed system.
    Quote:

NewSense previously wrote: Why has the URL field been moved?

Quote:

ASiegel wrote:This and many other changes are explained in the Odyssey section of the MorphOS 3.12 release notes.

That said, it's not an improvement as you cannot see much of the URL, and it cramps up the navigation area, so you've overlaid the Stop/Reload buttons, so until the page has completed loading you cannot get access to the Reload button as it's blocked by the Stop button, which for me is not an improvement.

I rely on using the Reload function, though I am aware there is a keyboard shortcut (Cmd+R). I need to reload a webpage on ebay as many of those webpages are heavily reliant on JavaScript, and take ages to load, but often part way through loading you can see if all the required features/areas of the page have loaded correctly. Usually it takes 2 loads of the page to get ebay's code to do what it is supposed to do on the initial load. So, I have to reload the page as it part-loads, as I don't want to waste an extensive amount of my time while it takes ages to load - for ebay's code to often get it wrong anyway (it also goes wrong/gets loaded incorrectly on current Windows browsers - so it's not confined to OWB). So the Reload button being blanked by the Stop button is no improvement in the GUI for me.

Are there likely to be more user selectable GUI options in a future release of OWB?
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:Once again, please consider reading the releases notes.

André, don't take this as a personal slur against you - it's not, as I appreciate a lot of effort went into v3.12, but it's like v3.10 as there are drawbacks to it being installed - at least for me.

I had delayed installing it until overnight as I had expected others to point out any issues from date of release to last night, but there have been only very minor issues mentioned.

So, I installed it - but now I wish I had not - it's that bad for me - and I'm sorry to have to say that as I really like using MorphOS, but backward steps are never any good, and this, for me at least, is a backward step.

Why change the MUI font type/style for all GUIs, as it has affected the font used in the tabs even in OWB, and the font for text in FlowStudio/Scribble - which is another annoyance. I've not been through all the windows, programs that I use often or more sporadically, but I feel sure I'll have to change some system issues - that should not have been affected by the installation - but they have, and it's not in a good way. For me, this release is not a shining star in the world of MorphOS.
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote: What benefits are there to belittling the work that went into Odyssey v1.26?

What benefits are there not saying what is wrong with it, when it's a fact, while continuing to use a backward step browser, and not saying that it's worrse than OWB v1.25 - should I just keep my opinion as a MorphOS user to myself, or make a fair assessment of what is worse about it? :-?

I know many hours of work has gone into v3.12, and probably OWB v1.26, but if it was just cosmetics in effect then that's no cause for celebration, it's just worse - and that's what I'm saying. I take no pleasure in saying that, but it is, and that's a fact!
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote: Jacek has most recently talked about his plans to write a new browser on MorphZone in July. He made it clear that this would be a long process involving the release of public beta versions just as he has done with Iris. Based on his remarks, nobody should expect a completely new browser to just suddenly appear as part of an OS update.

I know working on any future real-world improved web-engine/JavaScript based version is going to be a massive project, but it needs to be fast-tracked - as any OS, especially one with only one useable browser, needs to have a useable web-browser or it's not that much use in the real-online world these days, as a web-browser is used for so many online actions, and transactions that a functional one is a must-have for any OS, and that's why this IS a major issue for MorphOS - it needs addressing - as soon as possible!
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote: Well, there is not a single ticket about reCAPTCHA in the MorphOS bugtracker system. Go figure.

That's because it hasn't become a real-world online logging on issue until today, and right now, though I have noticed it before on sites like Manualslib where reCAPTCHA is enabled/inaccessible to OWB and this situation is becoming a widespread matter and should have been anticipated by the Dev Team, and been addressed or commented on to us all as going to restrict any use of such websites with reCAPTCHA enabled.

If there is some way of circumventing this reCAPTCHA system to allow it to work with, even this web-engine/JavaScript core we currently have to live with, then that will have to do for now, but OWB is becoming unuseable, for me it's barely useable in an everyday sense now, and I really hate that situation because I really, really like OWB.

I'm just waiting for Parcel2go's website to enable reCAPTCHA and then that will be yet another 'nail-in-the-coffin' for OWB! If OWB doesn't work as I need it to then why switch a MorphOS system on, to get frustrated by it not doing what you need it to do, bearing in mind we already have to work within some of its inherent known limitations, and ones that you can use it within those weaknesses, but this is a step too far currently.

I will use OWB, but sadly it's going to be more and more infrequently if this issue is not going to get addressed. It's a sad day for me. :-(

[ Edited by NewSense 13.11.2019 - 01:56 ]
  • »12.11.19 - 19:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote: Recaptcha gives you a better rating when you are simultaneously logged into Google services. Next time you have to use recaptcha, this might be worth trying out.

I don't use Google other than as a search engine, as they are, for me, an insidious divisive corporation, affecting everything on the internet, and usually only for their sole financial/corporate benefit, which I don't like encouraging, to enable such institutions to gain an even stronger foothold in the world to monopolise everything they come into contact with.

Have you confirmed whether signing in to Google Services allows access to the sites I have mentioned with OWB?

I doubt it does, as it seems to be an OWB deficiency that is causing this issue, but if it does allow access then please mention that here, and I'll be watching for any such positive comment on OWB being able to use reCAPTCHA successfully. 8-)
  • »12.11.19 - 19:11