Is v3.10 version of OWB (1.24) Compliant with NEW PCI Data S
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Is v3.10 version of OWB (1.24) Compliant with NEW PCI Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) that will come into force on 30th June 2018, which is an imminent date? :-(

I just got a message from PayPal, that they are pulling the plug on OWB (Spoofed as Safari) "PayPal will no longer support outdated web browsers." as it does not meet the requirements that are coming into force, and that I should upgrade to a more modern browser, if I want to be able to use their systems.

What more modern web browser will be available for MorphOS in time for 30th June 2018 to be able to continue to use PayPal after that date? :-?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »19.06.18 - 20:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Using that PayPal Link supplied by ASiegel:

I got the message at the top of that link page.........

"You may need to update your browser: You will not be able to access your PayPal account using an outdated browser after June 30th.

Which didn't seem to be good news. :-(

So I thought there were likely to be problems for us before June 30th, where OWB needed to be fixed ... but then ... I realised André meant to go to half way down that page on the link supplied to Run PayPal Browser TEST - Click here to test your browser.

And the response from that TEST was better news ............ PayPal_Connection_OK. 8-)

Even v1.23 from MorphOS v3.9 seems to pass that test as well ....... which is just great news for me as I predominantly use it, in preference to v1.24, the version that came with MorphOS v3.10, as it has so many limitations, issues, and it cannot even add bold, italic, underline or other typeface/text modifications to these forum pages, unless you type them in manually. :-(

So in more than a few places whoever modified OWB v1.24 for v3.10 has messed it up really badly for us all, IMHO.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »20.06.18 - 01:28
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:

So in more than a few places whoever modified OWB v1.24 for v3.10 has messed it up really badly for us all, IMHO.

Odyssey Web Browser 1.24 was developed and released by Fab in April 2014. You can download that version here.

Any regressions between Odyssey 1.23 and 1.24 also exist in the original version from 2014.

The version included with MorphOS 3.10 does not contain changes that introduced new incompatibilities compared to the 2014 release of 1.24. As you can read in the MorphOS 3.10 release notes, it includes several stability fixes, thanks to the work of Krzysztof "deadwood" Smiechowicz, as well as numerous improvements related to SSL certificates, which prevent quite a few websites from even loading when you use either Odyssey v1.23 or Odyssey v1.24 from 2014.
  • »20.06.18 - 08:44
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    I don't know if we mean the same but I can't use OWB for Paypal. Because when I enter a mail adress it asks me if this is a private or business payment. I slect private payment and after that it tries to load something that never finishes. I can scroll down the page (scroolbar on the right) but the visible content stays the same. It never finishes. After some time Paypal logs me out and that's it. So I can't do any payments with Paypal anymore.
  • »20.06.18 - 11:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Currently, for me at least, since earlier today (07:18hrs 20-June-2018)) I made a successfull payment through PayPal using OWB v1.23 (MorphOS v3.9), so it is working for me.

Which version of OWB are you using specifically? :-?

Also, are you using the option "Send & Request" > "Sending to a friend or to family" / "Paying for an item or service"? :-?
  • »20.06.18 - 17:16
    connor
    The one from MOS 3.10.
  • »20.06.18 - 17:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I can also confirm that v1.23 from MorphOS 3.9 seems to stall at the second point of the PayPal link/box, the data that the link is clicked on seems to be transferred but there is no response back from PayPal, at least, not in a timely fashion. It may be going through some internal checks, but it does not do so as it used to, and maybe this is an issue that needs to be highlighted as it seems to be a problem at the moment, as the last time I used this feature/option it worked OK.
  • »20.06.18 - 17:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    PayPal works OK, unless you're sending money to somebody outside your contact list. A new payment won't work with current OWB.
  • »20.06.18 - 17:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

koszer wrote: PayPal works OK, unless you're sending money to somebody outside your contact list. A new payment won't work with current OWB.

So, this is an issue that needs fixing then, and have you, or do you know if anyone else has, sent in a bug report to the MorphOS Team about this problem/bug?
  • »20.06.18 - 19:57
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Is v3.10 version of OWB (1.24) Compliant with NEW PCI Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) that will come into force on 30th June 2018

OWB is able to access sites that only offer TLS 1.2.

This however doesn't mean that OWB is PCI DSS compliant (it doesn't need to be, PCI DSS compliance only applies to payment systems themselves).

[ Edited by Piru 21.06.2018 - 02:57 ]
  • »21.06.18 - 00:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Piru

OK, OWB offers TLS 1.2 functionality, but is this likely to be extended / improved upon in the near future?

Also, the issue of not being able to access/send payments via PayPal to friends/family members, or to pay for services/goods cannot be accessed and that needs fixing, so have you, or do you know if anyone else has, sent in a bug report, or are the MorphOS Team already looking into this problem/bug, or is a specific bug report required to be sent in for the Development Team to get on with addressing the problem?
  • »21.06.18 - 02:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    @ Piru

OK, OWB offers TLS 1.2 functionality, but is this likely to be extended / improved upon in the near future?

Why would it need to be extended / improved in the near future?

Quote:

Also, the issue of not being able to access/send payments via PayPal to friends/family members, or to pay for services/goods cannot be accessed and that needs fixing, so have you, or do you know if anyone else has, sent in a bug report, or are the MorphOS Team already looking into this problem/bug, or is a specific bug report required to be sent in for the Development Team to get on with addressing the problem?

Reporting a problem is never wrong, even if the ticket would already be present. Clear description of the issue and steps needed to reproduce it make it more likely for the problem to get addressed. However, issues such as paypal payments not working in certain configurations can be extremely difficult to track down. I'm 99.9% sure it's not TLS support, however.
  • »21.06.18 - 08:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Does anyone on the Development Team know what the issue is, or is there an avenue to ask someone at PayPal what the issue would be to be able to resolve this issue for us all when using, and to get the best out of, OWB and MorphOS? :-?

As one limitation of this kind is one limitation too many. :-(
  • »21.06.18 - 18:48
    connor
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    PayPal works OK, unless you're sending money to somebody outside your contact list. A new payment won't work with current OWB.

I tried to create a new contact in POayPal before I wrote here that the direct payment does not work anymore, but creating a new contact also fails (timeout?), so I cannot make any private payments or donations with it.
  • »21.06.18 - 19:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Piru wrote: ...Reporting a problem is never wrong, even if the ticket would already be present.

So, does this require a "ticket" to be sent in to be looked at in depth, to get it fixed for us all, or has there already been a "ticket" received, or will it get looked at, in the way that a "ticket" would, now that this issue has been brought up here in the forum to you, and others who might read/have read it who are on the Development Team?
  • »22.06.18 - 07:02
  • ASiegel
    There is currently no ticket. As Piru wrote, even if there was, there is no harm in submitting another one.

In theory, multiple reports of the same issue (from multiple people!) might motivate a developer to look at something sooner - even if only to close the tickets as "not fixable".
  • »22.06.18 - 09:22
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    MorphOSUser
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Is v3.10 version of OWB (1.24) Compliant with NEW PCI Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) that will come into force on 30th June 2018, which is an imminent date? :-(

I just got a message from PayPal, that they are pulling the plug on OWB (Spoofed as Safari) "PayPal will no longer support outdated web browsers." as it does not meet the requirements that are coming into force, and that I should upgrade to a more modern browser, if I want to be able to use their systems.

What more modern web browser will be available for MorphOS in time for 30th June 2018 to be able to continue to use PayPal after that date? :-?

Have you considered using firefox or chrome?
  • »07.09.18 - 23:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    OK, here's another way to Send Money via PayPal - to Friends & Family, using OWB.

Once you've logged into PayPal, you need to select Send & Request, then choose from the 4 sub-options - the right hand one > More, or choose the lower right hand option Send to friends abroad, if you chose the More option then you will have the option at the top most left hand side of the browser to Send Money Abroad > Send Money, which is the same as the previous page of Send to friends abroad where you can then enter the email/payment details you want to, along with a note to the recipient.

So this PayPal feature is actually still possible, and I know it works as I found the address I sent the money to added to my list of contacts after the payment had been made. So the contact/friend/relative does not actually need to be abroad with this option it works for anyone with an email account who has a PayPal account associated to it. 8-)
  • »06.12.18 - 01:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    *** OWB v1.25 ebay page inaccessible - by usual way (mouse-click) ***

I cannot create a new topic for this matter as I get an error message, as below, when I try to do so:

Error No: 0022
    Error Msg: An error ocurred while querying the database.
    If the page does not automatically reload, please click here

I was just trying to access some pages on ebay, from the Selling page, so I clicked on the Saved Drafts link, and got to the latest incarnation of the ebay page - New Drafts Page, which now has an overlaid area with a "X" close gadget, and a click-on "OK, got it" area, that are not triggered/closed/actioned by doing just that, they change colour as they probably should, but no "spoofing" seems to alter/activate the overlaid area of code to allow the area to close as it should.

I did manage to get past the code by interrogating the code on the page, and by deleting a couple of nodes that seem to hold the code in place, which then removed the overlaid area and thus allowed me to access the main page 'below'.

This seems to be a limitation of OWB v1.25 as supplied with release MorphOS v3.11.

I feel sure there will be other issues I have not yet identified that limit OWB v1.25, but I mention it for other MorphOS users to be aware of, and for the MorphOS Team to be aware of this issue to resolve it. I haven't sent it in as a bug, as I don't suppose it is, but it is certainly a limitation of what OWB v1.25 is capable of as standard, without editing/changing the code of a webpage.

[ Edited by NewSense 20.01.2019 - 15:57 ]
  • »20.01.19 - 16:51