MUI directories
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    I have one doubt in the MorphOS system there are two MUI directories:
    1. System/Classes/MUI
    2. System/Libs/MUI
    Both have the same MUI libs but which is the main directory? And the other I can delete, because when I tryed to update handle the MUI libs for example the pegasos-sigi MUI libraries for his tools always I copyed to System/Libs/MUI but also other problem is with Grunch ask me update some MUI and when I click to it always show me the message impossible update the library when already I have update them, for example with TextEditor.
  • »29.10.18 - 11:50
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Quote:

jPV escribió:
    1. is the correct place. In fact I have never seen MUI directory in Libs on any system ever (not even on real Amiga). Remove it from the Libs.

From the MorphOS.readme:

- Q: Where do I put my 3rd party MUI custom classes?
    A: In SYS:Classes/MUI

Thank you for your help, ufss I have this Libs/MUI in my other Amiga systems, Os3.9 and 4.1, I have this because some time moment an installer copyed the lib of this way and I continue with the problem in every system, MorphOS and the other two, at least I haven't AROS, because I repeat it.
  • »29.10.18 - 19:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have never seen MUI directory in Libs on any system ever
    > (not even on real Amiga).

Libs/MUI/ was where I had the MUI custom classes on OS3.x. And this was the standard location as far as I remember. MorphOS changed this (for the better).
  • »29.10.18 - 23:32
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I have never seen MUI directory in Libs on any system ever
    > (not even on real Amiga).

Libs/MUI/ was where I had the MUI custom classes on OS3.x. And this was the standard location as far as I remember. MorphOS changed this (for the better).

For me it was always MUI:Libs/MUI/, and the MUI: assign pointed to a separate directory elsewhere, and not to the SYS:. I think the installer created the MUI directory automatically. I usually had it in SYS: anyway, but then it was SYS:MUI/Libs/MUI/, and other MUI files definitely haven't been in the SYS: root on the systems I've seen...

[ Edited by jPV 30.10.2018 - 07:05 ]
  • »30.10.18 - 05:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Templario wrote:
    Thank you for your help, ufss I have this Libs/MUI in my other Amiga systems, Os3.9 and 4.1, I have this because some time moment an installer copyed the lib of this way and I continue with the problem in every system, MorphOS and the other two, at least I haven't AROS, because I repeat it.

On my OS4.1FE and OS3.x setups I have them in SYS:MUI/Libs/MUI/, not in SYS:Libs/MUI... but in MorphOS there isn't SYS:MUI/ directory at all where you could copy anything, because MUI is more integrated in the system...
  • »30.10.18 - 05:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Libs/MUI/ was where I had the MUI custom classes on OS3.x.

> For me it was always MUI:Libs/MUI/, and the MUI: assign
    > pointed to a separate directory elsewhere, and not to the SYS:.

I think I had MUI: point to SYS: because I saw no point in an additional MUI directory on SYS:.

> other MUI files definitely haven't been in the SYS: root
    > on the systems I've seen

Which files would this have been anyway? Even with my setup having MUI: point to SYS: directly I can't remember any MUI files residing in the SYS: root.
  • »30.10.18 - 09:45
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > other MUI files definitely haven't been in the SYS: root
    > on the systems I've seen

Which files would this have been anyway? Even with my setup having MUI: point to SYS: directly I can't remember any MUI files residing in the SYS: root.

All of these 53 directories and 395 files seen in the MUI archive: http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/mui38usr ? :) Where do you have those then?

Hmm.. maybe some more ancient MUI had files cluttered somewhere else, but not the latest versions?

These are from the MUI 3.8 installation script:

"All MUI files belong to a single directory called 'MUI'. If there are any MUI files outside this directory (e.g. because they were left over from a previous installation), MUI might not work as expected. It is strongly recommended to delete those files, like suggested by the installation program."

"Please select a place for the MUI package. A drawer called 'MUI' will be created here. The minimum space required is about 500 kB, a complete installation takes 2.5 MB."

And user-startup after MUI 3.8 installation looks like this:
    Code:

;BEGIN MUI
    if exists "Sys:MUI"
    assign MUI: "Sys:MUI"
    if exists MUI:Libs
    assign add LIBS: MUI:Libs
    endif
    if exists MUI:Locale
    assign add LOCALE: MUI:Locale
    endif
    version >nil: exec.library 39
    if not warn
    if exists MUI:Docs
    if exists HELP:dummy ; do not remove
    endif ; this entry!
    assign add HELP: MUI:Docs
    endif
    endif
    endif
    ;END MUI
  • »30.10.18 - 15:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > All of these 53 directories and 395 files seen in the MUI archive:
    > http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/mui38usr ? :)
    > Where do you have those then?

I currently have no access to my old OS3 backup unfortunately. As soon as I have, I will investigate and tell here.
  • »31.10.18 - 12:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> All of these 53 directories and 395 files seen in the MUI archive:
    >> http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/mui38usr ? :)
    >> Where do you have those then?

> I currently have no access to my old OS3 backup unfortunately.
    > As soon as I have, I will investigate and tell here.

Result of investigation is that I remembered correctly that Libs/MUI/ was where I had all the *.mui, *.mcc and *.mcp files on OS3.x. And apparently, my system had neither a MUI: assign nor any more files from the MUI archive than the *.library files in Libs/ and the above-mentioned files in Libs/MUI/. Yet, all MUI programs worked fine.
  • »12.01.19 - 17:17
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> All of these 53 directories and 395 files seen in the MUI archive:
    >> http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/mui38usr ? :)
    >> Where do you have those then?

> I currently have no access to my old OS3 backup unfortunately.
    > As soon as I have, I will investigate and tell here.

Result of investigation is that I remembered correctly that Libs/MUI/ was where I had all the *.mui, *.mcc and *.mcp files on OS3.x. And apparently, my system had neither a MUI: assign nor any more files from the MUI archive than the *.library files in Libs/ and the above-mentioned files in Libs/MUI/. Yet, all MUI programs worked fine.

Ok, so they do work there in the degree that programs start, but the MUI is still crippled with that kind of configuration. You didn't even have the main MUI settings program (to configure global settings) and the PSI program anywhere, which in my opinion were crucial configuration programs for users? I wouldn't say programs would work 100% fine if you aren't able to configure them to different screens with PSI etc... and at least I did like the themes (presets, images, etc) which came with the full installation.
  • »12.01.19 - 18:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the MUI is still crippled with that kind of configuration. You didn't even
    > have the main MUI settings program (to configure global settings)

Yes, I didn't purchase a keyfile so ran it in shareware/demo mode where settings could be changed and used but not saved to survive a reset anyway (yes, I know that this was circumventable by manually copying the settings from ENV: to ENVARC: after change, but that would have been cheating ;-)
  • »12.01.19 - 22:33
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Anyway, the conclusion is that if you want a proper installation, they belong to:

SYS:Classes/MUI on MorphOS

MUI:Libs/MUI/ on AmigaOS (unless you want to keep 3rd party stuff separated from the official classes, then maybe 3rd party classes in Libs:MUI/, but I didn't find any official recommendation for this yet)

[ Edited by jPV 13.01.2019 - 09:41 ]
  • »13.01.19 - 07:32
    Profile Visit Website