FreeCiv Updates ?
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Hello,

one of the most advanced Open Source games is IMHO FreeCiv. Some years ago Sebastian Bauer has done a very good port to AmigaOS with a GUI based on MUI. Later itix has improved it and ported it to MorphOS.
    Since then FreeCiv has improved a lot.

I wonder if there's a capable programmer out there willing to update the MorphOS port based on latest FreeCiv sources ?
    Even though a MUI version would be my favourite, there's also the probably easier to achive possibility to base a MorphOS port on the now also available SDL based Client.

The main problem with the current MorphOS Client is, that most servers require more up2date Client versions.

[ Edited by pOS on 2007/6/3 11:10 ]
  • »02.06.07 - 12:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Another problem is, that it seems the Client is not compatible with MUI4. Don't know however if this is an error in FreeCiv or MUI.
    After starting the game, you can still select your nation and your name. But then Client freezes. Doesn't react on input any more, doesn't refresh window contents when window is resized.

[ Edited by pOS on 2007/6/3 11:20 ]
  • »03.06.07 - 10:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    BSzili
    Thread necro time! Quite some time ago I hinted a Freeciv 2 port, and I recently got a nudge, so here it is. It's currently at version 2.4.4: http://bszili.morphos.me/ports/freeciv2-mos.lha

They released 2.5.0 just a couple of days ago, but I don't think I'm going to update until the next major version is out. Bugfix releases are a pain to follow.
    I couldn't test the gameplay much, I'm not very adept at strategy games.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »20.03.15 - 10:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    I'm having some problems with the UI (playing as a single player vs a few AI players). It seems the game needs (at least here, on my setup) constant clicking on "close" gadget of the console to move on. It looks like that:

1. I order my unit to move
    2. It does nothing
    3. I switch to the console output and click "close" gadget (twice)
    4. The unit finally moves.

Same thing for the "End turn". Heck, the game needs such a trick to even start from the main menu.

Anyone else experienced such a weird behaviour?
  • »21.03.15 - 22:16
    BSzili
    Which console window do you have to close? The one opened by the client or the one opened by the server?
  • »22.03.15 - 06:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Thanks for the port. I have to try it out when I am back from Austria... =)

Btw I tried to resurrect MUI client many years ago when 2.0 was still new. It is hopeless. You would have to maintain MUI GUI weekly to keep it up to date due to many changes and fixes introduced almost daily. It was difficult with 1.x and with 2.x GUI had to be rewritten from scratch.

Besides I think system standard GUI is not aesthetically fitting to games like this...
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »22.03.15 - 08:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    Which console window do you have to close? The one opened by the client or the one opened by the server?

Server.
  • »22.03.15 - 08:58
    BSzili
    This could be the side effect of adding console input support to the server. What happens if you start the server separately, and connect to it?
  • »22.03.15 - 09:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Daytona675x
    @BSzili
    Quote:

I couldn't test the gameplay much, I'm not very adept at strategy games.

:-) Strategy games are not yours and you ported it nevertheless? Then you deserve even more "thanks" for that!
  • »23.03.15 - 09:28
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    I like the programming part, so it's the same deal for me. I just can't playtest it much, beyond moving some units around. Anyway, I identified the problem, the server indeed got stuck on FGets when it was not launched from the shell. Adding a WaitForChar before it seems to have solved the problem. A new version uploaded.
  • »23.03.15 - 13:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Thanx a lot. I really liked to play FreeCiv, especially the MUI version. But it got more and more difficult to find compatible public servers. Now, after years I can play it again :D

General question to all: I found a scaling option for screenshots. Is there also one for the display of the game ? Gfx is quite small on my monitor with native resolution of 2560x1080
  • »24.03.15 - 15:39
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    I haven't seen such an option. You can always play in fullscreen, using a smaller resolution than the native one.
  • »24.03.15 - 15:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    I identified the problem, the server indeed got stuck on FGets when it was not launched from the shell. Adding a WaitForChar before it seems to have solved the problem. A new version uploaded.

Now it works like a charm. Thank you very much!
  • »24.03.15 - 22:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    You can change tileset in FreeCiv to have bigger gfx.

See http://freeciv.wikia.com/wiki/Tilesets
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »26.03.15 - 22:08
  • Visitor
  • Software engineers apply the principles of engineering to the design, development, maintenance, testing, and evaluation of the software and systems that make computers or anything containing software work

Farasat
  • »31.03.15 - 07:59
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    Ok, changed (via GUI) windows size to 2560 x 1080 and activated fullscreen.
    Selected the biggest tileset i could find (96x64 i think). Looks a lot better now :)

Selecting tileset via GUI crashes the app. I have to user -t option from comandline.

sound output is set to sdl, but there is no sound...

keyboard often doesn't work. have to start program seevral times until it works.
  • »01.04.15 - 14:00
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    Tileset selection: This is a general problem with the SDL client, which affects other platforms as well. I'll check out why it doesn't work.

Sound/Music: Works for me(TM).

Keyboard: I fired up a random game, and I was able to type into the initial chat window. Is there any more information on how to reproduce this?
  • »01.04.15 - 15:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    I'm not sure, if it's just the problem in selection in the GUI or the fact, that tileset is changed at runtime...

Keys: yesterday I had no problems with input. I'll have an eye on that , amybe I get a clue, in which situations that happens...

Sound: I have stdsounds directory inside my FreeCiv directory. In FreeCiv sound output is set to "sdl".
    but no sound.
    Other SDL based Games however have working sound output.
  • »02.04.15 - 15:51
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    I'm using the freesounds soundset, because it has more sounds plus menu music. Have you tried that one? I'll check out stdsounds too, but judging from the number of files it's very sparse to say the least.
  • »02.04.15 - 16:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    no, but I'll give it a try !
  • »02.04.15 - 16:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    using the alternative sound set as suggsted by you solves the problem. got sound now :) thnx
  • »03.04.15 - 01:07
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    Neat! I'll make it the default int the next version, along with SDL sound output (which should be default when available, but due to some client bug it isn't..). The default soundset has so few sounds, you are not the first one to think the sound is broken :)

edit: Tileset bug fixed. I left the default sound options intact. They are hardcoded at multiple places, and changing them created some weird desyncs between the GUI and the config files. It's not worth the hassle, they can be changed via the menu any time.

[ Edited by BSzili 03.04.2015 - 09:39 ]
  • »03.04.15 - 05:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Is FreeCiv v2.4.4 supposed to still be working, as I just get a requester to Assign|Mount|Deny, etc., "volume "hs", or should there be a ReadMe file somewhere with the archive? As there doesn't seem to be any documentation with v2.4.4.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »17.12.18 - 06:03