Jalapeno fail generating ISO images
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    I want to make a back up of all my CDs of amiga stuffs, but Jalapeno fails everytime, my procedure is:

Open Jalapeno.
    Burn Files.
    Create an ISO file, from right click menu.
    Select directory and iso name.
    And then the error "Failed generating ISO files!"

I tried with several CDs with same result, any clue?

Thanks.

Update: I tried on a Powermac G5 and Powerbook G4, both with MorphOS 3.11, with same procedure/error.

[ Edited by kickstart 03.12.2018 - 18:31 ]
  • »03.12.18 - 18:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Forgot to set temorary path?
    In case of very big ISO-files (>2GB): Be care that your filesystem can handle such files! (SFS does not!)
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »04.12.18 - 13:54
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    If you want 1:1 copies of your CDs, you shouldn't try to create a new ISO image from filesystem level (the "Burn Files" option does that, and that's why you have to enter a new name etc, because it won't be exact copy of a CD). It would be same to copy files from a CD to a directory on HD to backup files then.

You probably want to get a raw copy of the CD as an (ISO) image which preserves everything as on the original CD. To achieve this on Jalapeno you should select "Copy Tracks" and then "Save As..." from the pull-down menu to save an image file of the CD. It seems that Jalapeno creates .rcd (readcd?) image, which doesn't seem to be an ISO image... I guess it'll be fine to have a backup which can be burned back to a CD, but disadvantage is that you can't mount it to have easy access to stuff inside the image, like you could do with an ISO image.

I've still been using MakeCD to create standard ISO images on MorphOS, and there must be several other ways and programs too. Basically copying CD image from RAWDISK: device should also create an ISO image, but for some reason it shows a file of 0 bytes here for a CD now... hmm....
  • »04.12.18 - 17:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Started to look at the readcd program Jalapeno uses... it can be used to create standard ISO images too. Jalapeno uses options that probably include more deeper data of the CD in its .rcd image.

To create a simple ISO compatible image with readcd:
    1) Find your CD drive device by typing this in the shell: mossys:data/jalapeno/readcd -scanbus
    2) Create an ISO image of a CD by typing this in the shell (replace "1,1,0" to what you saw in the previous step, and image path to what you want of course): mossys:data/jalapeno/readcd -dev 1,1,0 f=ram:image.iso
  • »04.12.18 - 17:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    @Amigaharry2

I have set a temporary path and images are from Aminet CDs so 600/700Mb images.

@jPV

I tried with MakeCD too but freezes (like most classic apps that I try). Ill try Jalapeno again with your instructions, thank you.
  • »04.12.18 - 20:18
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I think you’ve misunderstood the purpose of this feature in Jalapeno. It lets one write an ISO file from the files and directories dropped onto the list. It does not copy an existing disc.
  • »05.12.18 - 09:00
    Profile Visit Website