Getting AamigaWriter to work with MorphOS
  • Just looking around
    CmdrCain
    Hi everybody!

I just reinstalled MorphOS 3.11 and would love to know if I can get AmigaWriter, an m68k program, to install on my system. I tried installing and I get a message box that the program can't run. So is there any trick? I tried the same thing with email clients but couldn't get those to run. They installeed, but didn't execute. Iris, however, works perfectly for email.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to replace my main system with MorphOS. Closest I can get to an Amiga laptop.

I'll post other questions on other forum topics, like the net printer. (It's an HP OfficeJet Pro 6860)

Cheers!
    Only Amiga makes it possible!!
  • »14.08.18 - 23:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > would love to know if I can get AmigaWriter, an m68k program, to install on my system.

There's an older thread that might be of help:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9508&forum=9

> I tried the same thing with email clients but couldn't get those to run.

YAM and SimpleMail have MorphOS versions that should run.
  • »14.08.18 - 23:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    PageStream generally works OK. I use PageStream 4.1.5.6 Pro with MorphOS, and even though it utilises Trance (68k emulation) it usually runs quite stably.

Anyway, Folio (Beta version) is worthy of trying out, but make sure you have in OWB preferences the option under "Privacy > "Enable Local Storage" enabled or you'll just see a blank page, but it saves files as PDFs for easy portability to other OS's, and it does offer other saving options, but sometimes it saves them incorrectly it seems. Folio issues - Sergius reported to André Siegel, so André is aware of this issue, but had a SSD failure with at least some of the program code on it, so don't expect an update that soon, sadly.

There was supposed to be a re-release/port/update of Final Writer in the works, but I haven't heard that it's been completed and released as yet.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »15.08.18 - 06:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    AmigaWriter works here.
    IIRC I just had to copy the Helvetica.font from a standard Workbench installation onto MorphOS.

Manfred
  • »15.08.18 - 07:18
  • Just looking around
    CmdrCain
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > would love to know if I can get AmigaWriter, an m68k program, to install on my system.

There's an older thread that might be of help:
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9508&forum=9

Thank you! I was able to get it installed, and am now installing the fonts needed to get it to run. I rarely use databases for anything but development these days, and for that I have a trust Windows box. A few games installed and I should be all set!

Quote:

> I tried the same thing with email clients but couldn't get those to run.

YAM and SimpleMail have MorphOS versions that should run.

I like Iris from what I've seen of it so far. That may change over time, though.
    Only Amiga makes it possible!!
  • »09.09.18 - 01:16