How to install Amiga Writer 2 on MOS 3.2?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I've bought myself a copy of this word processor when I read that it works on MOS. But the CD refuses to install. Nothing happens when I click on the installation button.

I looked for an answer, and found a suggestion to use the Installer in Sys:Tools. I choose the "Amigawriter Install-script" and something happens. I get as far as to choose where to install, but then an error appear. There seems to be a problem with the command "copyfiles".

Well, this is as far as I get. I need your help now :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »02.09.13 - 23:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    You probably need to copy the 68k installer from 3.x to C: and change the tool type to use that one.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »03.09.13 - 00:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    68k installer, as in original workbench 3.x?

I have read on other places that people have been able to sucessfully install this software. Are they doing it manually maybe?

My MorphOS blog
  • »03.09.13 - 00:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    This one.

http://m68k.aminet.net/package/util/misc/Installer-43_3

I've never installed Amiga Writer on MOS but lots of 68k installer scripts are borked and refuse to work with anything but this Installer or v44 from 3.9.

[ Edited by Intuition 03.09.2013 - 10:53 ]
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »03.09.13 - 10:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Yasu schrieb:
    68k installer, as in original workbench 3.x?

I have read on other places that people have been able to sucessfully install this software. Are they doing it manually maybe?

I just copied the AW drawer from an old 68k drive to install it on MorphOS. IIRC that was all. If you happen to have UAE somewhere, just install it there and copy the drawer to your MorphOS drive. Should work out of the box then.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »03.09.13 - 13:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I will try to use the 68k installer first. Then I will try UAE. but I have never installed Workbench in emulation. Is there a good manual out there how to install under MorphOS?

My MorphOS blog
  • »03.09.13 - 16:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    [EDIT]

I finally found a pre-setting in Amiga Forever that had 15 gig of DH0 space and I was thus able to install. I installed the program to an external HDD. Then I copied it to my desired place, assigned amigawriter: to there. Then I also had to copy the original WB 3.x fonts to amigawriter:fonts. Then, it finally worked!

:-D

One last question: is there any way to save an AW document to PDF? Or at least something other programs like Open Office or Google Docs can read?

[ Edited by Yasu 04.09.2013 - 00:22 ]

My MorphOS blog
  • »03.09.13 - 22:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    I installed Amiga Writer simply copying Mossys:C/Install and Installer commands in Sys:C. Double click on the Install icon inside AW CD and all done.
    Amiga Writer is a really well done word processor and it's pity it's lost in time... Well, no options about exporting pdf files or what else but only ASCII format and RTF. Google Docs recognizes the RTF format and loaded document without any issue. No images are saved with AW. It's possible to load RTF files with Scriba and Cinnamon Writer too, though only Scriba allows to export your files in PDF format.
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »04.09.13 - 14:35
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    @Jpv:
    well... ehm.. I copied both just to be sure, I confess..

I checked again and I have to correct myself: Scriba and Cinnamon Writer only load ascii files. So Google Docs it's the only one that can perform it.
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »04.09.13 - 18:55
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Yes, RTF seems to work even though it's not at all perfect. But it does make AW a little more useful for me. But sadly, without a way to save documents in a format other computers can understand there is little point of buying this unless you have a working printer in MOS. At least it was cheap :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »05.09.13 - 11:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Jambalah wrote:

I checked again and I have to correct myself: Scriba and Cinnamon Writer only load ascii files. So Google Docs it's the only one that can perform it.

Hum... Scriba is supposed to load OpenDocument, RTF and OpenXML files. And it's supposed to save in EPS, PDF, SVG, PNG, AmigaGuide, ODT, HTML5 and PPM formats... Haven't made much tests myself in that regard though..
  • »05.09.13 - 14:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    CmdrCain
    Quote:

Jambalah wrote:
    I installed Amiga Writer simply copying Mossys:C/Install and Installer commands in Sys:C. Double click on the Install icon inside AW CD and all done.
    Amiga Writer is a really well done word processor and it's pity it's lost in time... Well, no options about exporting pdf files or what else but only ASCII format and RTF. Google Docs recognizes the RTF format and loaded document without any issue. No images are saved with AW. It's possible to load RTF files with Scriba and Cinnamon Writer too, though only Scriba allows to export your files in PDF format.

This may be a tad late, but thank you! I was finally able to get AmigaWriter to install on a neo-Amiga (MorphOS 3.11 runing on an Apple PowerBook G4). Now to find the Helvetica font so it can run. :)
    Only Amiga makes it possible!!
  • »09.09.18 - 01:08