G5 2.7 no longer has thermal issues! Whisper quiet!!
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    I applied some Arctic MX-4 thermal compound to my Panasonic LCS (thanks doffo!!) and updated from MorphOS 3.8 to 3.11, and now my CPU thermal is stable at 86C! This seems to be the set point because the fans are only spinning to maintain this temp. This G5 is now whisper quiet! It seems between the new, proper thermal compound and MorphOS shutting down the unused CPU, it has 100% done the trick!

I'm quiet happy. I was previously getting runaway thermals that would run over 100C with fans at full speed. I wasn't going to run at these temps so the 2.7 was shelved in favor of my air cooled 2.3. I'm quite happy to have the 2.7 back full time.

The moral of this story? Use Arctic MX-4 on your G5. It is very sensitive to the compound used. Also get a Panasonic LCS if you can.
  • »03.09.18 - 00:25
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Yep, Arctic MX-4 has done my 2 x 2,3 GHz G5 also very good. :-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »03.09.18 - 22:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    I guess a higher density compound is preffered as the heatsink contacts the CPU die directly and probably isn't as tight as it could be with IHS.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »03.09.18 - 23:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Korni schrieb:
    I guess a higher density compound is preffered as the heatsink contacts the CPU die directly and probably isn't as tight as it could be with IHS.

Hmm, interesting thought... What would you recommend?
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »05.09.18 - 18:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    Quote:

Korni schrieb:

Hmm, interesting thought... What would you recommend?

MX-4 is a higher density one, so you should look for something similar. I use Arctic MX-2 and SPC PT-2, PT-2 is higher density but probably not any better than MX-4 and available only in Poland.

Also, when it comes to MorphOS hw I only repasted my Powerbooks with PT-2, not tight at all and needed quite a lot of the paste, esp. for GPU. So, my guess for Powermac G5 is just a guess :).
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »05.09.18 - 19:26
    Profile Visit Website