Facebook page claims Phase 5 is back
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

rob wrote:

I don't think it's fair to put them in the same category as this "Phase5". They did at least sell computers and went to the effort of getting a load of ITX compatible C64 cases stamped and had custom keyboards made to go with them.

Bingo. People may not have wanting their product, and Barry may have rubbed some people wrong, but it was no scam. Anyone suggesting CUSA was a scam needs their head checked.
  • »21.08.18 - 21:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > They abused [...] CBM

There was no CBM to abuse at that point.

> CommodoreOS [...] wasnt working

Care to elaborate?
  • »21.08.18 - 22:24
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > They abused [...] CBM

There was no CBM to abuse at that point.

> CommodoreOS [...] wasnt working

Care to elaborate?

Try it. No update servers fixed, no links to exitsing Mint 11 servers to update.
    Often eats away RDB instead of implementing LILO, effectivly wiping the acess to Windows
    and requiring LILO manual reinstall. And other bugs. Slow, too bloated KDE-version, too much Mac style eyecandy etc. Never went out of beta.

Its as new Linux as my Ubuntu 12 x1000 CD, even worse. x1000 one was quite nice LTS that would just wipe out OS4 during standard install and crash not to boot if upgraded to a bit newer one.

Look, CUSA abused CBM and Amiga history, presenting like they are real comeback,not an LCC.
    More about it https://anticusa.wordpress.com/with-cusa-anything-can-be-amiga/

Its differend kind of scam, yet scam. Liar is a liar. Faker is a faker.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »22.08.18 - 07:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> CommodoreOS [...] wasnt working

>> Care to elaborate?

> No update servers fixed, no links to exitsing Mint 11 servers to update. Often
    > eats away RDB instead of implementing LILO, effectivly wiping the acess to
    > Windows and requiring LILO manual reinstall. And other bugs. Slow, too
    > bloated KDE-version, too much Mac style eyecandy etc. Never went out of beta.

Okay, so it actually was working.

>>> They abused [...] CBM

>> There was no CBM to abuse at that point.

> CUSA abused CBM [...] history

This correction makes it slightly less nonsense, yes ;-)

> presenting like they are real comeback,not an LCC

LCC?
  • »22.08.18 - 20:31
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

> No update servers fixed, no links to exitsing Mint 11 servers to update. Often
    > eats away RDB instead of implementing LILO, effectivly wiping the acess to
    > Windows and requiring LILO manual reinstall. And other bugs. Slow, too
    > bloated KDE-version, too much Mac style eyecandy etc. Never went out of beta.

Okay, so it actually was working.

Instalable,but badly working, badly execeted and moded old Mint.

>>> They abused [...] CBM

>> There was no CBM to abuse at that point.

> CUSA abused CBM [...] history

This correction makes it slightly less nonsense, yes ;-)

That is what I ment.

> presenting like they are real comeback,not an LCC

LCC?

Limited Liablity Corporation, LLC, my bad. They tried to present themselves like
    real CBM comeback not a name licensee.
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »23.08.18 - 11:54
  • vox
    vox
    I am sure everyone here is aware of new "Phase 5" aka Phake 5.

News is there is official resistance Amiga group - Amiga Crime Scene

Amiga Crime Scene

They have made a new" Phase 5 Tribute) video, spread it
    Phake 5 No Grounds For Complaint

Expected pricetag, if Phake 5 produces anything

[ Edited by vox 04.09.2018 - 19:15 ]
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »04.09.18 - 18:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > News is there is official resistance Amiga group - Amiga Crime Scene [...]
    > They have made a new" Phase 5 Tribute) video [...]

Old news, see comments #43 and #45.
  • »05.09.18 - 00:21
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

rob wrote:

I don't think it's fair to put them in the same category as this "Phase5". They did at least sell computers and went to the effort of getting a load of ITX compatible C64 cases stamped and had custom keyboards made to go with them.

Bingo. People may not have wanting their product, and Barry may have rubbed some people wrong, but it was no scam. Anyone suggesting CUSA was a scam needs their head checked.

Red and I both had long discussions with Barry. I think Jim even visited him in person.
    He was NOT a scam artist, he was an enthusiast who wanted to revive both the Commodore and Amiga names.
    His PC based C64 is a collector's item (and it has a really NICE quality keyboard).
    I believe that if he had lived long enough, we would have seen Aeon based models for OS4 and MorphOS, PC models for AROS, and we'd have models carrying the Amiga name, not just AmigaOne.

He WAS serious.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »05.09.18 - 15:58
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Red and I both had long discussions with Barry. I think Jim even visited him in person.
    He was NOT a scam artist, he was an enthusiast who wanted to revive both the Commodore and Amiga names.
    His PC based C64 is a collector's item (and it has a really NICE quality keyboard).
    I believe that if he had lived long enough, we would have seen Aeon based models for OS4 and MorphOS, PC models for AROS, and we'd have models carrying the Amiga name, not just AmigaOne.

He WAS serious.

I did indeed meet him in person once as he was local to me. Dammy came over the same day as it was only a couple hour drive for him. When people first started posting about CUSA on Amiga.org I had the same initial knee-jerk reaction as most, I mocked it. There was just too much history of spoof/scam companies. Barry initially joined AO and blasted back, but then offered to have me come over to his house and see for myself. I took up the invitation. After that meeting I exchanged emails a couple times.

He had a couple systems that were clearly just rebranded all in one PCs, such as the new Vic. The 64x barebones prototype was there and I was able to check it out first hand. It looked very good. At first glance it looks exactly like a C64. It looks so good that to this day tech articles referencing the original C64 often mistakenly show a 64x picture. The keyboard was quite nice too.

He also showed us his email server. There were literally 10s of thousands of positive emails after his media news blitzed happened. He told of about 2 deals in the works. One deal came true, the advertisement in the Tron Bluray. The other never did, distribution at Best Buy. Dammy left that meeting much more positive than me, he was excited. I left neutral but content that it was certainly no scam.

He was trying. I think he made a number of missteps along the way and I told him so. Mainly I think he really botched the 64x launch badly for a good number of reasons. But, he had real product that was actually shipped as advertised.

[ Edited by redrumloa 05.09.2018 - 11:53 ]
  • »05.09.18 - 16:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Fernandez Gomez [...] is CEO of a company called Amiga Technologies UG

Meanwhile with "website":

http://www.amigatech.de
  • »08.04.19 - 16:16
    KennyR
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

He WAS serious.

It was only a small number very noisy spammers spreading FUD through the forums - particularly two particular morons - who believed it was a scam, and they succeeded in making enough other people think it might be a scam too. Everyone knows which two I'm talking about.

[ Edited by KennyR 08.04.2019 - 22:39 ]
  • »08.04.19 - 22:37
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    number6
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

He WAS serious.

It was only a small number very noisy spammers spreading FUD through the forums - particularly two particular morons - who believed it was a scam, and they succeeded in making enough other people think it might be a scam too. Everyone knows which two I'm talking about.

The mainstream PR was magnificent, despite everyone making fun of it.
    It caught the attention of old respected amiga companies...
    Oh well.

• »08.04.19 - 22:49
    Kronos
    Quote:

KennyR wrote:

He started out by hijacking brands and making outrageous claims so he pretty much got what he asked for.

As for the product, sure the HW might have had it's appeal, but the SW was just a rather crappy deadend Linux distro and I don't remember anything in his "PR" suggesting how it would have turned interesting for C64 or Amiga fans/users.
  • »09.04.19 - 08:48
    Kronos
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

There was a short period when CUSA openly embraced AROS:

Yeah,sowhat....

There are and were some dedicated AROS computers, but all were/are pointless as one could use just dumpster dived HW...

So in the end "supporting" AROS wasn't really anymore than preinstalling VICE was for supporting 8Bit C=.
  • »09.04.19 - 12:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> I don't remember anything in his "PR" suggesting how it
    >>> would have turned interesting for [...] Amiga fans/users.

>> There was a short period when CUSA openly embraced AROS:

> Yeah,sowhat....

It shows that there was CUSA "PR" suggesting that CUSA products could have turned interesting for Amiga fans/users (as long as AROS isn't denied being "Amiga"), at least no less interesting than any AresOne or iMica.

> dedicated AROS computers [...] were/are pointless as one
    > could use just dumpster dived HW...

There have been Amiga fans/users who preferred buying a complete and AROS-supported AresOne or iMica system to dumpster diving. These would have been the primary audience for CUSA systems with pre-installed AROS. In addition, some took "supporting the AROS open source community in every way possible" to imply the intent to pay developers for developing drivers for components of future CUSA hardware, if I'm not mistaken.
  • »09.04.19 - 13:56
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Yeah,sowhat....

There are and were some dedicated AROS computers, but all were/are pointless as one could use just dumpster dived HW...

So in the end "supporting" AROS wasn't really anymore than preinstalling VICE was for supporting 8Bit C=.

Actually, the keyboards Barry was using were quite nice.
    And we're all talking about an X64 transition.
    CUSA systems would have provide a nice base for this.

As it is now, there is no clear holder or licensee of the Amiga name that can brand computers, generic or otherwise.
    And the best we can do is "AmigaOne".

My own take, if the assets were available and I had the funds to purchase them.
    New systems, based on Power9 (and later), running Amigoid OS' and Linux (and even X64 apps virtually).

The only problem I had with CUSA was its commodity hardware based systems. I still think we need to differentiate ourselves.
  • »09.04.19 - 20:30
    Kronos
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

If MorphOS-X86 ever comes to pass something like a C64 or Amiga500 would be dead last when it comes to possible/sensible HW-choices.
  • »09.04.19 - 20:37
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

If MorphOS-X86 ever comes to pass something like a C64 or Amiga500 would be dead last when it comes to possible/sensible HW-choices.

ActuallY, as an A1200 fan, I kind of like the cases Barry was showing that used a similar form factor. Yeah, its not as practical as a small desktop case with a seperate keyboard (like a good mini ITX system), but I found it appealing.

And running MorphOS on a CX64X? Well it would confuse the purists anyway. And like I said, the keyboard was superb.

As to MorphOS-X86 (X64...NG...whatever), I still prefer PPCs or Power9 (since only a few of you supported an ARM shift).
  • »09.04.19 - 20:44
    Kronos
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

As to MorphOS-X86 (X64...NG...whatever), I still prefer PPCs or Power9 (since only a few of you supported an ARM shift).

While that might be competive at the high end I just don‘t see proper laptops or small desktops coming in PPC, so I rather go X64.
  • »09.04.19 - 21:16
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:

While that might be competive at the high end I just don‘t see proper laptops or small desktops coming in PPC, so I rather go X64.

We'll haved to see how the first five T2080 prototype laptops turn out in order to see how 'proper'/competitive these are.
    But at since the clock speed is 133MHz faster than our best PowerBooks, and they have the capability of running 8 times as many threads, they should be interesting, even if they only ever see use under Linux.

Power9 laptops? Probably unlikely. IBM no longer owns its own foundaries, and the process it is using for these CPUs isn't nearly as fine as what AMD is using. Low power Power9 cpus do not appear to be on the horizon. Then again, who knows what the future holds if these cpus gain traction.

And I like Power9 for its compatibility. X64 will never be able to run our PPC apps nearly as well. While Power9 should be fairly capable of emulating X64.

Further, developing an NG version of MorphOS starting with our supported 64 bit systems, the PowerMac G5 and the X5000, and then adding Power9 support would be a more 'organic' or linear direction than the jump to a completely unrelated ISA.

Finally, as the X64 version of MorphOS will only support a limited selection of X64 hardware, we are all likely to have to buy new hardware regardless of what platform we migrate to.

I'd rather that platform be distinct from other generic PCs.

[ Edited by Jim 09.04.2019 - 16:37 ]
  • »09.04.19 - 21:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > As it is now, there is no clear holder or licensee of the Amiga name
    > that can brand computers, generic or otherwise.

"Amiga" trademark licensee Cloanto can. They'd just be restricted in terms of pre-installed OS.
  • »09.04.19 - 22:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > We'll haved to see how the first five T2080 prototype laptops turn out
    > in order to see how 'proper'/competitive these are.

There are benchmark results for T2080-based boards like the T2080RDB or the T2080QDS. There's no way it can be performance-competetive with current or even future x86-64 laptop offerings, which isn't surprising in the slightest considering the age of the SoC and e6500 core.

> the process it is using for these CPUs isn't nearly as fine as what AMD is using.

Isn't 14nm nearly as fine as 12nm? :-)
  • »09.04.19 - 23:05
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    >> We'll haved to see how the first five T2080 prototype laptops turn out
    >> in order to see how 'proper'/competitive these are.

>There are benchmark results for T2080-based boards like the T2080RDB or the T2080QDS. There's no way it >can be performance-competetive with current or even future x86-64 laptop offerings, which isn't >surprising in the slightest considering the age of the SoC and e6500 core.

If its about as powerful as an older ARM Based Chromebook (like Samsung's original product), I'd be happy.
    And it should be a match for the X5000, more powerful if SMP is factored in.

>> the process it is using for these CPUs isn't nearly as fine as what AMD is using.

>Isn't 14nm nearly as fine as 12nm? :-)

Yes, but its not 7nm (which they will be shifting to soon). ;-)

And the real point?
    At about $100 more (for the Soc), a T2080 based device may not be competitive with even a low end X64 (Atom, etc), but it will walk all over a P1022 based device and will be competitive with both the X1000 and X5000.

Kronos' point of of how valid or worthwhile a PPC laptop maybe is a matter of perspective. I think this would be a nice jump from our current laptops.
    It would be 64bit, support SMP, and like the PowerMac G5 and X5000 could form the core of a hardware base we could start development of MorphOS NG on.

After all, we don't need high end X64 power, in the G5 and the X5000 we already have more than enough power to run our OS and its software.
  • »10.04.19 - 15:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Yeah,sowhat....

Most buyers just selected the Windows option. The so called "CommodoreOS" never got past a curiosity.
  • »10.04.19 - 16:15