Demoing MorphOS tomorrow, have a couple questions
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Short turn around here, but a couple questions if anyone is awake. I am demoing my G5 tomorrow at a local retro club. Here are a couple questions.

1) I have a fresh 3.11 install and would like to install the last Pack Chrysalis. Unfortunately it does not like the version number and gives an error that I need MorphOS installed. Is there a way to force it?

2) Any recomendations of what to demo? I'll show OWB but it will be limited, no internet in the clubhouse ATM I don't think. I'll show Payback and maybe a few other actual Amiga programs, but any other ideas would be appreciated.

This is a diverse club with many interests, mainly really old. But a good number of them appreciate the original Amiga and are not tainted by the Kommunity wars. I expect at least a couple get interested in morphOS.
  • »07.07.18 - 02:57
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Just go through all apps, tools, and utils included in MorphOS by default. It is impressive amount of software alone. And then show Ambient features and MIME settings, screenbar modules and their settings, system settings, MUI features, etc. There is a lot to look at for people who aren't familiar with MorphOS and this presentation already takes easily over an hour in my experience. It would be better if you could arrange a proper presentation for bigger bunch of people at once rather than just trying to present it quickly for single visitors.

[ Edited by jPV 07.07.2018 - 07:04 ]
  • »07.07.18 - 03:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    . . . . . . . and don't forget to consider adding into your system jPV's nice programs

- RNOInfoScreenv1.6 *NEW* - for use with several MorphOS Music players
    - RNOComics v1.2 - Comic and image Reader/viewer
    - RNOWidgets v1.3 - Weather, Photos, Analogue + Digital Clocks, Logo, Note, Alarms, Events, RSS for Aminet, etc.
    - RNOAnim v1.2 - editing/separating/playing GIF, PNG, and AVI animations.

I know jPV doesn't like to sing his own praises, but these are nifty little programs, and worthy of adding into the 'mix' IMHO. 8-)
    . . . . and they hadn't been added into that Chrysalis pack at the time, AFAIK.

Oh! and I almost forgot to mention the Browser embedded Office software that is of Folio - Beta 1.0

[ Edited by NewSense 07.07.2018 - 06:11 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »07.07.18 - 05:05
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Oh! and I almost forgot to mention the Browser embedded Office software that is of Folio - Beta 1.0

A very nice solution found! Could Follio be cross-ported to AROS/OS4/even AOS 68k?

What are the MOS users experience? Together with Gmail Logger for included updated Odyssey I love the way simple and efficient solutions are found to major problems (unlike OS4 camp situation).
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »12.07.18 - 21:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Could Follio be cross-ported to [...] AOS 68k?

Folio is based on TinyMCE and thus requires a browser with a certain level of JavaScript support. I'm not sure any currently existing m68k browser can provide this.
  • »13.07.18 - 00:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I tried to use Folio with MorphOS v3.11 and OWB v1.25, and even v1.23 and now it seems it loads a blank page, but there are no icons, or workspace, etc., just a blank page where Folio says it is, but it doesn't seem to working as it was for me.

Anyone else tried Folio recently? Just interested to know if it's currently broken, or just my system is acting up? :-?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »13.07.18 - 06:11
  • ASiegel
    @NewSense

Do you allow Javascript to open new windows?

It works for me with 1.25. In fact, version 1.25 of Odyssey includes changes specifically added for use by future versions of Folio.
  • »13.07.18 - 06:40
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    dekanyz
    > ...show Ambient features...

My experience is, that the easiest way to make MorphOS frozed like ice is to dig in Ambient settings...
    Maybe not the best advertising to make it frozen. ;)
  • »13.07.18 - 09:16
  • ASiegel
    @dekanzy

If you are aware of how to reproduce bugs in Ambient, please report them using the bug report tool in MorphOS.
  • »13.07.18 - 10:19
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

dekanyz wrote:

My experience is, that the easiest way to make MorphOS frozed like ice is to dig in Ambient settings...

Oh, haven't noticed that myself, but I rather meant that show how you actually use Ambient, and not just configuring. Show different view modes, filetype based context menus, inline editing, pattern renaming, icon scaling, finding files by typing, archive/ISO browsing, etc. Like I've presented here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIg27n6hQPM&index=8&list=PL01BC33D30BAE337F
    It's pretty cool for people who aren't familiar with any version of MorphOS, and have only used plain Workbench or similar.

Of course settings are cool to show too, but not necessarily take all in use if that's a problem :) I've had stability problems earlier with the MorphOS system prefs, especially with changing fonts and skins, but that seems to be fixed nowadays.

Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I tried to use Folio with MorphOS v3.11 and OWB v1.25, and even v1.23 and now it seems it loads a blank page, but there are no icons, or workspace, etc., just a blank page where Folio says it is, but it doesn't seem to working as it was for me.

Anyone else tried Folio recently? Just interested to know if it's currently broken, or just my system is acting up? :-?

Folio works fine for me still. Do you have latest available version of Folio installed?
  • »13.07.18 - 10:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

dekanyz wrote:

Oh, haven't noticed that myself, but I rather meant that show how you actually use Ambient, and not just configuring. Show different view modes, filetype based context menus, inline editing, pattern renaming, icon scaling, finding files by typing, archive/ISO browsing, etc. Like I've presented here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIg27n6hQPM&index=8&list=PL01BC33D30BAE337F
    It's pretty cool for people who aren't familiar with any version of MorphOS, and have only used plain Workbench or similar.

One of my favorite cool Ambient features is how it handles duplicate files. If you try to copy a file to a destination where a file with the same name already exists, Ambient automatically shows you the CRC32 of each, so you can really get a good sense of whether it's the same file :) I have bragged about this to friends... this is a feature that would only exist in an operating system that assumes its users are not scared of computers. ;)

Now, if there were an Ambient wish-list thread, I can think of two things I would contribute right away... :D
  • »14.07.18 - 14:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote: Do you allow Javascript to open new windows?

Yes, I have the default settings enabled for JavaScript, but I only get a blank page when I launch Folio, it opens a Folio window, then a second window, one closes, but the Folio page that remains open is "blank", as I stated above.
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote: It works for me with 1.25. In fact, version 1.25 of Odyssey includes changes specifically added for use by future versions of Folio.

That's great news, but only if it works, which for me at the moment it doesn't.

I cannot figure out what has changed as my installation to v3.11 was directly from the MorphOS v3.11 CD. :-?

Unless the RegisterISO v1.2 file which I used to inject my keyfile onto the disc with might have affected/changed/modified some of the files on the disc in some way.

I just don't know what else it could be, but I have to wait for about 5 to 6 minutes for OWB v1.25 to set itself up as it stalls most of the whole system while it loads up. I have sent in a bug report about this, but I've not had a reply back from the Team as yet.
  • »14.07.18 - 18:00
  • ASiegel
    @ NewSense

After the fonts have been initialized, which happens rarely, Odyssey should start up pretty much instantly.

You could try to boot from CD, start Odyssey from MorphOSBoot:Applications/OWB (i.e. from the CD) and then start Folio from your harddisk. What happens?
  • »14.07.18 - 18:24
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

uchar wrote:
    Now, if there were an Ambient wish-list thread, I can think of two things I would contribute right away... :D

Feel free to create a new discussion thread about it. There is nothing wrong with expressing ideas on how to improve MorphOS / Ambient.
  • »14.07.18 - 18:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote: After the fonts have been initialized, which happens rarely, Odyssey should start up pretty much instantly.

That's what I expected to happen, but right from the first time I used it after installation from the disc, and adjusting the preferences as they have been on v1.23 and v1.24, and swapping the empty bookmarks file with my own bookmarks list from v1.23, which I have done from one installation to the next, I had to wait about 5 to 6 minutes for OWB to release the best part of being able to use any my MorphOS "system:", like opening a partition or directory, and I couldn't access any website until the HDD activity had completed. The CPU activity did not seem high, just HDD.

As I've said I sent a "bug report" in, but I've not had a reply about it as yet.

I didn't do anything to affect the installation from the disc, if that's even possible, to carry out an Update Installation.

Having said that, I am typing this message from OWB v1.25 loaded from the MorphOSBoot disc, and I wanted the correct phrase for the "Update Installation", so I clicked on "Installation", to get that from the Installer/First Flight, and after a few seconds I got an error requester, once it had loaded the next Installation page, and the pop-up error requester said, something like, "Please insert volume ijh" - which I don't have, and I have to say that was a bit weird, so I chose "Deny" for that action. Then I got a second requester of another weirdly named volume to insert, which again I don't have, so again that was denied, and then the First Flight 2nd Installation page - with the blue checked parachute/boxes in the upper section, and the options New Installation / Update Installation were offered. I cancelled all that, seeing as I had found the phrase I was after - "Update Installation"
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote: You could try to boot from CD, start Odyssey from MorphOSBoot:Applications/OWB (i.e. from the CD) and then start Folio from your harddisk. What happens?

Folio starts as it did before when I had v3.9 running, but I don't think I tried to use Folio anytime after I had installed v3.10.

I think I may have done my v3.10 installation with a MorphOSBoot disc that had my keyfile injected with RegisterISO v1.1 - which I subsequently found out was affecting the disc in some way when the utility ran its processes. I cannot think that my current MorphOSBoot disc, that has my keyfile injected using RegisterISO v1.2 has affected my current v3.11 Installation of MorphOS, but I cannot know for sure if it has, I suppose.

UPDATE: I have copied the OWB directory directly from the v3.11 MorphOSBoot disc over my installed OWB v1.25 from the v3.11 "Update Installation" process, and then copied over my bookmarks, and OWB seems to startup as everyone else is enjoying it to be, which has got to be good news for me.

AND . . . Folio is now working . . . a "tick" in "local storage" in the Settings/Privacy seems to have done the trick. :-)

[ Edited by NewSense 15.07.2018 - 06:32 ]
  • »15.07.18 - 01:29
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    By the way, it went well. This was a local group meeting with almost everyone demoing something, so I only had about 20 minutes or so. I gave a quick history of MorphOS, showed a few features of the OS, but spent most of the time just answering a slew of questions. There was a lot of questions concerning the similarities and differences to the Amiga, among other things. At another meeting in the future I'll bring it back and demo software, hopefully with most of the questions already answered.
  • »16.07.18 - 16:10
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    By the way, it went well. This was a local group meeting with almost everyone demoing something, so I only had about 20 minutes or so. I gave a quick history of MorphOS, showed a few features of the OS, but spent most of the time just answering a slew of questions. There was a lot of questions concerning the similarities and differences to the Amiga, among other things. At another meeting in the future I'll bring it back and demo software, hopefully with most of the questions already answered.

Cool. BTW - Where did you do the demo, Jim?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »16.07.18 - 18:39