[solved] Any success w. booting from an IDE-DOM (PowerMac G5
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Beforehand, I already filed a bug report for this issue on my machine. ;-) But I was wondering if someone had similar problems, or even succeeded in what I am trying to do?

On my G5 I got the following setup:
    IDE-Master: DVD drive
    IDE-Slave: 512 MiB DOM (Disk on Module)
    SiL3114: 640 GiB SATA HDD
    interal SATA: no devices

Partition layout DOM:
    Apple Partition Map - (HFS bootstrap Linux, ext2 /boot/, HFS bootstrap MorphOS)
    Partition layout HDD:
    Apple Partition Map - (SFS DH0:, SFS DH1:, several Linux partitions)

I don't want to use the interal G5's Broadcom SATA, since it has some glitches in Linux. The SiL3114 works much better and runs fine on MorphOS too. On the G5 Gentoo Linux is already installed. I use yaboot as boot manager, which boots via OpenFirmware into the 1st HFS partition on the DOM, continues booting a kernel from the ext2 partition on the DOM. Works really well once you got it properly configured. I want the MorphOS HFS boot partition too on the DOM, 'cause I suppose the SIL3114 has no represantation in OpenFirmware.

The partition layout of the 2 drives has been created with gparted on Linux. Booting MorphOS 3.10 I can create and manipulatie thr partitions as usual on the SiL3114. The partitions of the DOM coonected as IDE-slave <2nd.ide.device:1> show up too. But HDConf won't let me save the changes. The drive Icon of the DOM just stays red and HDConf won'T accept further input. The rest of the system continues to be usable.

So, has anyone tried to boot from a drive connected via IDE on a G5 and succeeded? And how if I may ask? ;-)
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »05.06.18 - 23:35
    Kronos
    Booting from IDE was the only option back when the 1st betas for the G5 appeared.

Been a while so thinks might have broken since.
  • »06.06.18 - 04:19
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Ah, good to hear this has been working at some time for some time. ;-) So chances are good that this issue will be fixed.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »06.06.18 - 11:49
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    Can you see the DOM partitions in the Morphos bootmenu?
  • »06.06.18 - 12:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

ernsteiswuerfel wrote:
    But HDConf won't let me save the changes. The drive Icon of the DOM just stays red and HDConf won'T accept further input.

Sounds like a read-only drive to me. Can you see the partitions in OF? That is a prerequisite if you think of booting from the drive.
  • »06.06.18 - 13:35
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    I can see the DOM's partitionms in HDConfig. And I can boot from the DOM into Linux, so OF must see the partitions.

Hmm, how can I check if MorphOS wrongly recoznizes the DOM as read only?

@Norbi:
    What MorphOS bootmenu? I use yaboot for the time being, but I can check if the OpenFirmware bootmenu lists the Linux HFS boot partition. There is no MorphOS HFS Boot: yet, as I am not able to create one.
  • »07.06.18 - 00:23
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    F1 key or left mouse button or parametr BM with boot.img (OF)

If OF see DOMs partition HFS and bootmenu Morphos see partition DOMs SFS, You can boot Morphos from DOM.

You need to know the access path of the DOM partition in OpenFirmware.
    Then you need to create the right data after boot.img in openfirmware
  • »07.06.18 - 11:38
    ernsteiswuerfel
    @Andreas_Wolf, Norbi:
    Thanks, didn't know about this bootmenu yet!

I can get into the BM via booting with MorphOS CD. The BM only lists CD0 as bootable. Which does not surprise me as CD0 is the only drive with a 'blessed' HFS partition with the MorphOS kernel on it.

Maybe I expressed myself poorly... The central problem is I can't create/modify a HFS-partition on the DOM to put the kernel on - 'cause HDConfig freezes when I want to save the settings on the DOM. If I could, it most probably would be listed in the BM and I could boot from it.
  • »07.06.18 - 15:42
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    Bootable is not important.
    Boot.img have parametr BD (boot device).
    You need add DOM partition to boot.img

for example
    boot hd:,\boot.img rd bm bd=dh0
  • »07.06.18 - 16:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    You can try to connect your pmac to a pbook via firewire in target mode and then try to format your pata disk. Helios firewire stack required.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »07.06.18 - 16:09
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Hmm, got another idea... As Linux is able to modify/format partitions on my DOM perfectly well, I might try to manually copy over boot.img, bootinfo.txt, etc. to the designated MorphOS HFS boot partition, bless it and see how that turns out.

Do I need to modify bootinfo.txt for this purpose, especially
    Code:
    <BOOT-SCRIPT>
    boot &device;:&partition;,boot.img ramdebug
    </BOOT-SCRIPT>

or will it just work by automatically finding a bootable SFS partition?

If I fail I guess I have to get a 2nd hand firewire cable and try Kornis suggestion. ;-) Don't suppose the bug I reported on this matter gets magically fixed the next few days. :-D
  • »08.06.18 - 22:27
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    Are you sure that this is a hfs partition and not hfs +?
    Hfs + on Morphos is read-only.
  • »09.06.18 - 07:22
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Thanks to all for your support and ideas! I finally was able to work around the issue.

I did a MorphOS 3.10 install on the HDD conntected via PCI-SIL3114, made a HFS boot partition on the HDD (dev/sda9). I rebooted into Linux, copied the contents of /dev/sda9 to my HFS boot partition on the DOM (dev/sda4). Used hfstools to 'bless' the boot partition on the DOM via

Code:
    hmount /dev/sdb4
    hattrib -b :

... and voilá, my DOM's HFS partition now pops up in the OF-bootselector and is usable via yaboot. Now Linux and MorphOS can happily coexist again on my G5. :-)

So the problem is solely rooted in HConf which freezes when trying to save the changes to the DOM on <2nd.ide.device:1>. Being unable to rename the otherwise fine HFS partition to Boot: IWizard won't find a boot partition and the installation can't continue beyond this point.
  • »10.06.18 - 17:29