NetFS revised
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    What a surprise Aminet has to offer, a new revised version of the old NetFS/netmount (from AmiTCP)! This is what I've been wanting for all the years :)

NetFS is a network filesystem for Amigas, and now natively for MorphOS too. It can mount any device on a remote Amiga compatible machine and it preserves all the protection bits and other Amiga specific file attributes (you'll lose them with Samba, FTP, etc).

The new version has lot of new features and MorphOS support. It removes mounts if the remote machine is turned off or rebooted, and brings the mounts back up automatically if it's turned on again. It has now password protection and much better way to select which devices can be mounted etc.

Get it from here: http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/NetFS-revised

I had a quick test and everything seems to work, it's fast enough and I can for example stream music and videos (simultaneously, heh) from the remote machines.

I configured my remote mounts with certain names (beginning with net#?) and added that pattern to the Eject sbar module, and now I can totally unmount the wanted mounts by mouse from the eject button. I also created deficons for my mounted machines to have a networking icon to differentiate them from the local drives etc :)

Here's a screenshot showing the features: http://jpv.wmhost.com/pics/netfs-revised.png
  • »21.12.15 - 12:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Amazing :)
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »21.12.15 - 12:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • fx
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    fx
    If I have the time I will try this out tonight! I have been using NetFS a lot lately so this is really great news!
  • »21.12.15 - 14:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    hmmm...so one can run WinUAE, network mode, set aside x GB for data and use it as a NAS to back up MorphOS..
  • »21.12.15 - 14:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    hmmm...so one can run WinUAE, network mode, set aside x GB for data and use it as a NAS to back up MorphOS..

I'm not that familiar with WinUAE.. if you use its bsdsocket-emulation, is there any config for the services/inetd when you don't have a real TCP/IP stack running on the Amiga side?
  • »21.12.15 - 15:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • fx
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    fx
    I have installed InetD from AmiTCP within UAE and it works fine, it takes it's "services" from the host-OS - took me a little while to figure out.
  • »21.12.15 - 16:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Nice, I need a new hdd for my PM G5 now.

[ Edited by Korni 21.12.2015 - 18:43 ]
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »21.12.15 - 17:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    Maybe not the good place, but I have two feature requests for the MorphOS team related to the NetFS.

NetFS is declaring itself as a network drive (DG_COMMUNICATION). It would be nice if:

1. eject.sbar could (optionally) automatically add the network drives to its list (in addition to the patterns).
    2. Ambient could use a def_netdisk.info instead of the generif def_disk.info icon for the network drives.

That's all for now. :)
  • »29.12.15 - 13:25
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    Quote:

fx wrote:
    I have installed InetD from AmiTCP within UAE and it works fine, it takes it's "services" from the host-OS - took me a little while to figure out.

How did you do that?
  • »30.12.15 - 14:44
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

Jeckel schrieb:
    1. eject.sbar could (optionally) automatically add the network drives to its list (in addition to the patterns).
    2. Ambient could use a def_netdisk.info instead of the generif def_disk.info icon for the network drives.

Two jobs for Geit...
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »02.01.16 - 20:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Two jobs, one geit :).
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »02.01.16 - 21:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    A new version is available on Aminet. :-)
  • »03.06.18 - 16:49