I give up .... PS Printer scheme how do you install your PPD
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I used the ßeta printing system by Zukow that used the USBPAR: device, that required installation of the necessary Devices and files to get it to work under MorphOS v3.9 for ages, and I had much success with that, and it worked very well with my Desktop HP 2500 Colour Laser Jet ( isn't shown as a supported printer, but yet the ancient Behemoth HP5CLJ is - WHY, but maybe it is already as "Additional printers are supported via emulation.") as it has Centronics, USB, and Network capabilities, and as it's a PCL5 and PostScript printer there should be enough features there to get it to work with MorphOS v3.10 .... WRONG, well not at the moment. :-(.

Anyway, now I believe the printing scheme is fully implemented/built-into MorphOS as originally intended, and just requires a PPD file to activate it (basically), so it should be simple to setup .... right? ............ Not for me. :-(

As the PPD file I used on the ßeta printing scheme is no longer recognised, well actually NONE of the PPD files that I offer the requester are recognised, and sometimes the Printers window goes off "Meditating" somewhere ... very annoying. :-x

So, what do you need to do, for v3.10 that you didn't do with the ßeta printing system before? :-?

I haven't seen any instructions on using it for MorphOS v3.10 so ... it's time to ask the experts. 8-D

I want to use the USB features of printing, though fortunately I have a Network Card as well fitted in my printer, but I feel sure a PPD is required for the printer to be fully recognised, and send data to the printer in the format it needs to make a fully legible printout.

[EDIT]
    I should also mention that many of the Canon BJC, and Epson Color Stylus, and HP Deskjet printers must have already gone to the landfill or recycling plant by now as consumables (inktanks/inkheads/cartridge) are probably no longer available anyway.

So, we need an up-to-date list of supported hardware, and the fact that I mentioned, during the ßeta testing that I had a HP 2500 Color Laser Jet surely should have been catered for, and added to the supported printer list. Though I don't mind it being added on once I get it working. 8-D

Bear in mind, those of you who use an inkjet that a Colour Laser printer offers an overall economy of saving waaaayyy in excess of an inkjet printer, as the toner never dries up (it already is dry), it never clogs an inkjet assembly, as it doesn't have one, and it's just powder bonded to paper, so no wet ink on paper that either runs, gets transferred to other items of clothing or fingers, etc...

[ Edited by NewSense 06.04.2018 - 03:22 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »06.04.18 - 03:11
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    As the PPD file I used on the ßeta printing scheme is no longer recognised, well actually NONE of the PPD files that I offer the requester are recognised, and sometimes the Printers window goes off "Meditating" somewhere ... very annoying. :-x

So, what do you need to do, for v3.10 that you didn't do with the ßeta printing system before? :-?

I didn't try the beta printing system before (IIRC), because my printer worked just fine when printing PS directly to it otherwise too. But now with 3.10 I tried to add PPD for my (network) printer, and the PPD file I first tried does work fine. But now when you mentioned about problems, I did remember that the PPD archive came with two files, ISOLatin1 and UTF-8 versions. What I have in use is the ISOLatin1 version, and I now tried to add UTF-8 version too, but it doesn't seem to be recognized. So, do your files happen to be UTF-8 versions (check the LanguageEncoding line inside the file)?

Quote:

So, we need an up-to-date list of supported hardware, and the fact that I mentioned, during the ßeta testing that I had a HP 2500 Color Laser Jet surely should have been catered for, and added to the supported printer list. Though I don't mind it being added on once I get it working. 8-D

I guess the printer list at homepage is what TurboPrint supports by dedicated drivers? Maybe it's too much to ask to list every compatible PS printer or so? :)
  • »06.04.18 - 18:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Thanks for your reply, and suggestions - you've been as helpful as usual 8-D jPV
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I didn't try the beta printing system before (IIRC), because my printer worked just fine when printing PS directly to it otherwise too. But now with 3.10 I tried to add PPD for my (network) printer, and the PPD file I first tried does work fine. But now when you mentioned about problems, I did remember that the PPD archive came with two files, ISOLatin1 and UTF-8 versions. What I have in use is the ISOLatin1 version, and I now tried to add UTF-8 version too, but it doesn't seem to be recognized. So, do your files happen to be UTF-8 versions (check the LanguageEncoding line inside the file)?

OK, here's some of what is in the top section of the PPD file
    *LanguageVersion: English
    *LanguageEncoding: ISOLatin1
    *PCFileName: "HP2500_6.PPD"

*% Product Name and Version Information
    *Manufacturer: "HP"
    *Product: "(HP Color LaserJet 2500)"
    *ModelName: "HP Color LaserJet 2500 PS"
    *ShortNickName: "HP Color LaserJet 2500 PS"
    *NickName: "HP Color LaserJet 2500 PS v3010.107"
    *PSVersion: "(3010.107) 0"

So, it should be quite obvious it's ISO Latin 1, so there's no reason, from what you've said, as to why I can't see why the PPD file won't add it into the printer list. I should also mention that I don't seem to be able to add a Profile UNTIL I've added the PPD file (seems logical), and obviously that relies on it being recognised - which it isn't, so this sort of issue, the number of printers tested should have been tested better, and with a greater variety of users' printers before it was fully implemented, as it does not seem to be working for me anyway. :-(

Also, my HP 2500 CLJ only came with the one PPD file, and that seems to be ISOLatin1, yet surely there should have been a selection of PPD files for known/supported/tested printers for a user to choose from with the MorphOS v3.10 release, rather than this situation me/we now find ourselves in. :-(

I've even checked the one I put in PageStream's Printers to see if that is any different, and even the HP Color LaserJet 5M that I also own is, surprise, surprise, also not recognised in the Printers PPD requester/allocation window, so there is something wrong there it seems as thst is a Supported Printer!

I should also mention that I used a MorphOS v3.10 Booted CD-RW - that had been "Injected" with MY MorphOS keyfile, using the now updated v1.12 RegisterISO tool by Guido "Geit" Mersmann, to be able to boot and install the hardware without the CD-RW 'timing-out'. So, as the RegisterISO tool has been modified, and possibly not fully tested - is this also an unknown factor that this may have 'affected' the ISO in such a way that some of the data in the ISO file has been manipulated into a different data format/structure, and this has caused some of the issues I am now experiencing/noticing? Of course, I cannot know if it is, but this obviously could be a factor as well.

Quote:

jPV wrote: I guess the printer list at homepage is what TurboPrint supports by dedicated drivers? Maybe it's too much to ask to list every compatible PS printer or so? :)

Maybe every currently available printer would be far too much to ask, but those tested with the early-Beta and during Beta-testing should have been added to the MorphOS Supported Printer list, which it doesn't seem to have been done, or my HP 2500 CLJ would already be on the list! :-(

Maybe someone will begin to see my frustration with this v3.10 release, that seems great on the surface, but boy oh boy, it surely doesn't deliver what all users would have been hoping for. No new OWB version, other than some beautification, and fixing, but it's not working with some sites that even I use, so how many other users are disappointed with it I dread to think.

Then there's this Printer system mis-firing, well actually for me it's not working, and that's a backward step from using the Beta Printing in v3.9!

Then my C-Media USB headphone and microphone adapter is also not recognised with the new Isochronous transfer implementation, but then ... I've only just found out its basically worthless Isochronous discussed on Forum.

So, is it surprising we find ourselves with the PPD Printers system not working as expected ... you decide for yourself, as I've already made my own decisioin, as it's too rude to publish !!!!
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »07.04.18 - 03:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    No-one got any suggestion as to how to implement/fix this printers option or is it just "broken" when supplied?

As I had the old Beta version working for a good while but this embedded/integral release just isn't doing it for me! :-?
  • »10.04.18 - 02:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    @New Sense: Take a look...
    By the way, i have the same problem with this mad new printing system from zukow.
    After logging vpdf i get this result:

MorphOS ID 3.10 (22.3.2018)
    saved: 2018 04 10 14:55

--- 20180410 14:55:55 ---
    myFreeClass : 0x1feb9d94_Group.mui objectcount =1
    MUI_NewObjectA : FAILED: ( 0) hash=060 builtin=148104a4 Group.mui
    --- 20180410 14:56:08 ---
    Temp file opened: T:_prt_temp_8ff45a4
    len: 70
    args: 'PROFILE="HP Color Laserjet CP1514N" COPIES=1 ARGS="" FORMAT=PS'
    len2: 62
    --- 20180410 14:56:54 ---
    before read args
    Opening profile Sys:Prefs/Printers/Profiles/HP Color Laserjet CP1514N
    generate exec line, filters 1
    cmd: gstoraster 1 1 1 1 "emit-jcl=false " "T:_prt_temp_8ff45a4" |hpcups 1 1 1 1 "" >PAR:test

Where the f**** is the prog gstoraster ???? Vpdf try to execute this f**** prog.

[ Edited by pegasos-sigi2 10.04.2018 - 15:22 ]
    Spreedy - The spreedsheet editor of MorphOS
    Calimero - Do you know about the new DTP Program for MorphOS ?
  • »10.04.18 - 14:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    What the f****:

zukow write:

Please, send me debuglog from logtool/getramdebuglog if any "Please instert..." requester appears. Check printing from VPDF first.

i forgot one requirement: gstoraster needs perl, so for non postscript printers, perl package is required (download and install morphos sdk). I'll rewrite it later.
    gstoraster require PPD environment variable poiting to the orginal PPD file
    (setenv SAVE PPD path_to_your_file.ppd)

To print a doc you must install the MorphOS SDK... ??!!??
    What !?! I had install this, but where i can find gstoraster ?

[ Edited by pegasos-sigi2 10.04.2018 - 15:39 ]
  • »10.04.18 - 14:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    Another .ppd ... the same problem with this exeption:

hpps 1 1 1 1 "" "T:_prt_temp_5c50832" >PRINTER:test

Where i can get hpps ??
  • »10.04.18 - 15:25
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    So...
    i have very little time this week but i'll try to provide some doc here at weekend.
    Regarding PPD files: current version is only for Postscript printers as release notes said. So nothing with cups shit will work. If ppd files has somewhere inside *cupsFilter line the printing system scans this line and tries to run cups filter/scripts provided in this line. This won't work. The problem with current PPD drivers for postscript printers is that for MacosX/Linux they include still some *cupsFilter line which break processing. I'll add some requester to MorphOS 3.11 to sign that PPD file is unsupported. Support for some *cupsFilters (especially the ones which were supported in beta version will probably come in 3.12).
    If printer supports postscript but it has some *cupsFilter inside PPD driver description You can:
    1) remove the line and regenerate driver
    2) try to get PPD file from windows drivers pack. As Windows doesn't have cups most of PPD drivers for Windows are clean and ready to use with my system.

Regarding installation:
    1) first generate driver on Drivers tab
    2) make profile from Drivers, you can have multiple profiles based on one driver (for multiple printers support or one printer with many profiles: color, gray, duplex etc...)
    3) VPDF scans profile folder so You can select profile using cycle object
    4) in other applications printer-handler PRINTER: device support profile argument to select to which printer it should send data. If none selected, the default one is selected.
    5) if some profiles is clean (so it doesn't have any cupsfilter lines) but is still can't be added to drivers or nothing is printed - please send me this ppd file. i'll check what is wrong.

[ Edited by zukow 10.04.2018 - 21:16 ]
  • »10.04.18 - 20:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

zukow wrote:
    So...
    i have very little time this week but i'll try to provide some doc here at weekend.
    Regarding PPD files: current version is only for Postscript printers as release notes said.......

If printer supports postscript but it has some *cupsFilter inside PPD driver description You can:
    1) remove the line and regenerate driver
    2) try to get PPD file from windows drivers pack. As Windows doesn't have cups most of PPD drivers for Windows are clean and ready to use with my system.

Regarding installation:
    1) first generate driver on Drivers tab
    2) make profile from Drivers, you can have multiple profiles based on one driver (for multiple printers support or one printer with many profiles: color, gray, duplex etc...)
    3) VPDF scans profile folder so You can select profile using cycle object
    4) in other applications printer-handler PRINTER: device support profile argument to select to which printer it should send data. If none selected, the default one is selected.
    5) if some profiles is clean (so it doesn't have any cupsfilter lines) but is still can't be added to drivers or nothing is printed - please send me this ppd file. i'll check what is wrong.

Thanks for this detailed reply Zukow, and for all your work on trying to provide MorphOS with a more modern printing system. I'm hoping to follow the advice of NewSense, and get a laser printer (color, or just black) in the near future, as I am fed up with inkjet print cartridges that dry up so quickly, making my cost per page ridiculously expensive, since I don't print out paper copies often.

@NewSense & pegasos-sigi2,

I understand your frustration, but don't agree with the tone of your "bug reports". Using a forum thread to vent is common place these days on most forums, but is sort of rare, or less frequent here on MorphZone, so maybe that is why the wording of your messages surprised me a bit. Don't forget that MorphOS3.10 is yet another FREE update, provided by programmers who are (unless things have changed in how the registration money is used by the MorphOS Dev. Team) working in their free time for zero compensation, hoping that some of the users will make donations to individual team members. I have no problem with users pointing out problems, but the best way to do that is with a "bug report" made to the Dev. Team, or individual team member who is responsible for a particular part of the OS release that is not working.

I can't ask that everyone stops using these forums to vent their frustrations, but hope that you will be considerate toward our hard working MorphOS Dev. Team members, and make some attempt to not be rude, or insulting to them, while you explain your problems and disappointments.

Edit: NewSense, as a current, or former beta tester for the printing system, you surely know how and where to contact Zukow with any bug reports, rather than using a MorphZone forum thread. I could understand using this forum to ask other users for help, and to ask if any other users are having the same or similar problems, which is part of what you appear to be doing with this thread.

[ Edited by amigadave 10.04.2018 - 13:15 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »10.04.18 - 21:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    @NewSense:

Ok, here it works now.
    1. Please take a look into the .ppd files. Drop any row with "*cupsfilter..." and rebuild the driver and profile.
    2. Don't use the PRINTER:... mountlist. Use PAR: and change the device and unit in the textfile.
    3. The new printersystem is postscript only at this time. Don't use a nonpostscript printer.

@ Zukow:

I can't change the device and unit for PRINTER:
    The mountlist below did't work for me.
    But i had seen that the printersystem generate a simple postscriptfile.
    So i can simple use PAR: to send this simple postscriptfile directly to my Color Laserjet with postscript emul.

/* $VER: PRINTER 50.1 (04.03.2018)
    * printer-handler mount entry
    */

Handler = MOSSYS:l/printer-handler
    StackSize = 4096
    Priority = 5
    GlobVec = -1
    Startup = "DEVICE=netprinter.device UNIT=0 TYPE=parallel"
  • »10.04.18 - 22:04
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Using startup=.... doesn't work. Just select output path in profile preferences to PAR:, NETPAR: etc, even file on disk. printer-handler will check profile and select define output path (it needs to be mounted). PRINTER: is required to have printer system working. Without it, You can only send raw postscript data to printer and no option from preferences will work.

[ Edited by zukow 10.04.2018 - 23:18 ]
  • »10.04.18 - 22:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

amigadave wrote: I'm hoping to follow the advice of NewSense, and get a laser printer (color, or just black) in the near future, as I am fed up with inkjet print cartridges that dry up so quickly, making my cost per page ridiculously expensive, since I don't print out paper copies often.

GULP ! Someone following my advice . . . Must seek legal counsel. :lol:

I'm sure you won't regret getting a Colour Laser Printer (PostScript) though I bought my HP 2500 Colour Laser Jet printer as a USED item, and I am particularly pleased with it as it has Centronics, USB, and Network options, as well as being PCL5 compliant, and PostScript capable, and the last toner cartridge for it cost me £1 and the last Print Drum cost me £4, so running costs are even cheaper than an inkjet, and the toners don't dry up, and last . . . well, as long as you own the printer ! ;-)
    Quote:

Quote:

amigadave wrote: @NewSense & pegasos-sigi2,
    I understand your frustration, but don't agree with the tone of your "bug reports".

This is not a bug report - it is a swarm of bugs - and the reason for complaining is: How can the "Printers" implementation be released - as it doesn't seem to have even been properly Beta-Tested (it certainly wasn't by me as a Beta-tester - I just used the Beta version with v3.9 with no specific recourse to 'Zukow' so it wasn't like I was a Beta-tester as such, just some user who was using what was available). So, as you know, it doesn't work, and not even like the Beta version which accepted my PPD, wheras this Integrated release doesn't even work, or accept my HP PPD - and why should that be, as the principle was supposed to be the same, as far as I understood what was going to be implemented, and there were no instructions in the release notes for it to be used, and no pitfalls or warnings as to any possible issues with it - which I am sad to say is much like a good few parts of the whole release. i.e. the Isochronous USB feature, OWB v1.24 limitations - both of which I have commented on.

Besides which if I sent a bug report off to the Development Team, then others would not know about this major problem with the printing system, and everyone who has a printer, and uses it with MorphOS needs to know about the issues with this release, so frankly I don't take on-board your comments as these failings/issues need to be addressed, and need to be brought out into the open, for everyone to know about. So that they do get fixed ASAP.

If it had been something specific, and of a minor nature then I probably would have only sent a bug report in, but it's not, is it?
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Edit: NewSense, as a current, or former beta tester for the printing system, you surely know how and where to contact Zukow with any bug reports, rather than using a MorphZone forum thread. I could understand using this forum to ask other users for help, and to ask if any other users are having the same or similar problems, which is part of what you appear to be doing with this thread.

Bong !!! sadly Dave that's incorrect - No, amigadave, I was not a Beta-tester, just a MorphOS user testing out the Beta printing system that Zukow had created as a stop-gap/try-out to full implementation of the "Printers" (PostScript) support for MorphOS, with no direct/specific Beta-Testing recourse to Zukow if I came across any problem. :-P
  • »11.04.18 - 06:31
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    Quote:

zukow wrote:
    Using startup=.... doesn't work. Just select output path in profile preferences to PAR:, NETPAR: etc, even file on disk. printer-handler will check profile and select define output path (it needs to be mounted). PRINTER: is required to have printer system working. Without it, You can only send raw postscript data to printer and no option from preferences will work.

The printersystem (and the printer-handler) needs a device and unit to work (take a look into the Turboprint prefs).
    If i write PRINTER: to "outputpath", the data goes to NIL:, not to my printer.
    If I wirte PAR; to "outputpath", the data goes to netprinter.device:0 and then to my printer.
    What i must do, to assign a device and unit to PRINTER: ??
  • »11.04.18 - 15:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

zukow wrote: Regarding PPD files: current version is only for Postscript printers as release notes said. So nothing with cups shit will work. If ppd files has somewhere inside *cupsFilter line the printing system scans this line and tries to run cups filter/scripts provided in this line. . . . .

My problem as they say "is not listed here" ... I can't even get the Printers Device requester to recognise my PPD file, some of the header information is in one of my previous posts (Thread #3), and I have searched through the PPD file which doesn't have any mention of CUPS in the text file, so this NEW printer system is still NEW, as it just isn't recognised. :-?

Can I return it for a replacement, as it's BNIB? :lol:

I select the PPD in the Devices generated requester but the file is never shown in the Devices window, and if I try again with another PPD file then the whole process goes into "meditation"

This is a shambles of a "Printers" release, IMHO, and also I am sorry to have to say this, but I should also mention that the previous Beta stop-gap worked, but this "sucks". :-(

So, is it possible to also install the Beta (that works) USBPAR: and use that instead as I just cannot print anything at all using this "mess" of a release to my HP 2500 CLJ? :-?

Personally I am amazed that the MorphOS Development Team didn't test this properly, or if they did that they didn't find these failing before it was incorporated into the v3.10 release, as this, along with some of the other "features" have made this, IMHO, the worst release that has happened for MorphOS, and again I am sad to be having to say this, but it seems to be a fact. :-(

[ Edited by NewSense 12.04.2018 - 04:58 ]
  • »12.04.18 - 04:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

zukow wrote: So...

Where should the PPD file be sent, as I only see a PM on your profile, that is, apart from your
    Old website - that is still your Official MorphOS Contact link which seems to be way past it's "use by date" - out of commission/dead, just like my printer is with the current Printers system. :-(
  • »12.04.18 - 04:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

zukow wrote: Using startup=.... doesn't work. Just select output path in profile preferences to PAR:, NETPAR: etc, even file on disk. printer-handler will check profile and select define output path (it needs to be mounted). PRINTER: is required to have printer system working. Without it, You can only send raw postscript data to printer and no option from preferences will work.

Should we really be having to be told all this, and have to modify PPD files that worked with the Beta release? :-?

Surely this "Printers" implementation should work - "out of the box" . . . . well directly after installation and supplying the PPD file for a specific printer, but having to mess about like this tends to indicate, to me, that it's not been completed to a mature offering, and should probably have been left in the box (off the ISO) - until a mature, useable version was completed.

I really am disappointed with much of v3.10, which I wish hadn't been released, as it just doesn't seem to be up to the usual high standard that we are used to, IMHO.
  • »12.04.18 - 04:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Zukow said on 10-04-2018: So... i have very little time this week but i'll try to provide some doc here at weekend.

So, about 2 weeks have gone by, and no response from the Development Team, or Zukow, to either reply as a PM to me, or through this thread, to resolve this situation, so I cannot print at all using MorphOS as the Printers system is blocking using the old Beta, that actually works, and the current v3.10 system won't even recognise the PPD file that Windows uses, and Macintosh uses.

I obviously cannot send the PPD file I have, via email as implied/suggested by Zukow, as he doesn't have a listed email on the MorphOS Development Team that is publicly/forum member viewable/useable, and works, so I am totally "stuffed" with regard for printing on MorphOS.

As I have said before this release, IMHO, is the worst yet, and responses from the Team members has been either lacking, or unfairly unsympathetic, or downright disgraceful considering the situation this release's installation has created.

I even had a full system lock-up with the Sound Screenbar module the other day, which has never happened in any other previous release I have installed.

[EDIT] I feel I must add-on my thanks to jPV, who has offered me the opportunity of passing on through his email address the option of forwarding my PPD file, which I have already done, for further investigation by the Development Team to get the "Printers" implementation actually working as it is supposed to, but doesn't.

I am indebted to jPV in many ways, and if all the Development Team, could/would respond in the same way (helpfully) then this predicament might well have been resolved already.

MANY THANKS, jPV 8-D
  • »23.04.18 - 18:07