MorphOS on AmigaOne X5000?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

esc wrote:
    The day I can use MorphOS on my X5000 with the Radeon 7750 is the day I purchase a license.

Why would I get a specific GPU to run MorphOS? That would severely limit what I can do in OS4, which is really the primary reason people buy X5000s. I mean, to put it another way, and again I'm not trying to be flippant here, but I'd be much more inclined to leave my X5000 as is and purchase a mac mini g4 for MorphOS. People aren't going to sacrifice OS4 optimized configuration to run MorphOS, which is a sad truth, but it is a truth.

I don't take your comment as flippant.
    I haven't purchased an X5000 because I can't justify it without enhanced support from MorphOS, myself.

I also don't take his comment as flippant, but I don't think it is 100% accurate either. Not every X5000 buyer is interested in running AmigaOS4.x as their primary reason for the purchase. There might be "some" MorphOS users who want new hardware, plus the ability to occasionally run AmigaOS4.x, out of curiosity, just to see how it performs and compares to their preferred operating system, "MorphOS". Sure, the number of MorphOS users who have bought, or will buy an X5000/020, or X5000/040, if/when the 4 core X5000 becomes available, are very small, but not all buyers are, or will be interested in primarily running AmigaOS4.x, instead of MorphOS. I do agree that most X5000 buyers will be AmigaOS4.x users, by a large margin.

Quote:

And Andreas, yes, some R series cards are Terascale, not most.
    But splitting hairs with you gets boring.

But splitting hairs is what Andreas does best! ;-)

[ Edited by amigadave 20.04.2018 - 19:02 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »21.04.18 - 02:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > splitting hairs

My interest to learn about TeraScale2-based R7 cards is genuine.
  • »21.04.18 - 06:46
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > splitting hairs

My interest to learn about TeraScale2-based R7 cards is genuine.

Funny. ;-)

By now you ought to be used to AMD/ATI throwing about names and relabeling older hardware with newer nomenclature. R5/R7...ah, whatever. No, there are no Terascale R7s. But there are Terascale R5s, while at the same time, there are GCN gpus that span R5 and R7 designations.

Its all so much BS.

Which is why I keep a copy of the AMD gpu family info from Wikipedia bookmarked.

That way when someone says "Caicos", I know they mean something that spans from HD64XX to R5.

And on that note, AMD felt comfortable enough with that gpu to let it span four revisions of its lineup, only replacing it at R5 3XX.

And THAT is why, when Mark said (quite awhile ago),"...about the only thing I need right now is Oland", I should have gotten on that quicker.

It HAS been in his sights, so...again..my bad.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »21.04.18 - 13:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    ...... THAT is why, when Mark said (quite awhile ago),"...about the only thing I need right now is Oland", I should have gotten on that quicker.

Don't beat yourself up about that, and I meant to request earlier that you either A. Post a list of video cards that Mark & Frank still need sent to them, to further video card driver development, or B. set up a web page of your own with a donate button, so the rest of us can send you money to purchase and ship the video cards that Mark & Frank need.

You have done a great job of sourcing video cards for Mark and Frank for a long time, and I think it is high time for you to allow some of the rest of us to help, even if it is just with the cost of obtaining and shipping the cards, by sending you some money via PayPal, or some other money transfer service you prefer.
  • »21.04.18 - 19:24
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    ...... THAT is why, when Mark said (quite awhile ago),"...about the only thing I need right now is Oland", I should have gotten on that quicker.

Don't beat yourself up about that, and I meant to request earlier that you either A. Post a list of video cards that Mark & Frank still need sent to them, to further video card driver development, or B. set up a web page of your own with a donate button, so the rest of us can send you money to purchase and ship the video cards that Mark & Frank need.

You have done a great job of sourcing video cards for Mark and Frank for a long time, and I think it is high time for you to allow some of the rest of us to help, even if it is just with the cost of obtaining and shipping the cards, by sending you some money via PayPal, or some other money transfer service you prefer.

Thanks David, but the cost and avaibility here (even in Europe) is much better than in South Africa.
    And it's been educational so far.
    Also, Frank usually buys better cards for himself, and I spend some time socializing with Mark because he's a good guy.

So it's kind of casual. Didn't want to make it sound like burden.

I would like to organize to buy Mark some X64 components.
    Specifically a Ryzen Gen2 cpu, some DDR4 and a decent motherboard.

You're all harping about the X64 shift, and Mark also said that faster X64 hardware would cut his compile times, making working with Oddesey and other packages easier.

After all, Bigfoot has contributed more than just graphics drivers.
  • »25.04.18 - 09:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Thanks David, but the cost and avaibility here (even in Europe) is much better than in South Africa.
    And it's been educational so far.
    Also, Frank usually buys better cards for himself, and I spend some time socializing with Mark because he's a good guy.

So it's kind of casual. Didn't want to make it sound like burden.

I would like to organize to buy Mark some X64 components.
    Specifically a Ryzen Gen2 cpu, some DDR4 and a decent motherboard.

You're all harping about the X64 shift, and Mark also said that faster X64 hardware would cut his compile times, making working with Oddesey and other packages easier.

After all, Bigfoot has contributed more than just graphics drivers.

I don't doubt that you have enjoyed helping the MorphOS Dev. Team by sending video cards and such to Mark and others, and getting to socialize a bit with them, but you could continue to do all of that, while just letting a few of us share in the cost, by sending you either more video cards that the team needs, or some money to pay for future gear purchases, and shipping costs.

Although I would never consider monthly, or even yearly, fixed contributions to Hyperion for development of AmigaOS4, I'm not opposed to sending the MorphOS Dev. Team a monthly, or yearly donation to help fund further development of MorphOS and the Odyssey web browser.
  • »26.04.18 - 01:41
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    @AmigaDave

Thanks David,
    I'll try to get this Oland card out, and the cpu cooler.

Then the next thing I'd like to go for is a video card somewhere from an RX560 to and RX580.

The new AMD socket AM4 motherboards aren't out yet, and the Ryzen 7 2800X isn't available out either (and at similar clock speeds there isn't much difference between the current 1800X and the new 2700X, so might as well wait).

And figuring out what memory is compatible will take awhile.

It would be nice to get some of this together by Fall.
  • »26.04.18 - 19:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Addendum:

>>> Does MorphOS 3.10 support the GbE controller of the P5020?

>> [...] a Realtek 8168/8169/8111/whichever on the network side

> I take this as a no ;-)

"P50x0_eth (New): A resource used for handling access to resources related to P50x0 Ethernet."
    http://www.morphos-team.net/releasenotes/3.11

What does this rather cryptic phrase mean? Is the GbE controller of the P5020 supported now?
  • »06.07.18 - 14:43
  • ASiegel
    It is not.
  • »06.07.18 - 14:45
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    outrun1978
    Am typing this from my X5000 and have to say I really am liking how MorphOS runs on this machine.... well done guys!!
  • »17.07.18 - 22:56
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

outrun1978 wrote:
    Am typing this from my X5000 and have to say I really am liking how MorphOS runs on this machine.... well done guys!!

I envy you there. What graphic card are you using?
    Andreas has made a extremely valid argument for the development of drivers for later AMD gpus, but right now the best cards we support don't have 3D support under OS4.
  • »17.07.18 - 23:52
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    outrun1978
    The Radeon 7750 is in an anti static bag in safe keeping until you guys are able to support it. Installed a Radeon X1550 on it last night and will try out a Radeon x600 and Radeon HD4890 today. My idea is to have some sort of happy medium across all 3 platforms, AmigaOS,Linux and MorphOS. I realise that it won’t do everything you want to yet but you have to sacrifice something.

The 7750 doesn’t yet support hardware acceleration in linux so am seeing how the older cards fare.

The taster I had on a Mac Mini G4 this past week more or less convinced me to do this.

Really like Iris it’s streets ahead of Simplemail and Yam. Folio is an interesting word processor. Blown away by the playback of a Mplayer on the X5000. Odyssey runs really quick and is more updated. MorphOS isn’t perfect I would like to see RuninUAE at some point. There is however a lot to like here and you guys should really be marketing this thing a heck of a lot better.

Sadly marketing of the Amiga in its various guises is perhaps its biggest downfall and the biggest barrier to any growth...
  • »18.07.18 - 05:56
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    The HD 4890 should perform well. The driver doesn't have 3D acceleration yet though.

The other cards you have do have 3D support, so that might be the deciding factor for you.

I'd love to see a solution similar to RunInUAE myself.

So, what do you think about the overall look and feel of the OS?
  • »18.07.18 - 07:53
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    outrun1978
    First impressions have been good I really like it a lot for me to do what I have done and abandon my Radeon 7750 card on OS4 should say a lot, it does feel like a modern day up to date version of 3.1 which i guess is no surprise given the history of the OS. I like OS 4 too but for me that feels like an extension of OS 3.9 so there are some subtle differences.

This is much quicker than it was on the Mac Mini G4 that i was using that had 512MB.

The big upside is that thanks to MorphOS running version 1.25 of Odyssey I can now use all the features of Wordpress again
  • »18.07.18 - 08:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > you guys should really be marketing this thing a heck of a lot better.

Marketing MorphOS in Amiga forums is what some say led to the exodus from amiga.org to amigaworld.net and then to the 2nd exodus from amigaworld.net to amigans.net (where finally mention of MorphOS has been barely tolerated) ;-)
  • »18.07.18 - 09:06
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    outrun1978
    @jim

More on the graphics cards i was going to try out today

Sadly the R600 that turned up off Ebay didn't work and i didnt realise that the Radeon HD 4890 was so huge it couldn't fit inside the X5000 properly without it knocking over the sata connections to the motherboard, so looks like I will be sticking with the Radeon 1550 card for the time being.

Spent a good part of today setting things up and installing/transferring things over in MorphOS and have to say really impressed with the speed of MorphOS on the X5000. Its very stable with hardly any instances of having to reset the machine. Odyssey is lightning quick, a SFS partition can be shared on the same drive between my OS4 setup and MorphOS to bounce between the two which is nice.

Have found Joystick support a little odd on MorphOS in comparison to AmigaOS. Was expecting my Logitech F-310 which was working on the Mac Mini G4 I was testring out, but the X5000 doesn't seem to want to play ball. Fortunately I have a few other USB joysticks in the 8BitDo and the Xeox Pro Analog which work. See there is support for X360 joypads too :-)
  • »18.07.18 - 16:15
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

outrun1978 wrote:
    See there is support for X360 joypads too :-)

Do note that the 360 driver also handles XBoxOne and PS4 Dualshock gamepads.
  • »18.07.18 - 16:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > a SFS partition can be shared on the same drive between my
    > OS4 setup and MorphOS

Just make sure to use a dedicated partition for this and not any partition that has MorphOS system files, OS4 system files or otherwise important data. See this and follow-up comments.
  • »18.07.18 - 20:50
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    outrun1978
    Hi Andreas

Thanks for the heads up and link about this, Although am not really a fan of reading pages of tirades against members. it is the single most offputting aspect about the Amiga forums in general.

Just for clarity about my set up on my X5000. MorphOS sits on one drive and AmigaOS sits on another. I have one 30GB partition on that OS4 drive which is SFS and just use it to transfer files so far it has not been an issue but am aware of the potential risks. All other partitions on that OS4 drive are NGFS. One potential issue for any OS4 users using NGFS is the long file names which then have to be re-saved under a shorter file name in SFS for it to save to the SFS drive.

The System partition on my MorphOS is viewable in Amiga OS 4 however I have taken the option to hide this to prevent any accidental issues.

Will also test out the Xbox one joypad I have later too 😊
  • »19.07.18 - 06:05
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    outrun1978
    updated my blog post with the following post

https://amigax5000.blog/2018/07/19/morphos-3-11/
  • »19.07.18 - 17:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > am not really a fan of reading pages of tirades against members.

Huh? That's certainly not what my link was supposed to be about.

> MorphOS sits on one drive and AmigaOS sits on another. I have one 30GB
    > partition on that OS4 drive which is SFS and just use it to transfer files

That should be a safe setup.

> One potential issue for any OS4 users using NGFS is the long file names
    > which then have to be re-saved under a shorter file name in SFS for it to
    > save to the SFS drive.

What file name length does NGFS support?
  • »20.07.18 - 22:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    255 characters
  • »20.07.18 - 23:54
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    outrun1978
    looking good. :-)

For anyone else curious about MorphOS on the X5000, I've swapped across to a Radeon 1650 card with 512MB which is giving me better 3D performance than the X1550 although sadly it had some issues with DVI output so this is being displayed with VGA output. Again the card only cost me £8.00 on Ebay so if anyone reading this is curious to try this out on their X5000's, I would consider giving it a go.

I do have a question in regards to the ACE (Amstrad) emulator if anyone with an X5000 has managed to try it out. It loads with no issue on my Mac Mini G4 but for some reason this will not run on the X5000. Is there a likely cause for this or does the program only support a G4 processor?
  • »15.08.18 - 17:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    If anyone is interested in a Cyrus Plus/X5000 for Morphos, you may want to start watching eBay. It seems some OS4 users are giving up and dumping their X5000. The last one sold for roughly half the price of a new one.

[ Edited by redrumloa 21.08.2018 - 16:12 ]
  • »21.08.18 - 16:55