FlowStudio and C for MorphOS
  • JJ
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    JJ
    Hi Guys,

Been away for a long time. Not really bothered since 3.6 , but just updated to 3.10.

Wondered if there are any good tutorials on programming on MorphOS. I know Java some programming ok, but C alien to me. Need to know language and how to compile.

Does the new IDE have features like buidling and running at the touch of button.

Thanks in advance.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2
  • »04.04.18 - 20:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

JJ wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Been away for a long time. Not really bothered since 3.6 , but just updated to 3.10.

Wondered if there are any good tutorials on programming on MorphOS. I know Java some programming ok, but C alien to me. Need to know language and how to compile.

Does the new IDE have features like buidling and running at the touch of button.

Thanks in advance.

Et voila! :)

https://library.morph.zone/Main_Page#Development
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »04.04.18 - 21:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Some updating needed on those pages...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »04.04.18 - 22:14
  • JJ
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    JJ
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

JJ wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

Et voila! :)

https://library.morph.zone/Main_Page#Development

Thanks, will give these a look
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2
  • »05.04.18 - 11:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Indeed. While those pages contain some relevant information when it comes to coding on MorphOS, they are definitely not useful regarding Flow Studio or the state of the IDE in general. This is an area where we definitely would need some good tutorial with step-by-step instructions. Anyone interested in helping out? :-)

To briefly answer the original question though: Flow Studio does have integrated project management so there is no need to manually maintain a makefile. You can simply set up a new project and add your source files to it. The project will build by pressing a button in the toolbar and it can also be executed from there. Compiler output will be shown in the IDE and it will be possible jump to any errors with hotlinks.

Additionally, there is an integrated debugger which will help you track down bugs in your code.

As I said, I'm sorry that all of this isn't documented at the moment so you might need to play around a bit to figure it out. It should however work in similar way as IDEs on other platforms.
  • »05.04.18 - 13:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Nadir wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Indeed. While those pages contain some relevant information when it comes to coding on MorphOS, they are definitely not useful regarding Flow Studio or the state of the IDE in general. This is an area where we definitely would need some good tutorial with step-by-step instructions. Anyone interested in helping out? :-)

To briefly answer the original question though: Flow Studio does have integrated project management so there is no need to manually maintain a makefile. You can simply set up a new project and add your source files to it. The project will build by pressing a button in the toolbar and it can also be executed from there. Compiler output will be shown in the IDE and it will be possible jump to any errors with hotlinks.

Additionally, there is an integrated debugger which will help you track down bugs in your code.

As I said, I'm sorry that all of this isn't documented at the moment so you might need to play around a bit to figure it out. It should however work in similar way as IDEs on other platforms.

I had a play with it last night as I found some old code from 2013 on my Powerbook. Flow Studio works very nicely indeed. I removed my own makefile and let FS auto-generate one.

Might actually drive me to finish up the screenbar and release it :)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »05.04.18 - 17:05
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    Maybe I did something wrong, but I could not create a working project when some source files are located in subdirectories. The generated Makefile contains the source files without any (relative) path and then cannot work.

Apart of this issue, it works quite nicely.
  • »06.04.18 - 06:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

Jeckel wrote:
    Maybe I did something wrong, but I could not create a working project when some source files are located in subdirectories. The generated Makefile contains the source files without any (relative) path and then cannot work.

Yes, that is not the recommended way of setting up a project. You should have all files in the same folder and if you want to work with multiple directories, it is better to have one project per directory and then link the projects in your workspace. I thought about supporting subdirectories or source files taken from any path but that's really just too messy, not least with the automatic dependency generation.

Using one Makefile per directory is by the way also the way typical projects relying on GNU make are organised, and for similar reasons.

Another thing is that I eventually want to add support for "virtual folders" to Flow Studio projects so that source files in a project can be located in the same directory on disk but be broken down into subfolders in the project tree as a way of organising large projects. However, as this feature would require quite a few changes and testing it is not a candidate for the next (3.11) release of MorphOS.
  • »06.04.18 - 08:17
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Jeckel
    Ok, it makes sense.

Anyway, being able to create a non-working project is a bit confusing.
    Maybe you could popup a warning when generating a makefile relying on files which are located outside of the current project directory?
  • »06.04.18 - 11:08