Migrate MorphOS to another hardware
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Hi.

I'm soon getting my new (old) hardware and I'd like to copy the complete MorphOS system that I have in use to this new hardware.
    What would be the best way to do this?

The old one is a PowerBook, does it still support 'target disk mode' under MorphOS?
    Then I could just copy the complete partition to the new hardware, once I installed a base MorphOS?

Manfred

[ Edited by asrael22 05.04.2018 - 17:12 ]
  • »05.04.18 - 15:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Yes. You will need to adjust links and possibly some minimal things. ValidateGG should take care of restoring default links in MorphOS SDK. You also might be interested in RAWDISK: and using partition images.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »05.04.18 - 16:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Remember to use the CLONE option if using the Copy command.

And if you have SDK installed, use for example MirrorCopy to copy it. MirrorCopy handles the soft-links automatically.

If using SFS formatted USB disk or similar, I'd copy/mirrorcopy files to it, and then run MirrorCheck to check file integrity. And repeat when it's been copied to the target system.

I usually do it that I run MorphOS installer on a new machine to get the partition layout properly, but then I format the newly made installation and use the installation CD to copy a backup from external media to the fresh partitions.

And yeah, RAWDISK: copy could be an interesting option.

[ Edited by jPV 05.04.2018 - 19:55 ]
  • »05.04.18 - 16:42
    Profile Visit Website