GRUNCH status
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    WeiXing3D
    Maybe I missed a post about GRUNCH and its status, so forgive me if this has been addressed before.

So here I go, is GRUNCH still working and it use to update apps and utilities? I keep trying and trying and never find anything needing an update. Or maybe nothing needs updating?

[ Edited by WeiXing3D 17.03.2018 - 14:10 ]
    MacMini G4 1.5GHz with MorphOS 3.9 FPGA MiST w/AmigaOS 3.9 (PFS3), FPGA Replay w/AmigaOS3.9, Amiga 1200 SCSI CD-RW, X-SURF 100 w/Rapidroad USB, External FDD with Chinon and Gotek units and Acer Aspire One ICAROS
  • »17.03.18 - 15:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    It would be nice to have 1 location to get new software and software updates like I have in Linux. I was hoping Grunch was that software but I dont think it is.
  • »17.03.18 - 17:39
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    The Grinch works as long as developers maintain their stuff at a steady URL (or keep an updated grunch-database at a steady URL) and adhere to a sane versioning scheme.

Very little SW listed in Grunch has been updated recently in part due to most SW developers being involved finishing 3.10.

/me hopes for some increased activity after 3.10 is released realsoonnow (aka 2moreweeks).
  • »17.03.18 - 17:49
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    My programs (RNO#?) should be up-to-date there. I didn't try if the recent RNOInfoScreen update actually works via Grunch, but I can't see why it wouldn't. I'm so sure that it works that I advertised it working from Grunch on news items :P

Grunch is really easy for developers once you do the initial work for the database. I now can just upload my program updates to Aminet and I don't need to do anything for Grunch. It checks automatically if there are new versions.

I think we'd need people creating Grunch databases for all the programs whose original developers won't bother do that themselves. Although it would be better if more developers would support it, but nothing prevents someone else adding programs there either.
  • »17.03.18 - 20:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

TheMagicM schrieb:
    It would be nice to have 1 location to get new software and software updates like I have in Linux. I was hoping Grunch was that software but I dont think it is.

Grunch is even smarter: many locations, one interface :-)
    Indeed, morphos-files.net based archives are critical.
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »18.03.18 - 17:44
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Sorry to bump an old thread but is there anything that I can do about the fact that virtually everything I click on in Grunch seems to just die because it is going to morphos-files.net which is no longer there?

Obviously not EVERYTHING is pointing to that URL but enough of what I choose seems to be :)
  • »10.06.18 - 12:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Papiosaur
    Maybe updating some path from www.morphos-files.net to www.morphos-storage.net for software don't localized on developers servers maybe news versions will appears.

If Geit is ok, i can update his database.

EDIT : i could do some modifications on the website if necessary.

[ Edité par Papiosaur 10.06.2018 - 15:25 ]
  • »10.06.18 - 13:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    I'm not necessarily concerned about picking up new and updated versions (although of course that is the point of a package manager), the bigger problem for someone that is new like myself is that when you browse through for things to install a lot of it cannot be found and I don't know where to go.

Your list is helpful - thank you.
  • »10.06.18 - 13:38
  • ASiegel
    @ MartinW

Please consider visiting the lovely links section here on MorphZone. The "file repository" section should be particularly interesting to you.

morph.zone/links/
  • »10.06.18 - 13:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Thanks ASiegel for the add :-D

As far as I can see, the link to morphos-storage.net was added by Beworld himself in 2016 :-)
  • »10.06.18 - 18:44
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Grunch databases should only be updated to the morphos-files.net to morphos-files.ppa.pl change. It seems that Geit has already updated his database, but HAK, Krashan, and Leif should update their databases too. Someone please contact the authors to remind the situation, I guess it's pretty much few seconds operation in a text editor with a "replace all" function ;)

[ Edited by jPV 10.06.2018 - 22:13 ]
  • »10.06.18 - 19:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Am I right in thinking the DBs are just XML? If so and it’s purely a case of replacing one hostname with another then that’s not a big deal and if that’s what it took to get it going, as an end user id be quite capable of doing that.
  • »10.06.18 - 19:49