Virtual Grand Prix 2
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Seems that http://www.virtualgrandprix2.com hasn't worked for some time. Does anyone know if it will come back or is there some other place to get the game for MorphOS or pay for the author?

Anyway it's one of the best games for MOS, so it would be good to be still available somewhere... Aminet upload would be good, but anyone knows where to reach the author?
  • »26.05.07 - 14:19
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    I'll contact Paolo and will eventually let you know, altough I think I
    already know this will be a temporary problem.

On another note, also some members of the MorphOS team know how to
    contact him, and I think the right time for working togheter again is
    coming...

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »26.05.07 - 21:16
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Hi all,

VGP2baseArc.zip, is the MorphOS executable there in ?
    Downloaded the "Virtual Grand Prix 2" archive end of 2005.
    I want to install the MorphOS version, can send someone the programm to me.

Grts, Amigaharry
    http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/ex
  • »28.05.07 - 16:09
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    OK, got a reply from Paolo. As I thought it is a temporary problem, Paolo is quite busy with some project and he is going to fix it as soon as he finds a bit of time, so the MorphOS version will eventually be available again for download soon(ish).

@amigaharry
    In the base archive there are "just" the datafiles. The executable was placed in a separate archive IIRC. I've asked Paolo if it is legal to spread the MorphOS exe, because while the MOS version is definitely freeware/donationware, the game itself (for Win and Mac) is indeed commercial - and this meand that I don't think it would be fair to upload to Aminet. We're just lucky that the author likes MorphOS, and showed his support this way...

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »04.06.07 - 18:13
    guruman
    In the meantime, those who already installed VGP2, might want to tweak
    a bit the gfx: there is a small (compared to other race sims) but
    active community of Mac and Win users that releases free updates to
    the game. I found one nice set of car, tyres and wheel textures, in
    256x256, 512x512 and 1024x1024 resolutions. With a G4 and a good
    Radeon I had no problems with the highest res ones. The archive is:
    http://www.siniscope.com/avatar/vgp2.5.zip
    Download, decrunch, set the protection bits if you are using that
    version of unzip, and copy 'macchinine.config' in the 'config/' drawer
    and the .a3et files of your choice (depending on the desired
    resolution) inside the 'materiali/' drawer. It is suggested to copy
    the original files somewhere as a backup in case something goes havoc!

The same guy that made this addon, is redoing all the textures in
    1024x1024, not just the cars.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »18.06.07 - 22:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    He released 2007 season car textures and drivers yesterday :-)

http://www.siniscope.com/home.html
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »20.06.07 - 08:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    \o/

And seems that 2.5 archive has moved to http://www.siniscope.com/updates/vgp2.5.zip :)

that file is gone. cant find it anywhere.
  • »15.12.17 - 15:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

jPV wrote: ... seems that 2.5 archive has moved to http://www.siniscope.com/updates/vgp2.5.zip :)

Do you still have those files, and if so would it be possible to get them from you, or for you to upload them to the MorphOS Files or to WArMUp for all MorphOS users to benefit from? 8-D

Seeing as they are no longer available from their original download website.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »31.12.17 - 01:54
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Hey guys, first of all happy new year :)

Regarding VGP2, if version 2.5 refers to update packs, they can still be downloaded individually here. Last update was from 2008, so everything should be there. You just unpack them in the corresponding drawers and alter the circuiti.config at the config drawer (shuld you want to add new tracks). Since each pack comes with a description, it's difficult to make a mistake. Also, if you have a 4:3 monitor and want a custom max resolution of let's say 1280x1024 you can edit the opzioni.config on the aforementioned drawer. Pay attention if willing to go for the HD resolution because the end VGP2 data will be over 1GB (so have adequate space on your partition). FYI, the game runs at full speed on a pmac 3.1 G4 1.6Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, 9800Pro 256MB on AGP 2x with HD packs.

I am also trying to get VGP (original game from '99) to run but although I reach the initial splash screens (epic marketing, islona, alien) the game throws an error (VGP/Hi, AGP/Hi uknown command). I 've messed with the stack, edit the VGP_DATA assign (from the scripts), tried to run through cli but I always end up on the same error. Funny thing is that the game run once on my wb3.1 emulated enviroment but then it throws the same error under e-uae as well. VGP is listed as RTG compatible on amiga hol so perhaps there is a chance that it might work on MorphOS too, has anyone tried it?

I am also in contact lately with Paolo (VGP series author). He informed me that VGP3 engine is undergoing under some heavy improvement. New version relies on OpenGL 2.1 and in case we have SDL 2.0 the port could be straight forward but that's all I know for now. Would awesome to have it G5 though one day :)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »01.01.18 - 09:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote: ... seems that 2.5 archive has moved to http://www.siniscope.com/updates/vgp2.5.zip :)

Do you still have those files, and if so would it be possible to get them from you, or for you to upload them to the MorphOS Files or to WArMUp for all MorphOS users to benefit from? 8-D

Seeing as they are no longer available from their original download website.

Hmm... I have that, but I think that pack is replaced by newer files at the official page (carset update particularly) like Cool_amigaN tells. I have these VGP2 related files besides the ones at the official page: VGP2-Monaco.zip, VGP2-Sepang.zip, vgp2.5.zip, vgp2.5_old.zip, VGP2baseArc.zip, VGP2mos1.06.lha, vgp2_carupdate.zip, VGP2_FIA_Cars_2004.zip, VGP2_Manual.pdf, vgphd_carset_complete.zip. But I think all the latest ones are now/still available elsewhere, so probably better that I don't update anything (possibly) older anywhere.
  • »01.01.18 - 14:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    I am also trying to get VGP (original game from '99) to run but although I reach the initial splash screens (epic marketing, islona, alien) the game throws an error (VGP/Hi, AGP/Hi uknown command). I 've messed with the stack, edit the VGP_DATA assign (from the scripts), tried to run through cli but I always end up on the same error. Funny thing is that the game run once on my wb3.1 emulated enviroment but then it throws the same error under e-uae as well. VGP is listed as RTG compatible on amiga hol so perhaps there is a chance that it might work on MorphOS too, has anyone tried it?

I think I never got it run on real classic (RTG) Amiga either, and that's why I probably haven't tried on MorphOS either :) Some demo version did work on real Amiga back then... maybe worth to try it instead of full game too?
  • »01.01.18 - 14:43
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    @jPV

Tried the demo, which is available on aminet,here for anyone to give it a go, however there is only AGA version which produces a blank screen and locks up my system. I believe that we have greater chances with the full game. Paolo seems to have rebooted his Pegasos back in February, will check with him and report back any findings.
  • »02.01.18 - 08:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I tried the MorphOS VGP2 v1.06 version from off Aminet - VGP2 v1.06.lha for MorphOS and it works fine on my MacMini running MorphOS v3.9 - is that what others here are using but having issues with?

There are 3 other files that are needed, though probably most know about these, but the link to the Aminet page for a short list to download these files is here: Aminet MorphOS file list for Virtual Grand Prix v2
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »03.01.18 - 06:40
    Cool_amigaN
    @ NewSense

No, VGP2 runs fine under MorphOS (with or without the update packs).

Original VGP, the game from 1999 (which is listed as RTG compatible) however throws up error upon launching.
  • »03.01.18 - 08:14
    Profile Visit Website