Hollwood coders - what are you doing?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Hey fellow MorphOS Hollywood coders on MorphOS - what have you done, are doing, will do with Hollywood?

My current major project is a tool to collect and manage information (picture, who actually is it? what's important to know?, birthday,etc) and contact data (address, phone, email, webpage, social media, etc) of ppl (friends, relatives, neighbours, business contacts, etc). With MUI Gui.
    Early development stage.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »29.09.17 - 13:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    I have quite some projects in the works, though cos of lack of time, progressing slowly. And not all might be finished at all.

1. A programm to manage meta data for images (location, comment, event, persons displayed...). MUI GUI
    Seems to be similar to what Zylesa works on ?

Basic functionality works, but fine tuning still has to be done.

2. Small tool I needed for developing purposes: converts UTF-8 Text (inkl. BOM) to base64 encoded string and vice verca. You can choose between "on demand" and "realtime". RapaGUI. Finished.

3. I played with the SDK, creating my first Hollywood Plugin of type LIBRARY. Adds a Beep command to Hollywood, beeping and flashing screen. Internally calls DisplayBeep() from intuition.library.

Was easier as expected, considering that i'm not a C coder.

4. A CLI command RemoteRun that executes a programm on a remote machine from within your local shell session/batch file (synchronous, asynchronous, user/password...).
    Works, but want to add some more features.

5. A Hollywood library (hws resp. hwa, not plugin) that adds the concept of streams (inspired by Java 8).

6. Did some experiments to call OS functions without the need to write a plugin.

7. Fullscreen (no window, no borders, etc.) text editor. MUI GUI. Misses error handling...

8. MP3 Player, reading AmiNetRadio playlists, support MP3 files and iNet Radio. Touchscreen friendly GUI (SCUI Lib).

9. Latest playground: getting ISBN as input and getting book information (author, title, publisher..) from an online source.

[ Edited by pOS 29.09.2017 - 16:31 ]
  • »29.09.17 - 15:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    Impressive list. I'm ready to do some tests if needed.
    And here's my project:
    Daysleeer
    Mac mini G4@1,5GHz silent upgrade + Xerox Phaser 3140 + EPSON Perfection 1240U
    Commodore C64C + 2 x 1541II + Datasette + SD-Box

I miss draggable screens... and do you? I know I'm in a minority unfortunately.
  • »29.09.17 - 22:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    As a Hollywood supporter, and hopefully soon a user who has created something useful with the Hollywood language & tools, could any or all of you three Hollywood programmers give me a short list of the first things you think of when beginning a new Hollywood program? I mean a list of common tasks that are generally needed for all programming projects, and just the top 5 to 10 things that jump into your minds, as routine tasks that might seem obvious to people who program regularly, but a beginner like myself might over look one or four of them, until I have learned from my mistakes.

If this is too off topic, I can start another thread.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »29.09.17 - 23:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    I think, unrelated of any language or framework, you need a project.
    If you don't have something concrete, and you want to evaluate, a "Hello World" normally is the first thing.
    Now, since Hollywood is very diverse, you could create a command line "Hello World" and a UI "Hello World" using RapaGUI, if that's what you want to use later.
    The thing is, even for such a simple thing as "Hello World", a lot of things must come together to finally see "Hello World" on the console or in a window.
    How you get there probably is just a thing of reading the documentation or some tutorials and having an editor for creating the code.

Manfred

[ Edited by asrael22 30.09.2017 - 10:04 ]
  • »30.09.17 - 08:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

pOS schrieb:
    I have quite some projects in the works, though cos of lack of time, progressing slowly. And not all might be finished at all.

1. A programm to manage meta data for images (location, comment, event, persons displayed...). MUI GUI
    Seems to be similar to what Zylesa works on ?

Basic functionality works, but fine tuning still has to be done.

2. Small tool I needed for developing purposes: converts UTF-8 Text (inkl. BOM) to base64 encoded string and vice verca. You can choose between "on demand" and "realtime". RapaGUI. Finished.

3. I played with the SDK, creating my first Hollywood Plugin of type LIBRARY. Adds a Beep command to Hollywood, beeping and flashing screen. Internally calls DisplayBeep() from intuition.library.

Was easier as expected, considering that i'm not a C coder.

4. A CLI command RemoteRun that executes a programm on a remote machine from within your local shell session/batch file (synchronous, asynchronous, user/password...).
    Works, but want to add some more features.

5. A Hollywood library (hws resp. hwa, not plugin) that adds the concept of streams (inspired by Java 8).

6. Did some experiments to call OS functions without the need to write a plugin.

7. Fullscreen (no window, no borders, etc.) text editor. MUI GUI. Misses error handling...

8. MP3 Player, reading AmiNetRadio playlists, support MP3 files and iNet Radio. Touchscreen friendly GUI (SCUI Lib).

9. Latest playground: getting ISBN as input and getting book information (author, title, publisher..) from an online source.

[ Edited by pOS 29.09.2017 - 16:31 ]

Quite a list.
    Your #1 is indeed pretty similar also on my list. Prework was my exif based renaming tool Exutil (accessing exif info, thumbnail browser, rapagui exercise,etc) and now the person information & contact manager.
    I send you a pm.

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 30.09.2017 - 19:18 ]
    --

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
  • »30.09.17 - 08:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Hey fellow MorphOS Hollywood coders on MorphOS - what have you done, are doing, will do with Hollywood?

Done:
    - RNOInfoScreen - front-end to various music and media players, and blanker
    - RNOAnim - IFF/GIF/APNG animation player, converter, and builder
    - RNOComics - Comic book reader
    - Tulosruutu - Results program for game competitions (not released publically)
    - SakuInfoScreen - Infoscreen program for our user group (not released publically, made with Hollywood Designer)

Doing (in order of priority):
    - Update to RNOComics
    - Desktop widgets program with few basic "widgets" to sit on your desktop
    - Very simple image processing program as a side product when doing other things

Will do:
    - Update to RNOInfoScreen after previous projects
    - In the very distant future, a game? :)

I'm also planning to write a quick and dirty "crash course to Hollywood" tutorial... maybe covering application development with MUI Royale mostly. (Done!)
  • »02.10.17 - 15:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I'm also planning to write a quick and dirty "crash course to Hollywood" tutorial... maybe covering application development with MUI Royale mostly.

I'll keep an eye on these forums looking for an announcement about your Hollywood tutorial release in the future. It is great to see several MorphOS users who are using Hollywood to program with, and I am sure we will continue to see more and more new software programs written with Hollywood in the future.

The amount of documentation that comes with Hollywood is very impressive, as well as the number of plug-ins and added features, since it was first released. Other than the Odyssey web browser, Hollywood is probably the most significant piece of software available on MorphOS, with Grunch a close 3rd, at least in my opinion.
  • »02.10.17 - 18:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Is it true that Hollywood can deploy to iOS these days?

If so I might just use it for a mobile app that I want to target both Android and iOS. It's either Hollywood, Xamarin or Titanium.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »02.10.17 - 19:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Is it true that Hollywood can deploy to iOS these days?

* Hollywood is now available in native 64-bit versions for Windows, Linux, Mac OS, and iOS
    * Mac OS and iOS backends have been completely rewritten, they are a lot faster now!
    * High resolution ("Retina") displays now fully supported on Windows, Mac OS, and iOS [...]
    * [...]
    * Lots of new features in the iOS backend
    * [...]

[...] Hollywood also supports the Android and iOS platforms.

http://morph.zone/modules/news/article_storyid_2324.html

:-)
  • »02.10.17 - 20:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf schrieb:
    > Is it true that Hollywood can deploy to iOS these days?

* Hollywood is now available in native 64-bit versions for Windows, Linux, Mac OS, and iOS
    * Mac OS and iOS backends have been completely rewritten, they are a lot faster now!
    * High resolution ("Retina") displays now fully supported on Windows, Mac OS, and iOS [...]
    * [...]
    * Lots of new features in the iOS backend
    * [...]

[...] Hollywood also supports the Android and iOS platforms.

http://morph.zone/modules/news/article_storyid_2324.html

:-)

Well, Hollywood does. But Apple doesn't. As of yet Andreas was not able to publish the Hollywood player for iOS - was rejected by Apple. The iOS compiler/app builder for iOS is also not yet publically released.

It is also important to know that making apps for Android is possible with Hollywood, but it's not choice #1 since many API features of Android are not supported by Hollywood.
    I did a few Android apps:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Hethis.de

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 02.10.2017 - 22:50 ]
    --

• »02.10.17 - 21:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Well, Hollywood does. But Apple doesn't. As of yet Andreas was not able to publish the Hollywood player for iOS - was rejected by Apple. The iOS compiler/app builder for iOS is also not yet publically released.

It is also important to know that making apps for Android is possible with Hollywood, but it's not choice #1 since many API features of Android are not supported by Hollywood.
    I did a few Android apps:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Hethis.de

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 02.10.2017 - 22:50 ]

That is not only on Android.
    Frameworks like this always are a compromise. In features, look&feel and speed. Sometimes is no way other than the native stuff.
    It may sound nice that Hollywood can do all this. But I think this time had better be spent otherwise.

Manfred
  • »02.10.17 - 22:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Thanks Zylesea,

It's a shame about Apple rejecting the player. Looks like I'm either learning JS or selling my soul and using visual studio lol
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »02.10.17 - 23:46
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Templario
    Currently in one bizarre game for Halloween!
  • »07.10.17 - 18:22
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    I'm also planning to write a quick and dirty "crash course to Hollywood" tutorial... maybe covering application development with MUI Royale mostly.

I'll keep an eye on these forums looking for an announcement about your Hollywood tutorial release in the future. It is great to see several MorphOS users who are using Hollywood to program with, and I am sure we will continue to see more and more new software programs written with Hollywood in the future.

Done! The announcement and the actual tutorial :)

Let's all do something productive now! You don't have any excuses anymore ;)
  • »31.10.17 - 19:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

Done! The announcement and the actual tutorial :)

Let's all do something productive now! You don't have any excuses anymore ;)

Thanks, I'll look at the tutorial tonight and think about what I want to try to create as a first Hollywood project, on my path toward programming productivity. I hope more tutorials will be written by yourself, and/or others, and that more non-programmer users, will take up the challenge to learn how to program, and produce something productive, or at least entertaining.
  • »31.10.17 - 23:23