Blade Runner 2049. Wow! Go see it! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »07.10.17 - 00:38
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    That's weird, I just made a reference to this and Ridley Scott's original movie (as well as some things about author Phillip K. Dick) to AmigaDave a little while ago.
    As well as discussing PK Dick and 'The Man in the High Castle' with former Yippie leader Dana Beal a couple of weeks ago.
    Maybe you don't need to have Artificial Intelligence to obtain immortality, you just need to be a really good artist and at least part of you will survive.

Today has been an odd day. I've been suffering a migraine for days, and as it's tailing off, I get to hear from AmigaDave, Bigfoot (edit - and Roberto Innocenti), and now you bring this up.
    Must be voodoo induced by my focusing on Pink Floyd (Echoes in particular) earlier today. Proof positive I'd say in old beliefs like talismen.

And now me and my ice pack are going to perform another act of Zen and banish the rest of a three day headache so I can go to my University's soccer games tomorrow.

Thanks for yet another, seemingly, random occurrence that meshed in with my day. Obviously the Harvest Moon brings me a change in luck (or it's all hocum and I'm just having fun with you).

Take care, y'all.

[ Edited by Jim 06.10.2017 - 20:38 ]
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »07.10.17 - 01:35
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Tuesday :-)
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »07.10.17 - 03:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I enjoyed the original movie in the cinema - the initial release, back in the 1980s - I was just about the only person in the cinema at the time - I knew it was a classic there and then, but it took a few years for some others to catch up.

I watch the original BladeRunner quite often on my home cinema system, and I have the metal cased collectors edition, though not the suitcase version as I decided against it, with the original sub-text - still my favourite version, though the slightly lightened version is just a little more enjoyable than the original as it is ever so slightly less gloomy/darker/shadowy a version.

I am waiting for the latest movie to be released on home viewing discs - as I like to have an intermission/break whenever I want to, and I can do without the interruptions of others when I'm watching a movie - a home cinema is a nice thing to have. 8-D

There are so many classic spoken passages/memorable moments, and music in the original BladeRunner, so I hope this one doesn't disappoint, after such a long wait ... even longer than the wait for v3.10, so far !! ;-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »07.10.17 - 04:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @NewSense

Just like you, I’m a true fan of the original. I have three versions on BluRay, watched it perhaps 20-30 times. I have all versions of the sound track, including the unofficial bootlegs. I’d say it’s the best movie of all times, all categories. In short, the movie has meant a lot to me.

So I was deeply very worried when I heard they were planning a sequel. It didn’t help that I first learned about it just after having seen the Prometeus “Alien” movie, which I thought was a huge disappointment. A disaster really, that kind of destroyed the whole Alien franchise by defiling (rather: pissing all over) the legacy of the original two films. I was afraid that a new Blade Runner movie would do the same to the original movie.

But it didn’t.

Their analysis of Blade Runner, of what things made the film so great, was accurate. The moods, the atmospheres. The dystopia. The pace! The film is 2 hours 43 minutes long, and had it been shorter it would have disrupted the pace, and it would have been a worse experience. They truly understood the original, and they treated it with respect. For example: While it is a SciFi film about the future, I like the fact that the film in a way builds on some *1982* vision of a future, despite being a 2017 movie about 2049. It’s in the details, and I think you’ll appreciate it. :-)

Perhaps Blade Runner isn’t for everyone. But if you loved the original, you will really like this one as well. It will by no means replace or eclipse the original (it doesn’t try to either), but it doesn’t defile the legacy, not at all, and creates out of its own strengths a solid place and a right of existence *in parallel* to the original. You could spot the true enthusiasts when the film ended. We were many who remained in our seats when the after-texts started to roll up, trying to grasp and digest what we had just experienced.

If your home theatre doesn’t have a 20m+ wide screen that can fill your entire vision and an audio system that can press you down in your seat, then you should see it in a real cinema. Also, the 3D for is once a core contributor to the experience, rather than a gimmick thrown in for some “wow”-effect.

Go see it!

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »07.10.17 - 07:52
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    @NewSense

Just like you, I’m a true fan of the original. I have three versions on BluRay, watched it perhaps 20-30 times. I have all versions of the sound track, including the unofficial bootlegs. I’d say it’s the best movie of all times, all categories. In short, the movie has meant a lot to me.

So I was deeply very worried when I heard they were planning a sequel. It didn’t help that I first learned about it just after having seen the Prometeus “Alien” movie, which I thought was a huge disappointment. A disaster really, that kind of destroyed the whole Alien franchise by defiling (rather: pissing all over) the legacy of the original two films. I was afraid that a new Blade Runner movie would do the same to the original movie.

But it didn’t.

Their analysis of Blade Runner, of what things made the film so great, was accurate. The moods, the atmospheres. The dystopia. The pace! The film is 2 hours 43 minutes long, and had it been shorter it would have disrupted the pace, and it would have been a worse experience. They truly understood the original, and they treated it with respect. For example: While it is a SciFi film about the future, I like the fact that the film in a way builds on some *1982* vision of a future, despite being a 2017 movie about 2049. It’s in the details, and I think you’ll appreciate it. :-)

Perhaps Blade Runner isn’t for everyone. But if you loved the original, you will really like this one as well. It will by no means replace or eclipse the original (it doesn’t try to either), but it doesn’t defile the legacy, not at all, and creates out of its own strengths a solid place and a right of existence *in parallel* to the original. You could spot the true enthusiasts when the film ended. We were many who remained in our seats when the after-texts started to roll up, trying to grasp and digest what we had just experienced.

If your home theatre doesn’t have a 20m+ wide screen that can fill your entire vision and an audio system that can press you down in your seat, then you should see it in a real cinema. Also, the 3D for is once a core contributor to the experience, rather than a gimmick thrown in for some “wow”-effect.

Go see it!

:-)

I'm curious how the cast is going to compare. There were some stellar performances in the original.
    I particularly liked Rutger Hauer's comment during the chase scene near the end.
    Just that casual laugh and "...where are you going?".

The only issue I have with either movie is the shift in focus to sympathy for the replicants.
    It diverges a bit too much from Dick's primary point, that machines would not be capable of true empathy.

After all, Scott is the one that focused on genetically engineered replicants. That is still organic. That wasn't specified one way or another in the original material, just that they were artificial.

Scott really did nail the environment right though. No wheels, Johnny cabs, space craft or any of the other devices Dick used in some of his stories.
    But the world is pretty much the way Dick described it in multiple stories, abused, run down, but with glitsy high tech devices and advertising.

There is some commonality here with the near parallel world of Total Recall (aka 'We can remember it for you wholesale).

And the foresights embedded in this stuff are creepy to this day. Customize news delivered to you, ads that follow you, technology increasing our disconnection from one another.

In a country that is now concerned about EMP burst from high altitude nuclear weapons detonation, that deteriorated, just hanging on world looks possible (especially the idea that our implementation of technologies wouldn't slow).

Dick has to be the only author that envisioned a future that wasn't quite post apocalyptic, it was post near apocalyptic and our humanity ( as it always has in the past) was once again being challenged.

Intense stuff. Fritz Lang would have loved it.

[ Edited by Jim 07.10.2017 - 08:35 ]
  • »07.10.17 - 13:32
    hooligan
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Blade Runner 2049.

Wow!

Go see it! :-)

I have never liked the original Blade runner.. I own the movie and have seen it 3-4 times. But I am open minded will go to see it next wednesday. Almost three hours... better be some fucking good entertainment there.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »07.10.17 - 14:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Blade Runner 2049.

Wow!

Go see it! :-)

I have never liked the original Blade runner.. I own the movie and have seen it 3-4 times. But I am open minded will go to see it next wednesday. Almost three hours... better be some fucking good entertainment there.

You may be in for a disappointment then. It looks like they really catered to the fans of the original movie, and at the same time created something that may not encourage multiple viewings (as the plot looks less layered and complex).

Visually it looks spot on though, and I'll pay to revisit that world again, even with my disagreements with the treatment.

Sorry to chime up again so quick. This stuff is as much a part of my make up as loud music and electronics.

I remember being a Radio Shack manager in the 80's and seeing my first electronic Bible concordance.
    The searchability and other functions made me think of Dick's description of a 'holographic Bible' that was different depending on what angle you looked through it.

Look, the rough edges aren't important, there were MORE in Phil's stories.
    It's the anologies and the perspectives introduced in the plots.

Almost everything that has been made from this guy's writing has been pretty good, except maybe for Screamers and Minority Report.
    And that last one? Tom Cruise? And then they try to make the precogs some kind of heroes. Just wrong.

[ Edited by Jim 07.10.2017 - 09:21 ]
  • »07.10.17 - 14:19