Crashes when accessing [VOLUMES]
  • Just looking around
    Hravnkel
    I am a beginner with MorphOS, quite enjoy the system so far and use my Mac Mini G4 as a BBS server running DLG. Very happy about this setup, it's a stable and easy setup that does the job.

I have run into a problem though, almost every time i click the ":" in a file lister from within an application - for example Scribble - to access all available volumes and assigns, I get a total freeze for that application that cannot be resolved without a reboot.

It get's quite annoying after a while, and I cannot really find any way to solve the problem witout the obvious "don't do that" which kind of limits the easiness of my MorphOS experience.

Anyone who's experienced the same or could help me debug this issue?
  • »01.10.17 - 20:09
    Kronos
    Could it be that the BBS server is creating some sort of virtual device that jus doesn‘t work prperly?

Try disabling any non standard SW to see if there really is a problem with your system or just with 3rd party SW.
  • »02.10.17 - 02:52
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I've got similar sometimes if I, for example, have turned off a remote machine which has a SMBFS mount on MorphOS, but IIRC it timeouts if you wait long enough? But an annoyance for sure... there probably should be a shorter timeout on volume lists or something...

But anyway, think if you happen to have any mounted volume pointing to non-existing device or such?

Could you also check if you have anything in the MorphOS debug log, which would indicate a real crash, and not just some timeout or deadlock issue?

[ Edited by jPV 02.10.2017 - 08:14 ]
  • »02.10.17 - 05:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Hravnkel
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    Could it be that the BBS server is creating some sort of virtual device that jus doesn‘t work prperly?

Try disabling any non standard SW to see if there really is a problem with your system or just with 3rd party SW.

You were of course right by this assumption. And now that you say it, it's quite obvious.

DLG mounts devices for each node. TN0:, TN1: etc.

I guess I need to either find a way of excluding them from the Volumes-list or simply not use it. Since BBS:ing is the prime use of my machine unfortunately "not run the application" is not an option. ;)

Thank you for the help and sorry for being stupid!
  • »02.10.17 - 17:35