Daysleeper (shutdown/reboot at time)
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    Hello!

I made a tiny app to shutdown/reboot computer at specified time.

Daysleeper_1.0
    icon
    appicon

Can you play a while, do tests, and post some suggestions for future?
    daysleeper1.0.png
    Mac mini G4@1,5GHz silent upgrade + Xerox Phaser 3140 + EPSON Perfection 1240U
    Commodore C64C + 2 x 1541II + Datasette + SD-Box

I miss draggable screens... and do you? I know I'm in a minority unfortunately.
  • »27.08.17 - 13:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    Quote:

Papiosaur wrote:
    Hello r-teat,

thanks a lot for this nice tool.

Can i add it to MorphOS Storage please ?

Of course, you can :-) Thanks.
    Did you find any issues, or have any suggestions?

Edit:
    Maybe you better wait a day. A new version with an important fix and tooltypes support is in its way.

[ Edited by r-tea 27.08.2017 - 19:38 ]

• »27.08.17 - 17:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    Hi,

I like the idea! Thank you for this application.

I still don't test it but is it possible to launch it from WBStartup or from Shell? And can we have notifications from MagicBeacon every 15 minutes (for example)?

Thank you again!

--
    /me will certainly write an article about DaySleeper for Amiga=Power, the French Amiga Magazine.
    Proud user of MorphOS since 2003 !
  • »27.08.17 - 20:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Nice app!

But the cycle gadgets are a bit odd, there is no popup menu if I click on it! And they didn't change if I click on the arrow on the left!
    I just can change it by using the Scrollwheel.

Its because you set MUIA_InputMode attribute to MUIV_InputMode_RelVerify, you don't need to set it!

And please add a "MUIA_CycleChain, 1" to use it via keyboard.
  • »27.08.17 - 21:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    Quote:

BatteMan wrote:
    Hi,

I like the idea! Thank you for this application.

I still don't test it but is it possible to launch it from WBStartup or from Shell?

Yes, it is, but there are no Shell/CLI parameters. It's a bit messy, because if one run it from Shell the tooltypes from the icon are still taken. I'm going to add typical Amiga CLI parameters.
    NOTE: I'm talking about the version on my HD. There's no tooltypes support in Daysleeper under the link above.

Quote:

BatteMan wrote:

And can we have notifications from MagicBeacon every 15 minutes (for example)?

Thank you again!

Ups.. have to find out what's MagicBeacon first :-)

Quote:

BatteMan wrote:
    --
    /me will certainly write an article about DaySleeper for Amiga=Power, the French Amiga Magazine.

I appreciate :-)

Quote:

igracki wrote:
    Nice app!

But the cycle gadgets are a bit odd, there is no popup menu if I click on it! And they didn't change if I click on the arrow on the left!
    I just can change it by using the Scrollwheel.

Its because you set MUIA_InputMode attribute to MUIV_InputMode_RelVerify, you don't need to set it!

You're probably meaning Daysleeper 0.9.3 found on Aminet (written in C). There's really MUIA_InputMode attribute set. Recently I had few reports like yours and I had no idea what's up. And you have pointed the culprit :-) Thanks! :-)
    The version I have showed up here is rewritten in Hollywood, and there's no InputMode set at all.

Quote:

igracki wrote:
    And please add a "MUIA_CycleChain, 1" to use it via keyboard.

I'll certainly do it. I like this attribute.

• »28.08.17 - 05:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > have to find out what's MagicBeacon first :-)

http://www.geit.de/eng_magicbeacon.html

> The version I have showed up here is rewritten in Hollywood

This explains why it's not "tiny" at all ;-)
  • »28.08.17 - 22:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

r-tea wrote:
    The version I have showed up here is rewritten in Hollywood

Are you new to programming with Hollywood? Why did you choose to use Hollywood as the programming language, instead of re-writing Daysleeper in C/C++, or some other programming language?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »04.09.17 - 05:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

r-tea wrote:

Are you new to programming with Hollywood?

Yes, I am.

Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Why did you choose to use Hollywood as the programming language, instead of re-writing Daysleeper in C/C++, or some other programming language?

Because it's simply easy for those who aren't deep enough into system API. Especially the Amiga API. There aren't tons of ready to use examples throughout internet, and crowds of experienced developers with lots of free time who are ready to answer questions from beginners.
    Look at this thread. It's even hard to find few people to do some simple tests that not require programing skills.

• »04.09.17 - 20:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    This program does not include a menu with the required MUIRoyale credentials. It's easy to add, just look to the examples or just add the fragment from below to yur .xml file:

<menustrip id="mymenu">
    <menu title="Project">
    <item id="menabout" notify="selected">About...</item>
    <item id="menaboutmui" notify="selected">About MUI...</item>
    <item id="menaboutmuiroyale" notify="selected">About MUI Royale...</item>
    <item/>
    <item id="menquit" notify="selected" shortcut="Q">Quit</item>
    </menu>
    </menustrip>

Of course you need to listen to the menuiem events and handle them in your event handling routine.

And please provide w/o MUIRoyale embedded (reduces the binary size quite a bit and most ppl should have installed the MUI Royale and RapaGUI plugin anyway.

Beside from that it seems to do what it should do - I still prefer to type in a simple "waitx shutdown" on the console for the same purpose though.

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 05.09.2017 - 00:52 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »04.09.17 - 23:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

r-tea wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

r-tea wrote:

Are you new to programming with Hollywood?

Yes, I am.

Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Why did you choose to use Hollywood as the programming language, instead of re-writing Daysleeper in C/C++, or some other programming language?

Because it's simply easy for those who aren't deep enough into system API. Especially the Amiga API. There aren't tons of ready to use examples throughout internet, and crowds of experienced developers with lots of free time who are ready to answer questions from beginners.
    Look at this thread. It's even hard to find few people to do some simple tests that not require programing skills.

Thanks for your answers. They just confirm what I already think about learning to use Hollywood. As for having a hard time finding help from experienced Amiga programmers, I think that there are still quite a few people who are willing to help, but you need to look in the right places, and/or hang out on the right irc channels, to find the most experienced Amiga programmers, and you also need to do as much of the preparation and beginning research yourself, so that you are not asking questions that are obviously easy to find the answers to. Many experienced Amiga programmers will not help beginning programmers who don't make enough of an effort to teach themselves the basics, but they are happy to help beginners who have learned some of the basics, and who ask specific questions.

It has been a big concern of mine for several years now, that the Amiga community (includes OS4, MorphOS, & AROS as well), is losing too much programming knowledge each year, as some of our members leave because they lose interest, or leave for "natural causes" (old age/death), and we are gaining too few new programmers to replace all of that knowledge. Naturally, new programmers joining this community, do not have the same kind of programming knowledge that the original Amiga programmers have, who have been within our community since 1985, so we still lose something, even if we some day reach a point where we are gaining exactly as many new programmers, as the number who are leaving.

Overall, I think that most experienced Amiga/MorphOS/AROS programmers, are very helpful toward beginning programmers in our community. The fact that the Amiga/MorphOS/AROS API is so different than Windows, MacOS, and Linux API's, and the lack of programming tools, is our biggest obstacle in obtaining more new programs and games.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »05.09.17 - 01:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    This program does not include a menu with the required MUIRoyale credentials. It's easy to add,

I know it's easy, but IMHO Daysleeper is too small application to have a top bar menu. It hasn't a bunch of options.

Quote:

And please provide w/o MUIRoyale embedded (reduces the binary size quite a bit and most ppl should have installed the MUI Royale and RapaGUI plugin anyway.

I'll consider a separate archive.

@ amigadave
    Anyway, have you tried it at all?
    Any suggestions? Found any issues?

• »10.09.17 - 21:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    @ Zylesea

First public version 1.0 is available on Aminet.
    Top bar menus and a scripted version are in future plans (among others).
    The latest thing I have added was -h option for CLI help.

• »14.09.17 - 08:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    @Popiosaur
    Thank you for adding Daysleeper to your web service.
    Can you place one of window's grabs I provided within the archive?
    Did you any try of my program?

• »21.09.17 - 21:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    r-tea
    @ Popiosaur
    It's really a good idea the screenshot. IIRC Aminet allows separate screenshots as well, but no one makes use of this.
    Is it required an application to be MorphOS native to be uploaded to morphos-storage, or it could be an 68k as well?

• »23.09.17 - 22:51
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

r-tea wrote:
    It's really a good idea the screenshot. IIRC Aminet allows separate screenshots as well, but no one makes use of this.

IIRC last time I talked with Aminet admin on IRC he told the screenshot feature is unfinished and it only works with uploaded picture files, but not with archives etc. They lack coders/time to finish it...
  • »24.09.17 - 08:15
    Profile Visit Website