Wireless
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    I have just gotten and installed MorphOS to a Powerbook G4 A1138. Things OK, the 1st problem I need help with is wireless. I have a wireless connection, it has a green light next too it, I assume that is good. I also have the wireless gadget on the top Ambient bar and it has bars going all the way up. But I can't surf the web with OWB. No matter what address I enter I get "Can't resolve host name." But, if I connect an Ethernet cable it will work.
  • »18.02.16 - 23:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Mine was flakey at first also. Make sure when you connect you hit save, then give it some time and see if it connects. Best I can do..I have that issue sometimes also.
  • »19.02.16 - 00:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Well, hate to say it but I have the issue...all the time. I booted into Mac OS X and it works fine there so it isn't the wireless card. I only have the problem in MorphOS.
  • »19.02.16 - 00:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Same here..but once I save my wireless prefs, I can reboot and it'll connect without issue.
  • »19.02.16 - 00:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    You may want to try and let OS X completely update. On my 15" thats the same model as yours I had to get the airport card to update its firmware to connect properly to my router.

thats done in an update to the OS. It could also be as simple as MagicM is telling you and your not saving the network prefs.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »19.02.16 - 00:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Too late for that, just installed MorphOS to HD hoping it would be better. It isn't. Have at least one other problem. Opening a new thread for that.
  • »19.02.16 - 01:03
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

But I can't surf the web with OWB. No matter what address I enter I get "Can't resolve host name."

What do you have in the "Host and DNS" settings on the network settings? Do you have something defined to primary and/or secondary domain name servers?

Can you ping 8.8.8.8 from the shell? Can you ping www.google.com?

I don't know if the connection quality would cause that kind of behaviour if it's not about the settings... but maybe you could try to improve that by changing the used channel.

Wireless channel used by the router can make a big difference. I had the "auto" setting in my router and the connection was just horrible sometimes, but sometimes it worked like a charm. I came to conclusion that it was mostly because of the used channel. Even though the auto setting should pick the least crowded channel, it doesn't seem to be the best option in practise always.

In my experience it's better to use some theoretically fast fixed channel, no matter how much there's traffic already. Channels 1,6, and 11 are such channels, but then, it was said somewhere in several occasions that channels over 10 (or so, can't remember exactly) are problematic with Apple hardware, so I'd pick between the channels 1 and 6 which to use.

I've now had channel 1 fixed in use from router settings for months, and my PB connection has been much better since. My better half also asked me that have I done something for the network, because her PS3 seemed to work much snappier. I haven't done any tests with it, but maybe it also got better and not only MorphOS machines :)
  • »19.02.16 - 05:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    I am really needing an intervention here. My wireless will work, then not, then work, then not. Each time all this indications inside MorphOS say that it should be fine. I have all the bars, the little indicator light in Network prefs will be green. But suddenly nothing wants to connect to the internet. I have tried a few different channels and this does not seem to resolve the problem. I can say that I have an other laptop and an Tivo using the same wireless wihout issues. Also, this hardware when it was still running OS X, didn't have any issues. So, I don't think it is the hardware. But, the work, don't work, work, don't work of this wireless is driving me crazy.
  • »19.02.16 - 22:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Do you use a network with user name and password?
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »20.02.16 - 09:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    One thing you could try, especially when switching between wifi and eth, is typing netconfig autoconfig in shell. Might also resolve no internet when connected via wifi.
  • »20.02.16 - 10:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Automatically using wifi if no lan cable is connected would be a good feature!
  • »20.02.16 - 13:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    @Yasu,

Ya I have a password. It is already stored in MorphOS and doesn't ask me each time.
  • »20.02.16 - 13:13
  • Just looking around
    FerociousAmiga
    Just made some time to get the licensed MorphOS. Did a fresh install to PATA SSD. Same Wi-Fi issue on my PPC Mac Mini. Did work well for a bit until I restarted. Wi-Fi works fine with OS X Leopard. Did the netconfig and doesn't seem listed the Wi-Fi but in network Pref I can see it (see screenshot). Any additional suggestions?

11lu9tw.png

Thanks!

[ Edited by FerociousAmiga 16.06.2017 - 05:25 ]
    -----------------------------------------------------
    MorphOS 3.9 (Licensed!)
    Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram, 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD)
    Amiga 1200, 68020
    Amiga 500
    Amiga 1000
  • »16.06.17 - 00:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Quote:

DFergFLA wrote:
    I have just gotten and installed MorphOS to a Powerbook G4 A1138. Things OK, the 1st problem I need help with is wireless. I have a wireless connection, it has a green light next too it, I assume that is good. I also have the wireless gadget on the top Ambient bar and it has bars going all the way up. But I can't surf the web with OWB. No matter what address I enter I get "Can't resolve host name." But, if I connect an Ethernet cable it will work.

Ok, replying with my Powerbook 5,6.

I'm going to change wifi settings and see if it gets all hosed up. If so, I'll see what I did to fix it. Its flakey, but once its set, I leave it alone. Shouldnt be like that. I should be able to change wifi settings without having to worry about this... here we go..
  • »16.06.17 - 01:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    ok, I have 2 places to set wireless.

On the top taskbar I have a Module (right click top right corner) and a menu pops up. You can go to modules and enable wireless. Even though I can select a different wifi hotspot, enter the password, it will connect but I will not have any actual network connection. If I reboot, it will not save it but revert to whatever was previously set up.

If I go to Ambient --> Settings --> System --> Network, I can select a wifi hotspot, connect but still do not have a wifi connection. When I reboot, my settings are saved and I do have a wireless connection.

Thats what works for me.

EDIT: For some reason my PB doesnt connect reliably to my Time Warner Cable router but my ASUS it does. It says connected but it drops and does not hold a connection reliably.

[ Edited by TheMagicM 15.06.2017 - 21:58 ]
  • »16.06.17 - 02:04
    Profile Visit Website