Maximum RAM?
  • Just looking around
    downsj
    Hi all,

New here. Didn't see an answer to this by searching, so I figured I'd ask. What is the actual maximum RAM available to use in MorphOS? 2GB? I ask because my 4GB G5 only reports ~1.5GB on the boot screen. Also, is the filesystem limited to 128GB? The installer won't seem create anything larger.

I've not gotten a key yet (seems they don't process registrations on weekends), so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

My specs: base 1.6Ghz PowerMac G5, 4GB 400Mhz DDR RAM, replacement 24x DVD-RW + SATA to IDE adapter, 500GB WD Blue HDD, and a 128MB 9600Pro using a DVI to HDMI cable to a WQHD display.
  • »05.06.17 - 03:27
    Kronos
    Some functions in the Amiga/MorphOS API return either an address or a negative error code.
    This would fail for addresses over 2GB. That addressspace also needs to ho,d i/o and the GFX cardleaving you somewhere short of 2GB.

Filesystems supporting >128GB do are supported, just not used as default.
  • »05.06.17 - 05:39
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

downsj wrote:
    New here. Didn't see an answer to this by searching, so I figured I'd ask. What is the actual maximum RAM available to use in MorphOS? 2GB? I ask because my 4GB G5 only reports ~1.5GB on the boot screen.

Quark kernel can use about the 2GB, but ABox (what you see in OS) is limited to 1.5GB. So in your situation you'll have all of the maximum of 1.5GB available for the OS and user, and some lowest level drivers are even using area above it. The rest is just ignored.

Quote:

Also, is the filesystem limited to 128GB? The installer won't seem create anything larger.

The default filesystem (SFS) is limited to 128GB partitions and you can use bigger HDs by creating several partitions. MorphOS also supports PFS, but it's limited to 104GB partitions. Those two are practically the only ones which are wise to be used for your bootable System partition, but for other partitions you could use other filesystems which do support bigger partition sizes. Although if you plan to use Work or some other partition for installed software, I'd still use a filesystem which preserves MorphOS file properties. But for data partitions for storage purposes, you could use even more alien filesystems like EXT2. IceFS is a MorphOS native filesystem which supports bigger sizes, but there are a bit mixed opinions about it.
  • »05.06.17 - 06:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Good answers jPV, but it would be nice if there were some FAQ or other informational resource that listed all the pros and cons and specifications of each available file system for MorphOS. Even after all these years of using MorphOS, I sometimes get confused about which file system to use for which purpose on MorphOS (I know, not too hard to confuse me about anything these days, as age continues to progress to ever higher numbers and my mental capabilities wax and wane like the tides each day).
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »07.06.17 - 16:39
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

IceFS is a MorphOS native filesystem which supports bigger sizes, but there are a bit mixed opinions about it.

What are the mixed opinions?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »07.06.17 - 17:16