RDesktop question
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dethknave
    Is it possible to use rdesktop to operate a headless linux machine over local area network?
    If so, how handy or annoying would that be?

[ Edited by dethknave 18.05.2017 - 20:10 ]
    M$ buys GitHub?
    'Bout time to panic
  • »19.05.17 - 01:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

dethknave wrote:
    Is it possible to use rdesktop to operate a headless linux machine over local area network?
    If so, how handy or annoying would that be?

I haven't tried this myself, but believe that other members of this forum site have done so in the past. Not sure how easy, or annoying it is to run a headless Linux system via rdesktop running on MorphOS?

I'm sure someone with experience will chime in on this thread eventually, once they see it.

[ Edited by amigadave 18.05.2017 - 21:35 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »19.05.17 - 04:34
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    It is possible but very atypical because RDesktop uses the proprietary RDP from Microsoft. It is their house product and first choice when connecting to a(nother) Windows machine what it was written for but it is not meant to connect to other systems. Though, you can install a server like http://www.xrdp.org/ on your Linux machine. The question is why you would want that. I suggest to go for VNC instead. It is slower in transferring because it uses framebuffer techniques but the protocol is open. Whether it will be fast enough for you depends on what you want to use it for: watching some console I/O or watching 4K videos are two totally different use cases. The first won't be a problem, the second will. You will find many different VNC clients and servers for your Linux distribution, so you pick the ones that you like best and install them. This eases access from different machines to the same server including the access from a MorphOS computer. There are a few clients available but you have to check that both the client and the server use the same protocol version, otherwise you can't connect to the server. If you want to use RDP instead, you only have very few choices.

http://aminet.net/search?query=vnc

[ Edited by Sprocki 20.05.2017 - 15:38 ]
  • »20.05.17 - 10:30
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dethknave
    Quote:

Sprocki wrote:
    It is possible but .........
    http://aminet.net/search?query=vnc

Thanks for the explanation Sprocki, it was very helpful
    M$ buys GitHub?
    'Bout time to panic
  • »20.05.17 - 20:39
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    I use VNC all day from my MorphOS 933Mhz system. It works great even on that "slow" system. Of course it mostly depends on the remote systems speed.

Before I used RDesktop to connect to a Windows Box, which i replaced by a Mint system quite a while ago, so i swapped to VNC back then.

It feels quite native and responsive. You can even use Gimp without any issues.
  • »20.05.17 - 22:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    I use VNC all day from my MorphOS 933Mhz system. It works great even on that "slow" system. Of course it mostly depends on the remote systems speed.
    It feels quite native and responsive. You can even use Gimp without any issues.

I agree. Also use VNC every day with my PB 1.6Ghz to connect to my RPi3, which is on 24/7. Gimp, LibreOffice and even Firefox/Chrome are very very responsive (one thing at a time of course). I can connect from and out of home.

And Transfer lets me connect through sFTP to the RPi3 and copy/move files around. Almost as good as doing it all inside MoprhOS.

[ Edited by emeck 21.05.2017 - 09:51 ]
    PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.18
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »21.05.17 - 07:51
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    It is possible but I think comment #3 says that you should not do so because it is not handy.
  • »06.06.17 - 16:48