lost my iconbar
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    Can anyone help me in recovering the statusbar ( with this quicklaunch-icons) ?
    I accidantally clicked the delete menu .. now i cannot find any menu to start the first of these bars ..
  • »26.05.17 - 07:09
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Waitsnake
    Well I also don't know how to recover a delated panel, aside from you have a full backup of your system that you recover completely?

But if it is enough to create a new quick launch panel here are the steps:
    1.) left mouse click on empty part of the desktop so that the menu bar on top is selected to ambient
    2.) right mouse click on top menu bar so that the ambient menu appears
    3.) to to: "Settings" -> "Ambient..."
    4.) a window "Ambient Settings" should be open now
    5.) on left list click on "Panels" and on right site the tab "Panels" should be open showing in a tree all your panels
    6.) click on Button "New Panel" and you have a new empty panel on your desktop that you can drag to any place you want
    7.) rename the panel and change all the options you like for it's appearance and press button "Save"
    8.) you can now easy drag and drop new application icons to your empty new panel
  • »26.05.17 - 12:42
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Before you do that check wether their is still a backup file as I don't remember ever disabling automatic backups.

Not 100% bout the path ( no MorphOS at hand atm), just search for a panels directory which might include something like "panel1.bak" which should be your panel before the last change you made.
  • »26.05.17 - 12:52
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    The files might still be in .recycled. If not, there's the sfs repair tool...
  • »26.05.17 - 12:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    First, don't write anything to HD (don't create new panels etc) before trying to recover the old panel.

The path Kronos is talking about is SYS:Prefs/Ambient/Panels. Take a look at that directory if you'd happen to have any files there. I think that deleting a panel would also delete the .bak file, so it might be empty after all.

Recently deleted files can be found from the .recycled directory as jacadcaps suggests. Open your System partition on Ambient and hit the / key and type .recycled after the partition name to get into that directory. Look for files with names like yourpanelname.prefs, there might be several versions of it with different ending, copy the latest one back to the SYS:Prefs/Ambient/Panels/ directory and rename it to end with ".prefs". Reboot and you should see the old panel again. If you want to do the same from the shell, cd into SYS:.recycled and do the same steps.
  • »26.05.17 - 13:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    Thanks a lot !
    I restored the SYS:Prefs/Ambient/Panels/ from an early backup.
    Nevertheless I learned howto get a panel out of darkness.
  • »26.05.17 - 15:38