Recursion 2017 - 1st July 2017, Saturday - it's 4th Year
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I got an email earlier today from Richard Barfoot, Head of Computer Science at KES School (King Edward Sixth) in Stratford Upon Avon (William Shakespeare's actual school) reminding me that they will be holding the 4th Recursion Event 2017 this year on Saturday, 1st July 2017, which is a FREE entry event and is open to the public from 1100hrs to 1600hrs.

I attended in 2015 along with bootwb on behalf of MorphOS users in the UK - when I managed to find a little time to spare to offer others a glimpse of MorphOS running on Apple hardware which was running MorphOS v3.9 - is it nearly 2 years since we had a full update?

I was too busy last year to attend, and in any case Richard forgot to let me know, and moreover it had slipped my mind at the time that there was a Recursion event in 2016, so I don't think anyone from the MorphOS community attended last year.

It's a fascinating event, which offers a look at the current education systems teaching of computing, on Raspberry PI and other mainstream systems, to the practical use of hardware, including robots being programmed, and 'drones' doing acrobatical flying in the event hall programmed by the youths from the school's club(s). There is also an Amiga section in the Retro Computing area of the main hall, which usually attracts many younger members of the communityto try out these 'ancient' but really entertaining systems, like PSX 1, PS2, Amiga 500/+, A1200, Nintendo Entertainment systems, SNES brought along, in the main, by the Retro Computing Museum, who let anyone try them out with some retro games - and they are all fully populated - all day.

There are food and soft drinks available on site for the public, and exhibitors alike, usually at reasonable prices.

Last time I was there Nick Clover had his X1000 and OS4. There are also some of the members from the Amiga North Thames User (ANT) Group with lots of their Amiga hardware. Nigel Tromans from the AROS project with his associated hardware, and his Amiga hybrid A500 system. There are other groups, some of which are retro based like the Acorn RISC group all of whom are knowledgeable on their subject, and will let you try out the systems, and answer as many questions as they can.

I am considering attending again this year with some of my MorphOS capable hardware - anyone else interested in going? :-D

I would hope by July 2017 I would be able to offer to exhibit MorphOS v3.10, otherwise it would be the same hardware and OS. :-(
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »17.03.17 - 01:39
  • Just looking around
    Thanks Neil.

Recursion "press release":

Now in its 4th year, the Recursion Computer Fair is back and will take place at King Edward VI School, Stratford-upon-Avon on Saturday 1 July 11.00-16.00.

Join us to celebrate 30+ years of Amiga computers and OSes - meet up with user groups, have a play on the latest hardware and have a chat with Amigans of all shapes, sizes and flavours! MorphOS, AROS, Classic Amigas, AmigaOS4 all side-by-side and not a pointless argument in sight!

The fair is completely free to all visitors and exhibitors and we are always keen to cram in another table of goodness: pm me or email rmbATkesDOTnet if you'd like to be added to the list of exhibitors. I'd especially like to hear from more user groups willing to bring along some kit to show off. Exhibitors get free on-site parking for the day and free refreshments all day.

In addition to the Amiga-like madness, the RISC OS Midlands User Group will be holding their annual summer show as part of Recursion and there will be more retro and vintage systems from the 70s, 80s and 90s than you could possibly play on in just 5 hours! Over 50+ systems to play with are currently booked.

There will be plenty of new stuff to have a go on too: hundreds of Raspberry Pis and Micro:Bits to play with; virtual reality experiences thanks to Oculus Rift, HTC Vive and PSVR; unmanned drone flight training; electronics and programming workshops and loads, loads more. Robotics and cool technology galore, with local Makerspace and Hackerspace stands. Hackathon competition for 10-18 years olds. Oh and an indoor planetarium from the NSA.

Recursion is the ideal fair for geeks of all ages and vintages - an ideal day out. See the Recursion website (run by KES students) for more details: Recursion 2017

Previous show reports and photos can be found here and here
  • »17.05.17 - 21:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Wow! Sounds like a great event. Too bad its hours aren't longer, or held over multiple days. I'd love to plan a trip across the "pond" to attend that show, but not this year. I hope they continue to offer this show for many years to come in the future, so I can save up the money needed to make a trip to the UK to visit AmigaKit, and a few user groups, plus this event, and drive around the country to see my homeland. From what I have been able to trace, I have family roots from Wales and Ireland, and I am closely related to the Walt Disney family (directly related to his wife's mother/his mother-in-law). Maybe while I am there I could find more information about my Irish Churchill relatives, and see how far back in time I can trace our family roots? Unfortunately, my Father's parents both died while he was still a child, and I have almost zero information about them and the Morris family roots, but I have been told that it is a very common name in the UK, which will probably make it even harder to find a family connection.

I hope you are able to attend and set up some MorphOS systems for display, to show everyone how great it is running on old PPC Mac hardware. I'll be doing the same again this year at the 2017 AmiWest Show in Sacramento, California, in October. If we are lucky, one of the MorphOS Dev. Team members is going to attend AmiWest 2017, but until I get a definite confirmation from him, I will say no more.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »17.05.17 - 23:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    At this time I don't see that I will have the spare time to travel down to/back from the fair, to exhibit/display some of my MorphOS systems, at the show. :-(

Besides which, the last time I went to the show in 2015 I showed off MorphOS v3.9, and since then there has been no changes/updates to MorphOS substantially, so I don't see there is much point in showing off the same system, with the same features as last time.

If MOS v3.10 was to be released in the very near future, then that might prompt me to reconsider my decision, that is - if the release was made in good time for me to inform Richard Barfoot that I would attend, but I don't see that happening at this stage, sadly. :-(
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »26.05.17 - 04:41