Game issues on my powermac g5, morphos 3.2
  • esc
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    esc
    Hey guys, I had a great system running on my G4 mac mini with morphos 3.2 fully set up. For some reason, certain games are giving me problems. I will list below, but for the record I'm running a powermac g5 2.7ghz, 1gb ram, 320mb hard drive, radeon 9600 pro. My morphos installation is fresh 3.2 with chrysalis (latest version as of a few days ago).

1 - BirdieShoot - fails to launch. snoopium shows that it's looking for either env:sys/ahi.prefs or i2s.audio, both fail to read.

2 - boulderdash - fails to launch, looking for freeanim.library.elf or freeanim.library, can't find it anywhere. Just grab this from aminet?

3 - boxikon - fails to launch, can't find env:sys/ahi.prefs or i2s.audio

4 - Classic Invaders - I get a popup, can't load sound file shot.ogg, snoopium says it can't find env:sys/ahi.prefs once again, i2s.audio, env:sys/def_muicon.info, muidebug, tabsize, powertermtabsize

5 - Duke Nukem 3d - sometimes it locks up on fullscreen. May be my radeon, which sometimes flickers or occasionally in osx has given some artifacts

6 - The Legend of Edgar - Completely freezes up on launch. It streams 125 processes on snoopium before totally freezing my computer. The last thing it tries to do is open continuesave (which obviously fails).

7 - Gigalomania - crawls. Can barely move the mouse to quit the game. No snoopium issues out of the ordinary.

8 - glTron - after playing, i can't close the mui console. Then when I try to open up a folder, it hangs on "Scanning location..." and won't populate any icons or let me open up anything else.

*** More reports to follow. I know you guys aren't here to help me troubleshoot games. I just would like to know if this is easy stuff to fix. I hope it isn't related to my gfx card :(
  • »19.06.13 - 02:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I can confirm Birdieshoot, and I have the same machine (but with a 9600 XT).
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »19.06.13 - 10:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Derringer
    Not for g5, but on PB:

Gigalomania also fails in 3.2. It is slow as on 3.1. Somebody here thought it is because using 3d element, which was not implemented in 3.1. But it is the same so...

Anyway a couple of games with problem:

9. Warzone : Menu looks awful, and the game is like a big cube versus a little cube. There is no 3d, really. While under macmini it is ok.

10. Openredalert. It seems that it needs only 8 bit screen. But i can't find where to switch it. Inside the game most of the gfx elements mismatched.

11. Homeworld runs ok, but overheating the pb after 15 min. So PB turns off.

12. uplink: starts fine, but then you can see only some switch. (or it is the special morphos :-o :-o hacker version: you need to solwe this and you get to the next level. :-D )
    MorphOS PowerBook G4 1,67GHz, 2GB Ram, 250GBHdd, ATI 9700/128MB
    Morphos G5 2,7GHz, 8GB Ram, 500GB Hdd, ATi Passive cooled 9800 PRO/128MB
  • »19.06.13 - 12:07
  • esc
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    esc
    I want to mention that all of these games appear to work fine on my Mac Mini g4 1.5ghz, 512mb, 64mb video ram. Same installation on my powermac G5 2.7ghz 1gb 256mb radeon 9600 pro is the one with all the issues.
  • »19.06.13 - 18:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    realstar
    I have noticed a lot of games and emulators with an auto-screen opening (best mode id) type
    feature seem to fail on this new graphic driver system. All of my own emulator ports seem to
    be failing as well when it comes to fullscreen modes. Having trouble with Mame fullscreen
    modes as well unless I manually select mode from file requestor. Again this points towards
    BestCModeIDTags() stuff not working. This is also on a Radeon 9600 Pro G5 setup.

- I see the lack of 15/16bit modes may be the problem.

[ Edited by realstar 20.06.2013 - 21:35 ]
  • »20.06.13 - 15:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    GigaLoMania runs here pretty slow too with 100% cpu and Gfx Ram usage on my G5.

[ Edited by Cego 20.06.2013 - 18:20 ]
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »20.06.13 - 18:20
  • HAK
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi esc,

Quote:

1 - BirdieShoot - fails to launch. snoopium shows that it's looking for either env:sys/ahi.prefs or i2s.audio, both fail to read.

I'm pretty sure, that both programs want to open a 16bit screen. Unfortunately those have been disabled on the G5. (Same would go with the Sudoku game from Silicon-Wizards).

Quote:

6 - The Legend of Edgar - Completely freezes up on launch. It streams 125 processes on snoopium before totally freezing my computer. The last thing it tries to do is open continuesave (which obviously fails).

This seems to be a problem with TLoE in combination with V16.0 of PowerSDL - it does work with V14.0.
    Since you stated that it does work on your Mini please check whether you haven't installed the V14.0 of PowerSDL on it - as it also freezes here on the Mini with V16.0.

Bye HAK
  • »20.06.13 - 19:43
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    HAK,
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure, that both programs want to open a 16bit screen. Unfortunately those have been disabled on the G5.

For the record, ModePro is able to promote Boxikon (and probably more games) to a 24bit screen. Not that the colors are correct after that...
  • »21.06.13 - 00:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Quote:

realstar wrote:
    I have noticed a lot of games and emulators with an auto-screen opening (best mode id) type
    feature seem to fail on this new graphic driver system. All of my own emulator ports seem to
    be failing as well when it comes to fullscreen modes. Having trouble with Mame fullscreen
    modes as well unless I manually select mode from file requestor. Again this points towards
    BestCModeIDTags() stuff not working. This is also on a Radeon 9600 Pro G5 setup.

- I see the lack of 15/16bit modes may be the problem.

MAME doesn't call BestCModeIDTags if you enable overlay, by the way. In that case, it just clones Ambient screenmode. It works nicely without selecting screenmode manually here.
  • »21.06.13 - 12:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    realstar
    Fab,
    Quote:

MAME doesn't call BestCModeIDTags if you enable overlay, by the way. In that case, it just clones Ambient screenmode. It works nicely without selecting screenmode manually here.

Not working for me. As an example I have Golden Axe settings -> Fullscreen+Overlay checked and I get message "Couldn't initialize video subsystem" If I take it off fullscreen or pick a mode from the requestor it works fine. This is version 0.148.

I am pretty sure all my emulator ports are failing because 16bit colordepths are not available which is always opened for fullscreen even if cloning the ambient display size. So I guess BestCModeIDTags is working fine but it fails to open a 16bit screen. I am guessing this might be fixed for next MorphOS release...? Anyway, I will probably go ahead and recompile my emulators to use 32bit fullscreen modes instead as overlay still seems to work fine that way.

[ Edited by realstar 21.06.2013 - 11:38 ]
  • »21.06.13 - 18:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • esc
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    esc
    HAK,

Correct, TLoE doesn't work at all :(

So, if a lot of us are having issues running existing software, is it an issue of contacting the developer/whomever ported each game, or is it endemic to the OS itself? Basically...I'd really like to maximize my sweet new MorphOS computer that I've set up but can't really take advantage yet :(
  • »22.06.13 - 20:24
  • esc
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    esc
    So are all these issues G5 issues or Radeon 9600 Pro issues? And does anyone know if there's a plan to fix this? :) One of my main reasons for upgrading to the G5/Radeon 9600 pro was for games, which now I can't play :(
  • »26.06.13 - 13:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I don't think it's the 9600. I'm running one out of a G5 in my MDD Powermac with no problems.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »26.06.13 - 17:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • esc
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    esc
    Acill, are you able to run the games listed above with no problems though?
  • »30.06.13 - 15:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Yes, all those games work fine on my system.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »01.07.13 - 03:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • esc
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    esc
    So is there any plan to implement 16 bit screenmode compatibility so we can use existing games and software? I'd hate to have to boot up the g4 mini just for a game when the g5 powermac is much more powerful.

Thanks! Otherwise, things are great :)
  • »01.07.13 - 03:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    One other thing I've noticed is that even old games like Duke Nukem 3D in very small screen mode eats up all of my processor when runned (although the game runs smoothly), and I use a G5 2,7 GHz with a Radeon 9600 XT. Which is weird I think since I can watch 720p MP4 movies with only 35% processor being used.

All of my other working games seems to be doing the same thing. They run like they should but eats up all of the processor. And these games runs just as well on my Powerbook G4 1,5 GHz.

Is this a bug?
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »07.07.13 - 17:58
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    still not able to run gigalomania fluently
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »03.04.15 - 13:35
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    rlitt01
    Quote:

esc wrote:

4 - Classic Invaders - I get a popup, can't load sound file shot.ogg, snoopium says it can't find env:sys/ahi.prefs once again, i2s.audio, env:sys/def_muicon.info, muidebug, tabsize, powertermtabsize
    :(

I'm also having problems with classic invaders on both powerbook/powermac. With the missing shot.ogg preventing it from running.
    Powermac G5(A1047) 2.3GHz Registered MorphOS
    Powerbook G4 PowerBook5,8 1.6GHz Registered MorphOS
    Powermac G5(A1047) 2.0GHz Registered MorphOS
    Icaros Desktop 3.0GHz
  • »15.08.15 - 16:20
    beworld
    Hi all,

I try to compile EDGAR the last 1.26 :-) so i have the same crash at game's startup :

I try 1.03 HAK verison ans same crash.....

So i search and i read : TLoE in combination with V16.0 of PowerSDL ...

Any news on this bug ?
    Or any help to fix ?

Thanks

Quote:

HAK a écrit :
    Hi esc,

Quote:

I'm pretty sure, that both programs want to open a 16bit screen. Unfortunately those have been disabled on the G5. (Same would go with the Sudoku game from Silicon-Wizards).

Quote:

This seems to be a problem with TLoE in combination with V16.0 of PowerSDL - it does work with V14.0.
    Since you stated that it does work on your Mini please check whether you haven't installed the V14.0 of PowerSDL on it - as it also freezes here on the Mini with V16.0.

Bye HAK

IMac G5 2.1,PowerBook G4 1.5,MacMini 1.5, PowerMac G5 2.7 died !!!
    My MOS ports
  • »12.04.17 - 12:05
    Profile Visit Website
    beworld
    so... i change SDL_HWSURFACE to SDL_SWSURFACE, it's working now...
    My MOS ports
  • »12.04.17 - 17:17
    Profile Visit Website
    polluks
    Quote:

beworld schrieb:
    so... i change SDL_HWSURFACE to SDL_SWSURFACE, it's working now...

Thanks for the port!
    How to you like my lang.rexx?
    Code:
    /* Set Unix language environment */
    address command "rxset LANG `search from MOSSYS:Data/ISO/639 $Language`"
    parse value getclip(LANG) with . country .
    address command ask '"Save LANG='country'?"'
    if rc=0 then SAVE=""
    address command "setenv LANG" SAVE country
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »21.04.17 - 14:00
    beworld
    mmm good :-)

i change LANG by language in code and i cut string lol, not a good solution.... :(
    My MOS ports
  • »21.04.17 - 16:23
    Profile Visit Website