Hints and rumoured sightings of the very shy 3.10
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    1080p H264/x264 mkv are being played flawless on G5 2.5Ghz. 720p h264 mkv are okish on PMac 3.1 G4 1.6Ghz. Buffering when skipping forward/backward is a problem but I assume that is caused due to the very slow and old IDE HD interface of my main system. Streaming over lan from a NAS is ok too. Highly compressed MP4 are usually proved to be a problem on the other hand.

With the G4, it could be a hard drive issue. And there is a fairly wide variation in how 720P videos are encoded.
    In any case, since redrumloa equipped the G4 I have with an SATA controller, I have an easy path to upgrading to an SSD (if I can find an SATA1 compatible drive).

BTW guys, I have an IDE to SATA adapter here I haven't tried yet that I'll eventually install on a dual layer SATA DVD-RW drive to see if that works. It would make upgrading to a dual layer drive easier than trying to dig up a PATA DVD drive.

Oh, and the G5's playback capability has been known for awhile, but the cpu utilization is still way too high with 1080P video.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »08.02.17 - 20:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I play movies in 720p on my pbook g4 1.5ghz whith a slow 5400 rpm hard drive have you tried to raise the stack of your filesystem?
  • »08.02.17 - 20:50
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

acepeg wrote:
    I play movies in 720p on my pbook g4 1.5ghz whith a slow 5400 rpm hard drive have you tried to raise the stack of your filesystem?

I'm pretty impressed with the data rates a 2.5" drive can produce, even the 5400 rpm models.
    I have them in two different X64 systems.
    They tend to be faster than 10K rpm 3.5" WD Raptors.
  • »08.02.17 - 21:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> High-profile H264 in 720p didn't work too well on my 1.5 GHz Mac mini.

> Really? Can you send me the file you tried so I can check it out?

This was the case with virtually all Youtube videos (except rather static ones like OS screen captures).
  • »08.02.17 - 23:50
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Any word on 3.10?
  • »23.02.17 - 00:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Any word on 3.10?

I've seen it running just a few days ago. My source claims that the release is imminent, but won't happen in at least one month (it pointed at June perhaps, but don't beat me if 3.10 comes later. Or earlier).
  • »23.02.17 - 05:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I was wondering if OWB is being updated for the next MorphOS release could I ask if it has been considered to add a gadget button (+) at the end of the TAB strip of windows to allow a 'New Tab' (+ gadget) to be opened as a result of that left click so you don't have to keep spawning a new window either by Cmd+T or right mouse click on a Tab and choose New Tab, as having the gadget would make it a lot easier - anyone else with an opinion on this request feature?

I'd also like when I go through my bookmarks and find the one I want to open to be able to either middle-click to directly open the bookmark in a New Tab, or right mouse-click to choose if I wanted to open it with as many options as possible (in same window/Tab or in a New Tab, or in a New Window, etc.). The option to open a Quick-Link in the same already opened Tab/Window or a New Tab or a New Window
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »28.02.17 - 20:40
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    Quote:

NewSense schrieb:
    I was wondering if OWB is being updated for the next MorphOS release could I ask if it has been considered to add a gadget button (+) at the end of the TAB strip of windows to allow a 'New Tab' (+ gadget) to be opened as a result of that left click so you don't have to keep spawning a new window either by Cmd+T or right mouse click on a Tab and choose New Tab, as having the gadget would make it a lot easier - anyone else with an opinion on this request feature?

What about the gadget button (+) in front of the URL line?
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »01.03.17 - 21:54
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:

I'd also like when I go through my bookmarks and find the one I want to open to be able to either middle-click to directly open the bookmark in a New Tab, or right mouse-click to choose if I wanted to open it with as many options as possible (in same window/Tab or in a New Tab, or in a New Window, etc.). The option to open a Quick-Link in the same already opened Tab/Window or a New Tab or a New Window

I see that button in all other browser. Firefox, Safari, etc.
    But actually I don't use it at all. A feature I wouldn't need.

Manfred
  • »02.03.17 - 09:42
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    eliyahu
    Quote:

I've seen it running just a few days ago. My source claims that the release is imminent, but won't happen in at least one month (it pointed at June perhaps, but don't beat me if 3.10 comes later. Or earlier).

awesome! i'm really looking forward to having something that unleashes the potential of my X5000. MOS+updated odyssey should be a great combo.

-- eliyahu
  • »02.03.17 - 14:37
    connor
    Quote:

polluks wrote:
    Quote:

NewSense schrieb:

What about the gadget button (+) in front of the URL line?

Yes, it is already there, and for me it is already a waste of space. And if youz have a few tabs open you have to scroll around anyway to reach it. Cmd+T is the quickest way and always works.
  • »02.03.17 - 17:10
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

polluks wrote: What about the gadget button (+) in front of the URL line?

Well, knock me down with a rolled up copy of the Amiga Future magazine! I never noticed that button specifically - even though it has MUI Bubble-Help as my mouse rarely goes within that area of the browser, but you have 'enlightened me' - I am so grateful. :-D

It's just a pity that it's not moveable to where you want to place/position it on the page/Tab area, but I can live with that I suppose, after all it's been there all that time, and I hadn't even noticed it. :-o
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »02.03.17 - 18:31
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Anyone know if there is any reason to be more optimistic for a v3.10 release sometime this year (2017)?

As it's now about 2 years since the last v3.9 release. :-(
  • »17.05.17 - 15:41
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Don't worry. I feel we won't be waiting long.
  • »17.05.17 - 16:00
    stephen_robinson
    Are we there yet?
  • »24.05.17 - 11:01
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Well, with a waiting time of 566 days since the 3.9 release, we have passed the 554 days it took for the (huge) 2.7 -> 3.0 release to get here, and we are currently travelling slowly towards the 1157 days it took for the (monumental) 1.4.5 -> 2.0 release, which is currently the only remaining unmatched waiting time, the all-time high!

So yes, I expect the next release to be somewhere between huge and monumental... ;-)

Given that none of us has been charged for any revisions since 2.0 was released, is there any good reason why the Dev. Team needs to wait so long between releases of revisions? Couldn't they just release each individual component as it is finished and beta testing completed on that item?

That would mean pushing out dozens of smaller releases over a similar time frame, and perhaps require a different method of providing the releases, or different thinking on how the releases are to be done.

IMO, if it is not too much additional work for the Dev. Team to release individual components, it would make the users much happier to have upgrades earlier, instead of waiting almost 2 years between major revisions. Charging money for revisions seems to me to be the main, or only reason for holding back the release of certain components, until other components are completed, so a larger package can be released at one time, but the Dev. Team doesn't charge anything for any of the revisions, so why hold back the release of some components, until others are done?

If however it creates too much additional work for the Dev. Team to release individual components, then I am okay with how things are right now.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »31.05.17 - 21:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    We don't generally release individual components because there's usually cross dependencies between projects. And they tend to mount the longer the break between releases is.
  • »01.06.17 - 00:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Can the break be likely to get any longer than 2 years between releases? How much mounting up is going on?

As I believe the 2 year wait date, and counting, for v3.10 is imminent - as I believe it was mid June 2015 when 3.9 was released. :-(

I also wondered if the 3.10 release will support ISO-13346 UDF DVD filesystem as some data discs sold for PC software, which we may need to be able to access to extract the data documents, and files from for future supported games seems currently to be basically inaccessible with MorphOS as it currently is setup. It would also be good to be able to access HFS Mac CD/DVD discs via MorphOS - for the same reasons.

[ Edited by NewSense 01.06.2017 - 04:38 ]
  • »01.06.17 - 01:43
    connor
    It is a pity to have to wait fort hat long but we won’t speed it up by repeating this phrase. So we better let the team do their work.
    I do not think it makes a lot of sense to write support for these disc formats. How many games (which exist for MorphOS or will most probably be ported) use UDF DVD or HFS CD/DVD? Are there any at all? And how many can you *really* expect to be available within 2-3 years? Reading these discs will help you exactly once: to copy the files to harddrive because you do not want to always read them from the slow DVD. So I think in that case finding another computer who can copy the files should be okay. There are a lot of features that would improve for many more people, e.g. multiple Radeons or multiple connectors on the same Radeon card or pivot mode for screens aaaand many more. I think the team should focus on things that more people can benefit from.
  • »01.06.17 - 14:03
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    It is a pity to have to wait fort hat long but we won’t speed it up by repeating this phrase. So we better let the team do their work.
    I do not think it makes a lot of sense to write support for these disc formats. How many games (which exist for MorphOS or will most probably be ported) use UDF DVD or HFS CD/DVD? Are there any at all? And how many can you *really* expect to be available within 2-3 years? Reading these discs will help you exactly once: to copy the files to harddrive because you do not want to always read them from the slow DVD. So I think in that case finding another computer who can copy the files should be okay. There are a lot of features that would improve for many more people, e.g. multiple Radeons or multiple connectors on the same Radeon card or pivot mode for screens aaaand many more. I think the team should focus on things that more people can benefit from.

Agreed, multiple Radeon cards would be one I'd like myself.
    Then I could install a Radeon 9200 PCI for Warp3D compatibility, while still using a higher end Radeon card in another slot.
  • »02.06.17 - 16:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    We don't generally release individual components because there's usually cross dependencies between projects. And they tend to mount the longer the break between releases is.

As I stated earlier, I am not too disappointed with how releases are done now, so I am not pushing for a change in how releases are done in the future, but it seems to me that the dependencies could probably be released first, which would allow more other components to be released as they are finished, which would prevent the build up of items that can't be released, because one is dependent on another, and that one is dependent on yet another part.

I'm not one of the users waiting for 3.10 because they want to purchase an X5000 to run MorphOS, and I think that there are probably only a handful of MorphOS users that are in that boat, but I could be wrong I guess. Look at how many X1000's sold, when most people thought that A-Eon would not be able to sell even all of their first production run, and demand surpassed supply of all three production runs, with a few users coming late not being able to get their X1000.

Like I wrote already, if it takes too much work to release MorphOS in many smaller updates, and the team already is stressed to complete the workload they have now, don't even consider my suggestions to release MorphOS bit by bit. On the other hand, if it is not any additional work, I don't think it is a bad idea to consider releasing the separate components of MorphOS as they are completed, and abandon the idea of bigger packaged releases, just to get the benefit of the "Wow" factor, that is experienced when a large number of improvements is sent out all at once.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »02.06.17 - 20:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Don't take this as a shot to the hard working MorphOS developers, but I'm a little disappointed how long 3.10 is taking to come out. I take it that despite statements to the contrary, the loss of a couple team members seems to have slowed things down significantly. The MorphOS Team used to be a machine, just churning out updates at a breathtaking pace.

I guess I got spoiled, big time. Again, not whining at the developers. My system still works, I just feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come :-)

If no new release ever came out again, I certainly got my money's worth and got everything I was promised and more. i just want a new release, dammit!! ;-)
  • »02.06.17 - 22:22
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Don't take this as a shot to the hard working MorphOS developers, but I'm a little disappointed how long 3.10 is taking to come out. I take it that despite statements to the contrary, the loss of a couple team members seems to have slowed things down significantly. The MorphOS Team used to be a machine, just churning out updates at a breathtaking pace.

I guess I got spoiled, big time. Again, not whining at the developers. My system still works, I just feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come :-)

If no new release ever came out again, I certainly got my money's worth and got everything I was promised and more. i just want a new release, dammit!! ;-)

I'm still enjoying your G4 PowerMac, Jim. I just bought a 1.42 GHz dual cpu card (I'd already upgraded it to a 1.33 GHz Xserve cpu card) and I've added an NEC based USB 2.0 card (for more ports). I have an OWC SATA SSD on order from AOTL, and I'd like to replace the SWB Live sound card with a VIA Envy24HT based card.
    Then eventually I will upgrade the Radeon 9600 video card I installed as a replacement for your 9000, with an X800XT, or a X1950Pro AGP.
    OR, if we're really lucky, when Bigfoot gives us R600 accelerated drivers, he'll include the 3850 AGP variant and I can really push the system.

BTW - If any of you ever sell a dual 1.8 GHz 7448 cpu card let me know.

SO...I'm waiting for 3.10, AND whatever comes after.
    Not necessarily for the X5000 support, because I'm not buying one of those until the X5000/40 is introduced, but rather just because I like the new features each revision brings us.

[ Edited by Jim 02.06.2017 - 20:58 ]
  • »02.06.17 - 23:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    To me, I dont know of anything that I would need on my G5 other than recognizing more RAM.
  • »03.06.17 - 00:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    To me, I dont know of anything that I would need on my G5 other than recognizing more RAM.

That's an OS3.x legacy issue, although here ought to be something that could be done will the extra memory.
    I still want a better video card.
    But the X800XT is pretty good (probably an even better performer than the X1950Pro AGP)
  • »03.06.17 - 00:56