Ethernet speed issues with SMBFS ?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Hi all,
    can u please help me track down the culprit or bottleneck of my (supposed) ethernet slowness ?
    Recently I upgraded my whole network to gigabit, and with MOS 3.9 I can finally "enjoy" (or enjoy only in theory ?) my gigabit lan port. I hoped to gain a 10x speed increase but unfortunately it seems NOT the case...
    I'm quite disappointed by the speed I get reading and writing to my file server or other PCs in the network. I'm useing SMBFS, the one which comes with MOS 3.9 (I haven't tried with FTP yet, I prefer SMBFS for obvious reasons).

But let's just take my file server... it's a powerful machine, double Xeon 5060, 16 GB RAM, Supermicro mobo, Intel gigabit ethernet controller, NAS4Free installed. At most I get about 12.5 MB/sec writing and about 10 MB/sec reading (playing with the buffers and settings there did NOT help substantially).
    Same thing more or less when writing or reading to XP or Win7 shares, always an average of 10MB/Sec.

My PCs instead are about 2.5-3 times faster writing or reading to the file server.

Really there's a bottleneck somewhere and I can't understand where... In the end, if I connect my Peg to the ethernet with the 10/100 port instead of the gigabit, I see no difference. Is that possible at all ?

What annoys me A LOT is, the network screen bar module insists my NIC is working at 100 Mbps (a bug ?), while my gigabit link says the Peg is connected at 1000 Mbps. Who does tell the truth here ?

Also, I tried playing with MOS network buffers but that didn't help either. Strangely, it seems that I must leave them to the default which is 32768... writing and reading performance (mostly reading) is furtherly degraded if I increase to 65536 or if I decrease to 16384.

Any suggestion is appreciated, thank u in advance
    .B
  • »15.02.17 - 19:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > can u please help me track down the culprit or bottleneck of my (supposed) ethernet
    > slowness ? [...] I haven't tried with FTP yet

Please try with FTP, so you have something to compare to.

> I get about 12.5 MB/sec writing and about 10 MB/sec reading [...]. Really there's a
    > bottleneck somewhere and I can't understand where... [...] if I connect my Peg to
    > the ethernet with the 10/100 port instead of the gigabit, I see no difference.
    > Is that possible at all ?

Current NetStack as well as the SANA-II driver interface aren't really fit for GbE level performance. I doubt any MorphOS user gets significantly higher values than you.
  • »15.02.17 - 20:02
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Just tried... with FTP it's even worse... about 3.5 MB/s :O

Thank u for ur answer... even if, honestly, that was the least thing I wanted to hear :(
    What a pity...

.B
  • »16.02.17 - 17:10